“Poor follow-through”

Ranked #35 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Chicago, Illinois
“Poor follow-through”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

On our way to Florida, we stopped in late December to stay the night as Nashville is the midway point. We booked our reservations both ways months ago.

Last year, I wrote a fantastic review. We were really happy with our stay. We bring our dog with us, so we always look for a pet friendly hotel. We reserved a package that included the pet fee, dog toys, treats and a bowl for our puppy.

First, when we checked in, I was told the hotel no longer did this package and the person checking me in said she didn't get the memo the hotel was still doing this. I proceeded to show her my rate details on my phone. It was a little concerning to us, because we had left our dog food bowl at home...we had a water dish...and of course could use the bowl in the room, but we don't like to do that. The person helping us said she would bring a bowl, toys, etc. right up to us. It didn't happen. We waited for hours...and we made 3 calls before the bowl was brought up and we could feed our dog. It was frustrating...but nothing to call or write a complaint about. The night was tough for me...the room had clearly had cats in it previously and not cleaned thoroughly. In 12 hours, I ended up taking 6 Bendryl to stop by allergeis from bothering me. Again, it's part of staying at hotels that accept pets.

I thought this was the end of the issues, but then I got my bill that had a pet fee charge. I called the front desk in that we were trying to get an early start the next day for the remaining trip to Florida. The person I talked with was unhelpful and told me the fee still applied. I tried to reason with her and share with her the regular rate for our room was $179...and the package accounted for the pet fee. I offered to show her what was on the Marriott site...and she was unhelpful and said I could wait for her manager. I asked her to call the manager since I was checking out...and after a lot of pushing she did this.

The manager was apologetic for the issues we encountered...and assured me we would not encounter these issues if we stayed the following week. I was reluctant at this point because I already paid over $200 for this room...paid the highest price even though i was a Marriott Platinum member and was entitled to have a free upgrade of room...and rooms were available. I didn't need the hassles of paying a premium for an airport hotel when I could stay at a hotel at a fraction of the cost that accepted dogs. She assured me we would have a problem and as a good will gesture offered to give me some points for the inconveniene. I accepted her apology and decided to give the hotel anothe try since we had good experiences previously.

On a positive note, since I had been taking so many allergy pills, I left my wedding at the hotel and called. The manager retrieved the band and called me and told me she would hold it for me...this is why I'm giving the hotel 2 stars instead of 1.

We returned the following week, checked in and our room was much cleaner. The items for our dog weren't there...because the manager had not gone shopping yet. (I just assumed they would have had them there)...but it was not worth the hassle so I told her to forget about it. I did mention to her, however, the points she had promised had yet been credited to my account. She seemed surprised and said she would take care of it immediately and follow-up with me.

Two weeks after I was promised the points, they are not credited to my account. No follow-up as promised. And when I called yesterday to ask about it...and left a message, no return call. So, I was duped. I gave the hotel another chance and they failed. I didn't ask for the points...but I was asked to give them another chance. They failed. I'm very disappointed in the manager's (Chelsea's) ack of follow-through. Don't promise what you cannot deliver on. Regardless of whether I'm a Platiinum member or not, I expect the decency of keeping commitments.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Leah B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Nashville Airport, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Judy3720-

I want to thank you for taking so much of your time to let us know what your stay was like while you were in Nashville. Obviously this type of rating or review is not what we are accustomed to here at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Nashville Airport and we do not take this rating lightly. After reading your review I can understand how frustrating this could be and want to tell you that the service you received is unacceptable. I apologize for the issues you encountered and want you to know that I will get to the bottom of this.

We did have a pet package back in the summer which is when you apparently booked your reservations, since then we did delete the package due to the lack of interest we received from it. I apologize for the oversight in this matter and assure you that I will be discussing this with my Guest Service manager and her team to be sure we have items still on hand for any future reservations that may still be coming through with this package.

I would like to look into the marriott rewards that were purchased for you if you have still not received them? Please email or call me as soon as you can so that we can discuss this matter further. tpsnashville@lbaproperties.com or 615-232-3830.

Thank you again and my personal apologies,

Leah Blackmore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My family and I stayed here for the November 2013 Colts vs. Titans game and it was great. Easy to find once you get off exit. Check in was a breeze and young lady was very nice. She joked with us about our room number 227(like the television show). We had the two bedroom and it was more than enough space for 7 people. I mostly loved the indoor pool. Beds were comfortable, flat screen TV's in all the room. Continental breakfast was okay. (Just don't go in your p'js). Wanted to stay an extra day and the young lady at the desk helped us out with no problem and kept us in the same room. About a 2 minute walk from Kmart and other restaurants. Not much traffic on the highway so the drive to downtown Nashville, Opry Mills Mall & LP Field only takes about 15 mins. Will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Leah B, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Nashville Airport, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Nashville. Reading your comment makes me proud to be a part of the TownePlace Suites team. Please come back and see us next season.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed the night before Thanksgiving. Our family has stayed here before. Despite some travel problems and irritations,the staff was extremely reassuring and accommodating once I arrived. The shuttle driver was prompt and courteous. I'll never forget the kind way I was treated at this hotel, especially at the holidays. Excellent customer service,helpful and attentive staff are hallmarks of this property. Immaculate rooms w/great attention to detail and a delicious breakfast complete the experience.

