“Not as happy as we thought we would be at this hotel.”

Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University
Ranked #34 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Glasford,IL
“Not as happy as we thought we would be at this hotel.”
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We used Priceline to find our hotel for our trip. When we were looking for our hotel we looked at a place with free wi-fi and also free parking and what we got was having to pay 10 bucks a night for 24 hours of internet service, 4 bucks if you wanted the bottle of water in the room, there was no fridge in the room or microwave and even if it is a 4 star hotel I have stayed in other 4 star hotels that do have them so I thought that was kind of crappy and also I thought that the hotel staff was not very helpful when we had a water leak in our bathroom our last night there and also I could not believe again we had to pay for parking is Marriott that broke they can’t have free parking or do they just milk people for all they have. Another thing is they do not give the best directions ether to find the place. So I have to say my family never again plans to stay at the Marriott chain of hotels and I was very disappointed with this one. I can see if you have all the money in the world to stay at a hotel like this but if you are on vacation you do not want to shell out another 200 bucks just to stay at a nice hotel for a week while you are trying to enjoy a Music filled week.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
sc
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Dirty small rooms.Front desk VERY unfriendly.........as for eating here BEWARE.We had an omlette that was swimming in grease,2 lipstick stained glasses & cups,dirty cutlery,dirty plates & the best ........hair in our OJ.The waitress showed it to the restaurant manager, he just shrugged his shoulders........then I asked him about it & again he just shrugged his shoulders.......really is this a 4 star Marriott.I then tried to call the front desk to complain they kept me on hold for 25 mins......I gave up ......called Marriott main # on hold for another 15mins....in end just gave up.....& got the hell out of there......

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a week with family and friends, as we all prepared for my wedding day. (My wedding reception was at the Parthenon immediately across the street, so the location couldn't be beat.) For starters, the hotel is gorgeous. It seems new, with dynamic and modern decor. The rooms are immaculate, and I visited a lot of them, as family members had rented out perhaps 30 rooms in the time before and during my wedding weekend. Food at the restaurants is expensive, as is the case at most hotels, and delicious. Many of the rooms either have a view of West End Ave. and the Parthenon, or Vanderbilt and the football stadium. Restaurants and stores including Borders and P.F. Chang's are steps away, easily accessed on foot without crossing any streets.

The service deserves really special mention. The staff at the Marriott bent over backwards to facilitate smooth check-ins for guests and distribution of all our "welcome bags." They also pitched in numerous times as my mom and I pulled together last-minute wedding tasks -- this includes sending and receiving faxes and other deliveries, as well as helping my mom (not a Nashville native) figure out good sources for different things. They helped my mom and I deal with several large, odd loads of stuff -- all the reception favors, for example. Several of them knew our names by the end of the week and were extremely friendly, helpful, and congratulatory. Bear in mind that our wedding utilized no Marriott services other than the block room reservations, which came at a block room discount. But they were more helpful to us in that last week, in lots of little ways, than some of my vendors.

I stayed at the Marriott a few weeks later for a friend's wedding, and this time the reception was actually at the Marriott. Their reception area was beautiful and the food was terrific.

In closing, I couldn't have been more pleased with our stay at the Marriott. The rooms are nicer than some of those at "boutique" Nashville hotels, including nearby Hotel Indigo, and the service is impeccable.

• Stayed September 2008
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Obviously, the Marriott has structured their hotels to place the Marriott for the business travelor with a large expense account, the Courtyard for the business travelor on a budget or for family travelors, the Fairfield inn for cost conscious families and the Resdience Inn for larger groups that need more space. It was obvious that this Marriott catred to the business crowd that wrote off all expenses since they charged $4 for water in the room while most hotels offered that as a service. They also charged $22 for overnight valet parking with only a $3 discount if you parked it yourself. What truly annoyed us was that they charged $9.95 for 24 hour internet access while every hotel we stayed during these two months of traveling the country has offered WiFi as a free service! Ludicrous! We ending up spending almost $50 with unnecessary charges and fees. Believe me...there are other choices. And I am a Marriott rewards member that will not use Marriott other than Courtyards or Fairfield Inns.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Nice clean facility. Superb location. friendly staff. Shuttle Suburban will take you to/from downtown or Hillsboro Village or anywhere reasonable for tips. Many fine eating establishments withing walking distance. Unique view into Vandy football stadium from room. Pretty cool bar just off lobby.

What kept it from being 5* ? --Room wouldn't get quite as cool as I wanted.+ $23/day valet parking not really typical of location--but is kind of offset by liberal free shuttle policies.

Marriott Vanderbilt was a good place to stay, particularly at Priceline rate.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I vist Nashville about twice a year. This is a VERY BASIC Marriott and the only reason I stay here is if the Loews is full. Really there is no compelling reason to stay there in my opinion.
On my arrival this time I was offered a choice of 2 rooms - one with 2 beds or a king with disabled access. I asked for further explanation from the front desk clerk who just told me that there was shower instead of the tub. What she failed to mention was that the clothes rail in the wardrobe was built for disabled reach & therefore all of my clothes would be trailing on the ground! So I changed rooms.
There was no safe in the room and the views from many of the rooms are of the parking lot. The evening food delivered from room service was greasy & really unappealing, though the breakfasts were better.

Most disturbingly (and unhygenically) a had a experience repeated from a stay at the same hotel in 2005; namely my breakfast tray still sitting outside my room at 9.30pm when I returned from a day at the office. The room had been cleaned but sadly someone felt it OK to leave the food tray on the floor outside all day.

I really think the Marriott should look at upping its standards at this establishment. In the meantime I'm looking at staying at the Hutton next time.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Indianapolis
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Got this for $75 a night on Priceline, and it was a lovely hotel in a nice location -- centrally located to restaurants and shopping and just a short drive to Music Row and downtown. The front desk didn't even let us know about our parking options (they were not the most helpful bunch), but from reading this, we parked easily on the street in front of the hotel at all times (we were there over the holiday weekend). I suppose the hotel is fairly nondescript in a hotel kind of way, but the rooms were spacious, the bed was huge, and it appeared well-maintained. Only complaint is that the neighbor's plumbing was very loud.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple