“It Was Good for the Purpose”

Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown
Ranked #41 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“It Was Good for the Purpose”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for my daughter's cheer competition. The lobby was very nice, but after we checked in the room on the 4th floor was a HUGE disappointment. The carpet was very worn, the paint in the bathroom was peeling, there was mold in the bathroom walls and the shower curtain was stained-overall, YUCK! I learned later that the upper floors were renovated. I requested that we be moved, but the staff couldn't accomodate me until the next day. So, for 3 days we stayed in the better room.

The rooms on the 7th and 8th floors are renovated and are much better. The hotel should NOT charge full price to stay on these lower floors as they really are unacceptable unless the rate is say $50/night-seriously.

Overall however, the staff was excellent, well trained and friendly. The breakfast was nice and always well stocked with supplies.

The free shuttle to anywhere in the downtown area was very nice as it saved on cab rides.

I would not stay at this property for a vacation but for this purpose, it was fine.,

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 7th or 8th floors-if you can't get a renovated room, RUN!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
HIENASHVILLEDT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
On behalf of my team, thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us feedback on your experience at the award winning Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and for recognizing the efforts of our service team to exceed your expectations. With that said, I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the apparent discomfort you experience on your first day. I am, however, thrilled that we were able to relocate you to another room that better suits your needs. Our team of hospitality professionals will literally do anything in their power to ensure each of our guests has an award winning experience.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your time with us.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I had to keep reminding myself that I was staying at a Holiday Inn Express. No, I didn’t feel smarter or wiser and start offering advice to everyone as their commercial implies I should! I booked using points just in case my team didn’t make the Final 4, but they made the finals until Gino’s MVP Dee Kanter and her Connecticut friends got their way and made it no contest! Once I knew I was going for sure, I emailed the hotel to ask about the shuttle service thanks to a previous reviewer’s comments on TripAdvisor.com, the best web site to research places to stay, eat, see, etc. Because of my Platinum (Ambassador) status with the IHG group (formerly known as Holiday Inn before Intercontinental took charge), I was given an upgrade by the general manager, Doug Vandenberg. I can’t prove it, but I could have sworn that my reservation showed a 2 room Executive suite on their IHG web site, but I was only given a regular Executive suite. When I checked my reservation after I had checked in, it showed just an Executive suite so either I imagined something or they changed it between the time I looked on Saturday morning and when I checked in on Saturday afternoon. I am not counting this against them since it could have just have been one of those “senior” moments (even though I still have a few years to be “senior”) on my part. The room was fine, and, again, I had to keep reminding myself where I was. I have been spoiled by staying at Intercontinentals in Paris (both locations), Frankfurt, and Chicago. The executive floor at Holiday Inn Express means a room on a higher floor that was in the most recent renovation. There are no lounges, perks, etc. Because of my status, I was given a choice of a bottle of water and a snack or 500 extra points; I chose the points and they posted while I was still in Nashville so great service there! Although I didn’t check out any other rooms, I would be surprised if my room was any different from most king bed rooms except for the floor and possibly a few minor decorating updates. I did like having 4 pillows: 2 firm and 2 soft according the pillow cases. I put the firm ones on top of the soft ones and rolled back and forth and enjoyed my king sized bed. (I am going to get one at home the next time I need a new mattress) I had a large sized fridge and a microwave. The tv was average size and flatscreen-nothing huge but ok. Some channels were fuzzy and a few didn’t register at all; it was Direct TV. There were plenty of lamps, and all except the tall floor lamp behind the chair and ottoman had outlets in the bases-good design. Under the tv was a dresser with 3 drawers and an open area to place things. There was a luggage rack, a few hangers, a ledge above the hanging area for some storage, an iron, and ironing board (didn’t need to press anything so not sure how well that worked). The bathroom was good (for Holiday Inn Express). Again, I had to keep remembering where I was! A kettle with 2 regular coffees, 2 decaf, and 2 tea bags (each restocked every day except no tea the last day) was on the bathroom counter. There were lots of towels, although basic and average and not large and fluffy (but HIE again!). There was a tub/shower combo with lots of quick, hot water. The toilet was low and had a tiny seat but flushed as it should. Shampoo, soap, and conditioner were provided but not body wash, mouthwash, Q-tips, etc. A/c was old box type used in renovated hotels built without central air. It was fairly quiet but had its loud moments. Room stayed cool so no real complaints. View was to the west, which is towards Vanderbilt and area where old railroad warehouses are being gentrified along with new construction of lofts, condos, etc. The Episcopal cathedral, which I visited on Sunday morning, was just behind the other side of the hotel (toward the river and away from Vanderbilt) at 9th and Broadway. There were some banging doors and a few loud stepping people walking the halls, but again HIE. An ice machine and overpriced (the norm anywhere)soda machine were at the end of the hall on the way to the elevator bank-three elevators so rarely a wait although not all 3 went to both garage levels-I didn’t have a car but heard others comment. One day, I stopped to ask the maid to clean my room in the next 2 hours while I was out and about, but she just stood there. How can someone not understand at least some English if they are legally working in the US-at least she could have said-no hablo Englsih! I stopped by the front desk, and there was no surprise about the non-English speaking housekeeper, and they said that they would have my roomed cleaned over the next 2 hours, and it was clean on my return 2 ½ hours later. Housekeeping was great and did a fantastic job for the most part although my shower liner was gone the last day and no tea the last day as mentioned earlier. There is a convenience store 100 yards west of the hotel on the south side of Broadway where I bought 2 liter soft drinks and some snacks since I was there for 4 days. Why buy a 16 ounce drink there by the ice machine for more than the cost of a 2 l one, especially with a fridge in the room?
Breakfast: one of my picky areas. Again, it was HIE and not Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden, etc. where I get a full breakfast with eggs made to order. I was there 4 mornings. I only saw ham mornings 1 and 3 and sausage patties morning 2, but on morning 4, I found ham on one side and sausage on the other so there may have sausage and ham everyday but on different sides? Not sure? The mass made scrambled eggs required ketchup to be edible. Be careful since one or more of the proteins (probably the fake eggs) is high in sugar content based on my blood sugar spikes. They did have boiled eggs, and the yellows came out fairly easily so I could only have the egg white portions. I avoid fruit juices (they didn’t have V8 or tomato juice), pastries, syrup and waffles, etc. There is also a waffle maker, I think, along the wall, but I don’t like fried dough! Of course, they had biscuits with sausage and gravy, which Southerners consider a delicacy and special breakfast treat-but I don’t??? But at least, they had a real meat as well so not a big issue! Sadly, there were no places nearby to eat breakfast so this had to do, but again HIE!
In summary, I would definitely stay here again if my travels brought me back to downtown Nashville. Staff was friendly and did nothing wrong of which I am aware. I had to call to access the Internet a few times because they change the code once a week plus the guy didn’t write the code on my card when I checked in either. I also had to reenter the code a few days even though it hadn’t changed! Even though they had multiple routers, the signal was often very weak, especially with my phone. Is this because too many people are trying to access of because instead on getting 1 or 2 high powered ones, they got multiple cheap, weak ones! Not sure, but I have my opinion! The shuttle recommended by the general manager was fine and was offering Final 4 guests a roundtrip price of $20 rather than the normal $25, but the return was a nightmare due to the fact that the woman who took my reservation said I had to leave no later than 7 am for my 9:35 flight. I have TSE Pre Access, they only made 3 pick up stops (I was the first), and I was through security at 7:27 am. I could have slept an hour longer, enjoyed breakfast a little more, taken a luxury bath, etc., but no, there I was 2 hours early. At least, Nashville’s airport has a Delta SkyClub which helped me pass the time! The shuttle people don’t forecast very well about their demand and the Nashville traffic, but not the hotel’s fault. Hotel shuttle took me to a nearby hotel on Tuesday afternoon for a team sendoff rally. The driver was very friendly and did a great job! Check out was smooth since I had used points and had no charges so no receipt to print. I will get a 10% rebate on the points redeemed because of my Chase Priority Visa (soon to be an IHG Priority MC). I did use the computers in the lobby to print my boarding pass, and one printer appeared to work but nothing happened so I had to log off, log on another one, and go through the whole process again, but I did get my boarding pass. One other things for the hotel: the outlet on the wall with the window (next to the chair) is very loose and is probably a fire hazard-it needs some attention although I didn't mention this while I was there.

Room Tip: higher the better
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
HIENASHVILLEDT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown. I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share your detailed experience with the social media world on TripAdvisor.

I sincerely appreciate reading your kind recognition of our team's efforts to ensure you were comfortable and warmly welcomed. I was also pleased to learn the location was convenient for your visit. I am, however, a little confused by the title of your review. Yes, we are a Holiday Inn Express; and we have never misrepresented ourselves as anything but the award winning, and largest Holiday Inn Express in the country.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed from April 3-5 2014. Came into a very warm room. The blower to the A/C was not working. Had to call maintenance to repair. Also the refrigerator in one of the rooms did not keep cool. There was also what looked to be blood stains on the floor in the bathroom. The shuttle service was subpar at best. We were left stranded at the corsair distillery Thursday afternoon and had to hitch a ride back by different means. The next day we were told to wait 20 minutes while the shuttle driver was at lunch, then when the driver arrived he said it would be at least another 30 minutes. We ended up taking a taxi to the Vanderbilt area.
When we got back to the hotel at night we were greeted by a very rude security guard yelling at us to stay outside if we were going to talk. Also pointed out to the front desk that there was blood on the wall by the bathroom urinal in the lobby. Checked the next morning, blood still there.
We expected a lot more from this hotel especially for the price. Only positive was the breakfast and the location.
Recommendation- DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dan T
HIENASHVILLEDT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time in providing us your detailed experience at the Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, both positive and constructive, as we can certainly learn and grow from both.

I apologize for what appears to be a myriad of unusual issues you experienced while staying with us. It is indeed regrettable to know that we apparently dropped the ball and did not live up to your expectations. It is our ultimate goal to continually exceed our guests expectations on a daily basis, and we can't thank you enough for letting us know when we miss the mark. Rest assured your voice has been heard, and action plans are in place to correct said deficiencies.

Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience at 615-244-0150, and I will be happy address each concern individually. On behalf of my team, I hope to have another opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel property.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. Everything was okay at the hotel. The only problem was the thin walls. I could hear my neighbors tv, talking and sneezing at night when I was trying to fall asleep. Otherwise okay hotel. We had a conference dinner at hotel which was surprisingly adequate for a holiday inn.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kmari78
HIENASHVILLEDT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your business and time in reviewing the award winning Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown on TripAdvisor. It’s a privilege to receive guest feedback as a way to fully gauge how we are performing on a satisfaction level in the eyes of our guests.

I am happy to read your kind remarks about our Food & Beverage offerings. We have a rather unique Holiday Inn Express that has the capabilities to house major conventions, with full Food & Beverage on site with our 10,000 square feet of flexibly banquet space. With that said, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize if you were left to feel disappointed with the noise coming from your neighbors room. I can certainly appreciate the annoyance this caused you during your stay.

On behalf of my team at the largest Holiday Inn Express in the country, we look forward to seeing you again if your travel plans bring you back to the Music City.

Shelby, Ohio
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

We went with a group of 5 couples so we had 5 rooms. All the rooms were very clean. The check-in and out was flawless. Elevators were very quick. Breakfast was more than expected with plenty of seating. There is a shuttle that takes you within a 2 mile radius which we thought was a very nice perk. Location is a nice walk downtown in less than 5 minutes! Will stay here again on our next visit and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank MandyRN
HIENASHVILLEDT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown for your 5 couple, 5 person excursion from Ohio. We are most appreciative of your charming feedback for other potential guests to take notice on TripAdvisor.

