“Great Hotel, Great City, Great Deal”

Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University
Ranked #35 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel, Great City, Great Deal”
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Went to Nashville with my daughter who had an audition at Belmont University. We had a reservation for the Courtyard Marriott West End @ $98/night, but when we drove by the place looked pretty dumpy. So we headed to a nearby Panera Bread for free wireless, went on Priceline and lucked out with a room at the Marriott Vanderbilt for $82.

Great room with a view of the Vanderbilt football stadium, very comfortable room w/ great beds. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Swimming pool was nice (though nothing special).

Parking isn't that easy, but it was a weekend and we parked on the street overnight.

We liked the hotel, we really liked Nashville. We didn't like Belmont University...way too Christian for this family.

• Liked — Comfy, clean, very good overall quality room
  • Disliked — Parking expensive.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Korean first
United States
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Stayed one night and attended a meeting in the hotel. No significant problems encountered. The staff was friendly and seemed efficient throughout the hotel during my stay. My room was clean and furnishings and linens were in good condition. I had to search for the hairdryer, but did find it in the closet. The listed TV channels in the book in the room were completely unrelated to the actual location of channels on the TV. However, the TV was a nice large flat screen HD with quite a few channels available (or perhaps too many if you have no idea where to find the station you want?). Self parking option was posted on the sign at the valet drop off, but was still a bit challenging to actually locate and determine the procedure for parking, paying, and exiting. The front door area was often congested, but the self parking in the back was easy to get to. I did not try to access the garage in the evening, but the area seemed fairly well lit (cross and go slightly down a street to access self-park area in a separate garage). There are restaurants located adjacent to the hotel, as well as multiple in various price ranges within the surrounding blocks. We had no significant concerns about safety with walking a block away from the hotel in evening hours. I would stay again for similar circumstances, but the value I felt for the price paid may have reflected a "meeting rate" - not sure I would feel the same way for some of the "rack rates" I saw posted.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Owens Cross Roads, AL
Reviewed 12 January 2009

We stayed for only one night at the Marriott.
I was a little disappointed on the hotel, from some research I thought it would be a little fancier. I've stayed at different Marriott hotels and this was no better than the Courtyard, Residence Inn or Fairfield. I wish I've stayed at the Courtyard Marriott and saved some money.
We had to pay $19 for self park our car in the parking garage. There is one parking garage NOT FOR HOTEL GUESTS, right next to the hotel that costs $10 max per day.The parking garage for Marriott costs $19 per night for self parking and you have to walk a little more, only like 3-5 minutes from the hotel. The hotel has some side doors closer to the parking garage but they are all locked, so you have to walk all the way to the main lobby to get in the hotel. When its 30 degrees or less outside that little walk is not too fun.

The room was ok, not to big not to small. The restroom was ok also, but the bath shower was ripped, which is kinda bad when you are paying over $100 per night. The bathtub was a little slippery.

Overall it was ok, but next time I go to Nashville I will try another hotel.

• Liked — The location close to PF Changs and Flemmings
  • Disliked — The parking garage location and price
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
santa cruz, ca
Reviewed 27 December 2008

My wife and I were visiting Nashville for a friend’s wedding. We had an extremely poor experience at this hotel - I attempted to make the management aware of this when we checked out, but I was ignored by the staff at the front desk. This type of un-attentive and rude service was typical of our entire stay. Here is a bullet list of the things that went wrong:

-We ate at the hotel restaurant twice – each time the restaurant was empty, we were 1 of only 2 tables. Each time it took close to an hour to get our food and on both occasions 1 of us was brought the incorrect dish.

-The hotel movie/entertainment system as well as the internet was not functional for our entire stay.

-On our last day at the hotel, there was no hot water due to construction. We were not informed of this and thus were not able to plan for it. We had to face an entire day of travel returning to California without a warm shower to start the day.

-The valet service (which we were forced to use for $23/day because there is no parking at this hotel) never once answered the phone when we called down for our car. Every day we had to walk down to the front door and stand in sub-freezing temperatures to wait for our car to be returned from the valet.

-The house keeping staff is quite possibly the worst house-keeping staff I've ever seen. During our stay, housekeeping woke us up EVERY morning for 5 days straight by knocking on our door at 8:15am. This is far too early for housekeeping to be knocking on people’s doors. We would tell them to please come back later and not to come so early while we were staying there. But it continued to happen every day. Additionally, two out of the 5 days they never came back later and we never received any cleaning service for those days.

• Liked — Good Location
  • Disliked — Worst Service Ever
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NashvilleMarriott, Reservation & eCommerce Sales Manager at Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, responded to this review, 4 March 2009
Dear Cliffsc –

Thank you for your comments about your stay at the Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt. We take all guests comments very seriously; as this is the best way we can gain feedback to improve our hotel. We strive to make every guests stay exceptional but in your case, have fell short of your expectation.

I apologize that your stay was much less than expected and wish that you had gotten the opportunity to express your concerns to a member of our management team during your time in the hotel, so we could have worked on correcting the issues you experienced. Please know that your comments are reviewed and given to managers, as well as the entire staff, in the areas you express concerns so that we may learn and improve as a whole team.

I also would like to apologize for the miscommunication about our hotel’s parking options. The hotel does offer a self park option for guests at a rate of $19 a day. The self parking lot can be hard to find, and we attempt to alert all of our guests to its whereabouts. I do apologize that you were not made aware of this option.

Thank you again for your comments. If you have other comments or suggestions for the Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt, please feel free to email me at suzanne.welke@marriottvanderbilt.com.

Suzanne Welke, Reservation & eCommerce Sales Manager

&

The entire staff of Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt
Westerlo, Belgium
Reviewed 24 December 2008

it's the second time we are staying at Marriott @ Vanderbilt. the hotel is nice but the management tries to bill you for everything. internet is $10/day while hotels in the area have free internet. parking is $24. first time I booked two rooms and they billed us for parking for both rooms even that I told them that everybody travelled in one car. the second time they charges us $4 for the bottle of water and there was no water in the room. never again at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Athens, GA
Reviewed 29 November 2008

The room & bed were nice and with Priceline the basic cost was within reason. Marriott charges $20.76 to self-park and fails to tell you how to get out of the garage - I was told to pay at the gate but there were no attendants on duty. I called three times for assistance & they directed me every exit, trying to find a live person (never found). Marriott's wireless internet adds another $10 per computer per night if you are crazy enough to pay it. God forbid you drink the $5 per bottle water. Next time I'll drive a little farther and enjoy a peaceful rest knowing the hotel operator is not staying up trying to think of new ways to confuse and gyp me.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Cumberland, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 November 2008

Love those wonderful beds! Great stay in a room on the 6th floor overlooking the football stadium. Nice room but don't get why they charge for internet use.

Used the shuttle service to downtown two of the three nights we stayed. Driver was timely but as stated did not come into the hotel - you need to watch for him out front.

We valet parked but as previously stated - $22 a day is steep (Self parking was $18-not much cheaper) Glad we got this hotel on Priceline so the "add ons" aren't quite so painful.

• Liked — The Beds of course
  • Disliked — High cost to park and charging for internet
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business