** Front desk staff are awesome!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you! Thank you! We are so happy to hear that we spread the cheer for the holidays. Our staff is pretty impecable when it comes to positivity. Your comments really make all the difference.
North Carolina
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed one night in December, was greeted by Chelsea a manager who was friendly, professional and enthusiastic about her property and really made you feel at home. The property was spacious, clean and easy access to the airport. The customer service from Chelsea, really is what you normally expect from a high end Marriott, I was very impressed! I would not hesitate to stay here again if I am in the Nashville area. Complimentary breakfast included!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
We are so glad Chelsea made you feel at home. Your positive comment keeps us on our toes. Looking forward to having you come back if you are ever in the area.
Farmingdale, New York
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Every one in this hotel seems to truly care about their job and the people they serve. It's a small gem near the airport. The property is immaculately kept. I have stayed there on multiple occasions and always enjoy my stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much! We here at the TownePlace Suites wouldn't be able to care and appreciate our job titles or our hotel without guest like you. Your comment means the world to us. We enjoy having you stay and will be looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

It is long overdue that I wrote this review. I am a Platinum elite member and have stayed at all different brands & properties throughout the US and overseas, from Fairfield Inns to Renaissance and Ritz Carlton hotels. Higher-end hotels can have elegant lobbies, downtown locations, and more staff. Yet, my experience has been that some of the best Marriott stays I have ever experienced often come from smaller properties/brands. A not so great recent stay at a different, super expensive, Marriott property made me remember my great experience at this property and prompted me to get off my “Kiester” to write this review. I must say that my stay with my family (wife and 3 kids ages 12 to 17) at this Townplace Suites during Spring Break 2013 may be the best stay I have ever had at any Marriott. Why? I could talk about how clean and well-equipped the rooms were, the comfortable beds, the great breakfast and freshly baked cookies, and its convenient location. However, my joy of staying at this hotel comes down to the fact that this hotel has the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE hands down of any Marriott property that I have ever stayed out.

Leah and her staff went above and beyond to provide 6-star service to my family. This was not fake and truly genuine. I could tell everybody who worked there enjoyed their jobs and worked to provide the best customer service possible. We really felt SUPER SPECIAL as I am sure all guests who stay here do. Other Marriott properties should stand up and take notice. They could learn a lot from this hotel. The amount of time Leah and her staff spent with me on the phone before my arrival answering questions about Nashville was instrumental in helping me plan and deliver a great time for my family during Spring Break. It is hard to do with 2 teenage boys! (a little easier with a 12 year daughter)! Thanks so much!! I could provide countless examples of OVER THE TOP customer service (great restaurant recommendation, care packages,…) we were given during our stay, but I would still be writing this review tomorrow morning if I continued on. Their concern, help, and assistance when my son badly sprained his ankle at a nearby skateboard park were commendable and exemplifies how much they care here! Bottom line, Listen to the Reviews! You would be a fool not to stay at this hotel if you visit Nashville. This is the place to be to be pampered, well cared for, and have a home away from home! No wonder they are ranked #1 in Nashville by TripAdvisor. THANKS SO MUCH FOR A GREAT STAY! Kirk K. (Atlanta)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Leah B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Nashville Airport, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Kirk,

To sum the feeling up I got when I read your comment in one word it would be nothing less than, WOW!!!!

It means the world to me that you and your family enjoyed your time in Nashville while staying with us. We do try very hard to make sure that each and every guest has the kind of experience it sounds like you had. I remember you well and I remember your family well. I hope that you come back to see us again soon. Please thank your daughter for the beautiful picture she drew and let her know that I still have it and cherish it.

Thank you for taking your time to write this beautiful comment on tripadvisor, you have no idea how much it means to myself and my entire team!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We typically do not stay at TownePlace Suites - but we were traveling on a cross country road trip with the dogs, so we needed larger suite-style hotels. We stayed mostly at Residence Inns and Homewood Suites, but this one looked okay on line and had a great rate. WE WERE VERY HAPPILY SURPRISED WITH HOW CLEAN AND NICE THIS ONE WAS.

The lady at the front desk was the friendliest person we encountered the entire two week trip. The property was overall very clean and well done. The rooms we fresh, well appointed and roomy. It helps that this hotel is not even two years old and is done in the new style of the TownePlace Suites updated layout.

The only complaints if we have any are there is no hot tub with the indoor pool, and parking is limited. Otherwise, it is a perfect place to stay if passing through.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your positive comments and are so thankful that you gave us a chance to give you that great experience. As you had mentioned our brand typically does not have jaccuzzies however, our hotel does have the largest indoor heated pool of any TownePlace Suites which stays open year round. Which I hope you got to take advantage of while you were here.