I truly appreciate your kind recognition of our top notch housekeeping department for working hard to personally detail your room, our Express Star breakfast, downtown shuttle, location, and service. Our team of hospitality professionals has adopted a service culture that is the absolute best in the business. A team that genuinely takes pride in their work, and this is reflected in our service scores. Thank you so much for inspiring us even more.

We welcome your return visit anytime to once again exceed your expectations.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Staying in Holiday Inn downtown Nashville -- my room is immaculate and every person I meet has been so helpful, kind, professional, and efficient. I am really enjoying my stay here. It is right across the street from a big arts center and about 3 blocks from all of the touristy Nashville stuff. The only downside is that they don't have a restaurant right here, but there are many to choose from a few blocks away and I had food delivered last night from TAZZA and it was great. I will write a separate review on them. Bed here is extremely comfortable and all of the amenities - WiFi, big-screen TV, fridge, microwave, coffee, even extra blankets and pillows. And the rooms are larger than average. I have a great view from the 6th floor. I do recommend this hotel. But I want to add, the customer service is top-notch here. It has a pool and fitness room but I have not had time to see these.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HIENASHVILLEDT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you very much for such a warm review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown. On behalf of my team, I am very pleased to read that you hold such fond memories of your stay.

I shall certainly extend your great comments to our entire hotel team. I am also delighted to read that you would recommend not only our hotel and its location, but most importantly our team of caring individuals who I have the privileged of working with. Our hotel would not be an award wining hotel without their dedication, loyalty, and overall passion to the art of guest service. For all of this and more we sincerely thank you.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return visit in the near future.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed for business at this hotel for 5 nights. Check in was easy and timely even though it appeared the hotel was very busy. As I am a Platinum IHG member, I was given an upgrade. Room was great - spacious and very clean. Nice layout. 2 sinks are always a plus when 2 are trying to get ready in the AM. Coffee maker in the room is a must. Housekeeping was fine.

Location is EASY to get just about anywhere. I could walk to the many restaurants and bars in the area. And, they have a shuttle but I did not use it as walking was just fine. It took me maybe 10 minutes to get to the Music City Center for my conference so didn't need the shuttle.

I liked the extra amenities that not all Holiday Inn Express hotels offer - snacks in the afternoon. Even had music one day in the lobby. Lemon/Limes in the water. Breakfast is acceptable. Hot options, fruit, juices, coffee. I had no complaints about a free breakfast. If you want Eggs Benedict, go to somewhere else and buy it! They had plenty to choose from - scrambled eggs, sausage/ham, biscuits/gravy, pancakes, yogurt, grits, fresh baked cinnamon rolls, etc.

Only minor issues were one day our keys were turned off. Not sure why that happened but next to the last day we had to be re-keyed which was a minor annoyance since we were on a high floor and in the very front so a walk each way. And, the room faced the very front so on the weekends there were sirens sometimes at night (police precinct is nearby) and noisy cars and people going by. Nothing terrible but did wake me several times as I am not a heavy sleeper.
Neither were a deal breaker.

Overall, this is a great location for a great price. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a nice hotel for a stop but don't need all the luxuries that come with a much higher priced hotel. Plenty of bars and restaurants within an easy walk.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HIENASHVILLEDT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Greetings from the Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown! I would like to personally thank you for detailing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. My team and I sincerely appreciate feedback from our guests; especially from our most valued IHG Rewards Club Platinum members like yourself!

Thank you for mentioning that you received a complimentary upgrade; as well as the extra amenities that we provide daily to our guests. We love to give our guests a taste of everything Nashville; that's why we have hors d'oeuvre, complete with other refreshments in the lobby during the evening hours. On Friday/Saturday, we have live entertainment in the lobby to set the ambiance for a fun-filled Nashville weekend. Those little extras are what make us an award wining hotel in the eyes of our guests.

On behalf of my team at the Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, we hope to have another opportunity to welcome your return visit very soon.