“Overall, fine, but a few service errors”

Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University
Ranked #33 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Chicago, Illinois
“Overall, fine, but a few service errors”
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Physically, this is a nice Marriott -- inviting lobby, up-to-date rooms, classic decor, etc., and in general I left a satisfied customer. However, I can't say that I'll plan on returning to this hotel when business brings me back to Nashville; I'll certainly look elsewhere. It was a fine stay, but the hotel had no "wow" factor. It was slightly more expensive than other full-service properties within the same district of town (near Vanderbilt), and I don't think the service I encountered justifies the higher-than-average rate.

Service was so-so. The parking valet was always fast, which I appreciated, but service was mixed. (For instance, upon arrival, the guy who took my car away was fine, but the rest of the valet staff, not helping other customers, just stood there while I opened the hotel's door and handled baggage on my own.) I had a very frustrating check-in experience: I was given keys; they didn't work, so I had to return for new keys. (It happens, but it is always annoying.) Those keys worked, but upon entering the room, the desk lamp was totally broken (a previous guest had pushed the switch into the lamp so it wouldn't turn on or off). I went back down to the desk to explain this problem, and I ran into a bunch of attitude with the desk clerk. Acting exasperated that I would want a room with a functioning desk lamp, she then discovered she had no other King rooms, and when I pressed that I wanted a King room rather than switching to a room with two queens, she got attitude, as if it was my fault that the housekeeper hadn't noticed an obviously broken desk lamp. We finally settled on keeping me in the room to which I'd been assigned (which was otherwise very nice) and getting a new desk lamp delivered. It came, but it took forever. When I returned to the hotel for my second night, my keys did not work AGAIN; new keys had to be delivered. All of this stuff can happen in a hotel (although in the best properties, they get this stuff right), so I wasn't that bothered by each event; call it a bad night. I was disappointed that, after taking nearly 1.5 hours to get settled in, I was offered no apology from the staff for the various inconveniences. I don't need to be given something free, but it would have been a nice touch for a manager to call and say "I apologize for the rocky check-in" or even for the clerk with attitude to phone and make sure the desk lamp had been delivered.

So, overall, average: nice rooms, good property, but C- service.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Tenn
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Reasonable minds can surely differ, but I have found the concierge lounge staff to be welcoming, considerate, and personable. I have stayed at this property twice a year for several years, and the concierge staff always recognize and welcome me. I have found the friendliness of the concierge staff to exceed the service provided elsewhere in the hotel, which I have found to be adequate but certainly not outstanding. Overall, this is an excellent property convenient to Vandy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Camp Hill, Pa.
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We have stayed at this hotel twice this year while visiting our daughter and her family and have enjoyed it both times. Our room overlooked the Vanderbilt Stadium, was clean and the bed was arguably the most comfortable I have ever used. While valet parking was thought to be an inconvenience, it is so efficient and the attendants so friendly that we had no problem with it even though there is an extra charge. We definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
memphis, tn
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I have been staying at this Hotel since April. All the Valets, Front Desk, Night Concierge and drivers are awesome. The issue is the Morning Concierge. He thinks the lounge is for him and not the Guests. He is rude and unprofessional. He will talk about different guest to other Guest who use the Lounge. It is not what I expect from a Concierge Lounge. By the way I end up eating breakfast somewhere else because of him.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank qmemphis
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 November 2010

This was my first trip to Nashville and my company held a conference at this hotel. The staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful. The hotel facilities were great for the conference and the food was delicious. The hotel is very clean and I was pleased with my hotel room. It is also located near some restaurants within walking distance which is convenient. I would stay here again for personal travel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Powell, Ohio
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We enjoyed a three night Fall visit to the Marriott at Vanderbilt. We had a room on the 9th floor overlooking the Vanderbilt football stadium. The room was spacious and well maintained. It was also quiet, even though guests down the hall hosted a very loud party one night. Anyone planning to visit this hotel should be aware that the self parking arrangement is a nightmare and, although it is time consuming and more costly, should consider the valet option. The parking garage is not connected to the hotel and is a long walk away, accessed from the rear doors. No matter what we tried we could not get our keycards to activate the parking entrance or exit. After checking in, we drove around to the garage and wasted several minutes (with traffic impatiently backing up behind us) we finally gained access by calling the security office). We returned to the front desk and were only then advised that the garage is owned by the university and that the hotel has no control over its maintenance problems. Although they were already aware that the gate was malfunctioning, they did not advise us at check in which could have helped us avoid the trouble and second visit to the front desk after check in. We have stayed in many Nashville Hotels and have generally been overwhelemed with the hospitality and service. The employees we encountered at the hotel entrance and front desk at this hotel lacked the level of hospitality we have become accustomed to at other area hotels and at Marriott properties in general.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
North Carolina
Reviewed 26 September 2010

This Marriott is in a great location, you can walk to restaurants, Vanderbilt campus and there is a complimentary shuttle bus within a 2 mile radius. The front desk is helpful and professional, especially Gayle Bennett who went out of her way to help me select restaurants. She was so familiar with various dining options, was refreshingly honest in her assessments and looked up menus on the website for me. She is the best concierge I have encountered, very friendly and very very helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business