Physically, this is a nice Marriott -- inviting lobby, up-to-date rooms, classic decor, etc., and in general I left a satisfied customer. However, I can't say that I'll plan on returning to this hotel when business brings me back to Nashville; I'll certainly look elsewhere. It was a fine stay, but the hotel had no "wow" factor. It was slightly more expensive than other full-service properties within the same district of town (near Vanderbilt), and I don't think the service I encountered justifies the higher-than-average rate.
Service was so-so. The parking valet was always fast, which I appreciated, but service was mixed. (For instance, upon arrival, the guy who took my car away was fine, but the rest of the valet staff, not helping other customers, just stood there while I opened the hotel's door and handled baggage on my own.) I had a very frustrating check-in experience: I was given keys; they didn't work, so I had to return for new keys. (It happens, but it is always annoying.) Those keys worked, but upon entering the room, the desk lamp was totally broken (a previous guest had pushed the switch into the lamp so it wouldn't turn on or off). I went back down to the desk to explain this problem, and I ran into a bunch of attitude with the desk clerk. Acting exasperated that I would want a room with a functioning desk lamp, she then discovered she had no other King rooms, and when I pressed that I wanted a King room rather than switching to a room with two queens, she got attitude, as if it was my fault that the housekeeper hadn't noticed an obviously broken desk lamp. We finally settled on keeping me in the room to which I'd been assigned (which was otherwise very nice) and getting a new desk lamp delivered. It came, but it took forever. When I returned to the hotel for my second night, my keys did not work AGAIN; new keys had to be delivered. All of this stuff can happen in a hotel (although in the best properties, they get this stuff right), so I wasn't that bothered by each event; call it a bad night. I was disappointed that, after taking nearly 1.5 hours to get settled in, I was offered no apology from the staff for the various inconveniences. I don't need to be given something free, but it would have been a nice touch for a manager to call and say "I apologize for the rocky check-in" or even for the clerk with attitude to phone and make sure the desk lamp had been delivered.
So, overall, average: nice rooms, good property, but C- service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Vanderbilt University campus, Marriott Hotel Nashville/Vanderbilt University is one of the area's premier West End Nashville hotels. We are a top choice for those looking for a convenient hotel near Vanderbilt University and we offer a great location close to other preferred destinations in Nashville, Tennessee. Our hotel overlooks the historic Vanderbilt University stadium, Centennial Park, and the famed Parthenon. In addition, our top-rated Nashville hotel offers a free downtown shuttle to check out all Music City has to offer. Park25 Bistro, featuring Chef Kimo Akana, serves an eclectic American menu that is comfy, local, and creative. Other amenities at our hotel include Marriott's new Entertainment Package to stream from personal Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora accounts. Marriott Hotel Nashville/Vanderbilt University also provides a renovated fitness center, self/valet parking, and a concierge level. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Priceline, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Nashville At Vanderbilt University Hotel Nashville
- Marriott Vanderbilt University
- Nashville Marriott