“Steve is the Best!!”

Ranked #95 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Steve is the Best!!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Came in town for a funeral and all of the hotels were book up. I start checking for hotels around Tuesday and it was even booked then. The decent ones were either sold out or double and triple the price. I was not going to pay $200-$300 a night for a 2 or 3 star hotel. We came in early Saturday morning drove around, there was one hotel available but had outside rooms. We drove up the street and saw the Red Roof (hotel rooms inside).
Steve was at the front desk and only had a smoking room available. Since I don't smoke he allowed me to check the room to see if it wasn't to bad for me. Since we were tired, driving from Dallas and the room was ok I told Steve I would take it. He gave me the best rate ever and made sure that my needs were accommodated. We end up staying for 2 nights. The room was just ok (nothing to brag about) but Steve customer was A1! For that I told him I would make sure I leave a good review. Thanks Steve

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 September 2013

For the money nothing else came close. Quite often lately downtown Nashville is sold out almost every weekend it seems. The few rooms that are left at 3 star places are ridiculously priced at four hundred dollars or more. This property is about 3.5 miles from downtown and right off the interstate. Yes the area is run down but it never felt unsafe. We took a $18 cab ride to Bridgestone in less than 10 minutes. Most hotels downtown will charge you that just to park.

This particular Red Roof Inn is not a typical RRI in a good way. It was built and opened as a Hampton Inn probably in the 90's and all rooms are interior. It has also just undergone an extensive rooms renovation. The furniture, mattress, linens, carpet, air conditioner and shower curtain where all new and clean. In fact the entire room was quite clean as well. Another plus was the closet with iron and ironing board, something I haven't always encountered at other Red Roof Inn basic tier rooms. Ours also had a mini-fridge. Why is this such a big deal? Because the AAA rate on this particular Friday night was under sixty five dollars. I will gladly take that deal again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank PMax83
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We needed a reasonably priced place to stay in Nashville and we were very pleased with the Red Roof Inn. The neighborhood the hotel is located in isn't by any means scenic, but I didn't get the impression it was bad either. I went to a gas station and McDonald's nearby and both staff and customers seemed fine. There was ample parking on the premises and a pool with lounge chairs. The lobby and building seemed a bit outdated but it is a 2-star property so not unusual there, and everything was clean both in and outside the rooms. The lobby area had a decent breakfast of waffles, cereal/oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, juices, coffee, etc. The rooms were a good size and quiet. What I most noticed was the hotel is very pet friendly and I saw a couple of guests going in and out with their dogs, which I thought was great. Thank you for the comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank caxthelm
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. Price was good. Close to everything. Very clean Manager and staff was amazing. We forgot our pillow after checkout and the held it for us to
Come back and pick up Dogs stay free. I highly recommend, and will stay there next time in Nashville

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank beachsunnybeach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The staff was as friendly as could be expected given the working conditions. The hotel is generally unclean, dimly lit and in serious need of renovation or destruction. We reserved 2 rooms weeks in advance and we given rooms on separate floors - inconvenient and poor planning. The rooms we marginally clean to not clean at all. Bathroom linens were stained and very few were provided and those that were - were quite small. No linens were provided for the sofa beds and one room had no bathroom linens upon check-in. When we requested them, we were told there were none available at that time. We had to inquire again about the sofa bed linens. Upon that request, we were given a stack of pillow cases. When we returned the pillow cases we received only 2 sheets. The Wifi was working intermittently...the pool was only modestly maintained and the chemicals were likely out of balance. Our rooms were not made up during our stay in spite of our absence from our rooms for 12-14 hours and the dining area was dark and dirty. My understanding is this is a privately owned hotel with the Red Roof Inn name on it - I would recommend that Red Roof remove their name as soon as is practical. I would not under any circumstances recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michael L

Travellers are raving about these Nashville hotels

Austin, TX
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Yes I would stay here again and I am picky. This is a budget priced hotel. I am only comparing this hotel to similarly priced budge hotels.
Room size - small
Beds - modern mattress - not hard - not soft
if 2 beds in a room then the beds are small full-size
Pillows - 3 very small pillows for each bed
Linen - clean but they reuse blankets
Smells - smelled slightly stuffy. No sinus problems this stay.
Bugs - non visible, no bites
Work area - small table - no work chair, only a side chair like for a doctor's office waiting room
Bathroom - tiny corner bathroom, large crack in mirror, door very old with many dings along the edges, counter very small and looks homemade. tiles look new but badly remodeled.
Sound - can hear other conversations if the people are loud but not TVs. If room has an adjoining door, then may hear more words but mostly muffled unless a parents becomes loud with a child or hard-of-hearing person. Also can hear through bathroom vent.
TV - flat screen, worked well with a variety of channels
Ventilation - old fashioned, loud, was either on or off without a number setting but was sufficiently cool in the heat.
Refrigerator - dorm sized refrigerator had a freezer (microwave was in the downstairs lobby)
Towels - 2 small full sized thin towels (no holes), 1 hand towel, 2 face towels
Coffee maker - makes one cup of coffee, coffee and supplies sufficient for 2 cups of coffee or
2 bags of tea.
Furnishings - updated, newer paint and carpet, but cheap.
Cleanliness of room - as clean as an expensive hotel.
Supplies - soap, shampoo and conditioner for one person. sample of deodorant.
Price - good for what you get, negotiate for a lower rate and you will be happier with what you get. If you pay full price, you may be disappointed. Negotiate directly with hotel or online 3rd party site. Do not look online then try to negotiate for the online price. They know those games already.
Parking - free. People outside seem like regular guests
Pool - appeared clean. Families with kids seemed to like the pool. Only open certain times of the year so call to ask if its open.
Outside grounds - clean, no trash. Staff cleaned inside and outside during the day.
Inside common areas - dirty at night. Clean during the day.
Elevators - 2 elevators, both very dirty and damaged over time through wear and tear.
Breakfast - Only hot part was waffles. A Microwave was in lobby. Coffee was actually okay. Other foods such as yogurt and milk are available upon request. There may have been fruit and cold eggs available upon request but I did not request any. For people who need high protein breakfast, bring your own or go to nearby breakfast restaurant. If you come during a time of social events in the city, this hotel could become very noisy. My stay was quiet and peaceful.
Staff - not overly friendly but if you speak kindly to them they are pleasant and professional. If you have a problem, tell them and give them a chance to help you.
Location: Is it safe? I do not know. Several of our group rented rooms and we had no problems with guests, visitors, or theft. Yes this is in a historically African American part of town but not a bad part of town.

The rest of the story:
The rumor is that at one time this was a Hampton Inn. Many retired African American professionals live in beautiful old and well-manicured homes a short drive from this hotel so "Don't judge a book by its cover" is the rule in this part of Nashville. The hotel is a short drive to downtown and a reasonable drive to the airport. Prior to this visit I was hesitant to stay in this hotel particularly because of people I saw outside of hotels nearby. This visit proved that affordable hotels are available in Nashville, and that they can be clean and neat in this part of Nashville. All types of ethnicity were represented among the guest and every got along with one another.

Room Tip: As to see the room first. If you plan to get more than one room....see all the rooms first.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I was in Nashville for the CMA fest June 6-10th. My friends were in charge of booking the hotel room. When they told me we were staying at the Red Roof Inn, I was very hesitant. I became even more leery when reading the other reviews that were listed. However, when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised.

-The staff was incredibly friendly. However, I was not pleased when the lady behind the desk had to ask me to wait because the district manager or what not was on the phone and refused to be put on hold. The clerk tried to put her on hold multiple times but I could hear her yelling from where I was standing. Customers should come before yelling at the staff over prices of the hotel rooms.

-The bedding was not what I was expecting. The reviews that I read all talked about stained bedding and nasty sheets. They scared me so bad that I brought my own. They were not needed. The sheets we had looked like there were new. Although, the pillows they provide are very tiny.

-The TV's have been updated to the flat screen.

-The beds were comfortable.

-The staff were all really kind. The manager even drove us to the local dinner in his own car so that we wouldn't have to get a cab.

-We didn't have issues getting towels.

-My only complain is that house keeping came at 8:30 in the morning. Make sure you have your do not disturb sign out or they make come knocking early.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends