“Noisy room, bad service, and unexpected higher rates”

Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt
Ranked #108 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Adelaide, Australia
“Noisy room, bad service, and unexpected higher rates”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I have stayed at quite a few hotels by now, and my stay at the Extended Stay in Nashville was the only time I have not been satisfied.

During the first night, there was a lot of noise from the street, since my room was on the street side of the hotel. I asked at the reception to be moved to a room further away from the street, and was told to come back later every time. The staff did not show any initiative to find another room for me. It would have been ok if they'd told me immediately that another room would probably not become available. Then I could have decided to stay anyway, or move out. But as it was, I tried to move to a different room for a few days, and then moved out anyway.

What I am most dissatisfied about, is that I was only told that the nightly rate would increase for a shorter stay after I had moved out. This was because the only staff member present when I moved out was a trainee who did not know about basic things. Not her fault, but the hotel management should not have left the hotel in the hands of a trainee by herself.

Some smaller issues:
* Breakfast is extremely minimal, and there is no room to eat it.
* Communication via email is very slow, and my reservation was not confirmed even though I asked for that a few times.

On the plus side, the extended stay is one of the cheapest hotels around Vanderbilt University, so that can be a reason to stay there. Though in my case I ended up quite a bit more than I expected.

Room Tip: I'd ask to get a room away from the street side.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that we were unable to move your room during your stay. As well, that we did not respond in a timely fashion via email prior to your arrival and that the grab and go breakfast did not have enough options. In response, the staff and I are looking into ways to improve our procedures and amenities moving forward.

Please know that our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at nvb@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 5 April 2013

There were two resounding positives - the hotel is in a location for easy access to Vanderbilt, Hillsborough Village, and downtown Nashville, and the woman to check us in (Chantay) was warm and helpful.

Negatives:

The iron in the room didn't work

No soap in the shower (although apparently we could ask for some at the front desk)

I wanted flip flops because the carpet was dirty and heavily stained

Stains were on the ceiling of the room

The other woman at the front desk - weekend staff - was not helpful. Coffee ran out during "breakfast" hours and though no one else was around, she came off as being lazy when she refused to leave to make more coffee. It was made even worse when she saw me try to get coffee the first time and then pretended to be occupied behind the desk in hopes that I would just go away.

Bad.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank samba124
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Nice Hotel, clean and staff friendly. If you need high speed internet be preparred to shell out a few bucks for every 3 MB you use per day. Nowhere is that mentioned in their ads but when you sign on you are given the option of "broadband LIGHT" or pay for actual high speed. Just another typical corporate greed rip off. Also be sure to bring your own shampoo, etc because the only thing provided is toilet paper with the texture of tree bark. I couldn't find any ice machines either and the free breakfast consist of packets of oatmeal or oatmeal bars and some apples and oranges. By far the most frugal hotel I've ever encountered. Also be preparred for unwanted spam after your stay.

Room Tip: there's a Holiday Inn a block down
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Tallulah Falls, Georgia
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations. It is exactly as advertised. We're staying here for medical reasons at nearby Vanderbilt University Medical Center. There are ample places to walk our dog, plenty of nearby restaurants and quality grocery stores. We have traveled extensively throughout the USA and have come to rely on TripAdvisor reviews. Many of these reviews are unfair and do an injustice to fellow travelers. We will, unhesitatingly stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013
NJ
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed here while visiting my sister at college.

Arrival: First we got there late evening 1130 pm or so. I had booked online at Hotels.com that same day. There was no one in the lobby at the desk. Just a sign that said the desk is open from 7am-11pm and said to use house phone to contact someone. It took while to find the phone, but it was in the vestibule before you enter lobby. Someone came and helped us, but they had not yet received the info from Hotels.com.

The room: was on the 4th floor. There are no smoking signs sporadically around the hall, but there was a VERY thick odor of cigarette smoke throughout. The room was dark and dank and stuffy. I haven't seen an extremely outdated bed spread covers like that in a while, sheets were rough. The kitchen in the room looked gross, the coffee pot had old burned coffee spots and marks all over it. The bathroom was clean.

Breakfast: Make sure you get to breakfast early if you even want to eat at this hotel. there was one muffin left (thankfully wrapped) and 3 bags of oatmeal when we got there.

Staff: The woman in the evening who checked us in was very friendly and nice.

Side note The photos on this and all the discount rate websites are not from this Extended Stay. The lobby was completely different, and the rooms were not that clean and bright.

I would never stay at this or possibly any extended stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jltdinga
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We had our wedding last weekend in Nashville, and one of the hotels we had a block with for our out town guests was the Extended Stay. We know it's not a luxury brand 4-star hotel, and so the expectations were not high to begin with, but we are really disappointed in their efforts.

The first problem we encountered was we reserved a block of 10 rooms. Only 3 of the 10 rooms were reserved by our guests. The problem is without notice they cancelled all the rooms. We understand if they cancelled the 7 left unfulfilled by the deadline to offer to other guests, but not all 10. Secondly, when our guests arrived they had no idea their reservations had been cancelled because no one had informed them. They didn't inform us either so we could tell our guests. Thirdly, when our guests arrived and checked in when they were able to find them a room the rooms were awful. One in particular smelt overwhelmingly like mold with the heating and cooling units not working. The mold is was bad. It was so strong it had to be a health hazard. The problem is our wedding was on Valentines weekend so there was no availability anywhere, and our guests drove 8 hours to be Nashville so it wasn't like they could go home.

Were it gets worse is the hotel did nothing about it. They didn't apologize, they didn't offer to compensate our guests in anyway...they just didn't care. Our guests were in town for one night, and didn't have any options so they toughed it out, but the mold was so bad they couldn't breathe and had to sleep in another guest from our wedding party's room in another hotel. The other 2 rooms for the most part were fine, but had a smell to them, and were a little dirty, like crumbs on the floor and tissues in the trash, but no mold from what we could tell.

Again, we know the Extended Stay chain is not a luxury brand 4-star hotel chain, but mold and poor customer service are unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mjfrisbie
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 January 2013

My few friends suggested me to stay at extended stay america, that's why i did online reservation. But there is huge

difference in my before after staying experience. Firstly when i visited then someone from front desk has swipe my debit

card and credit card, wrongly she swipe the payment from debit card and thus journey started. After that she allocated one

room at second floor. I am with my family and I was having 6 bags with me, but when I went there the room was so messy

nothing was cleaned. Then I went to the front desk and asked for the room change. Then she has allocated me another room on

the third floor, again I went there with my luggage (6 bags) to third floor. When I opened the door the room was so dirty,

more than previous one, nothing was cleaned. Again I went to front desk and now this time she gave me room on fourth floor.

I went to fourth floor with my luggage and fortunately the room was cleaned. we put all luggage and we were so tiered so my

wife went to make tea for us, not a single utensils was cleaned in the kitchen. I called to front desk they said they will

replace the utensils, but no one came on that day. Then I personally went to front desk on next day morning to tell them

about utensils then someone has taken a note on pad but from last 4 days no one has came to replace that. So I cleaned all

the utensils except one pan, so yesterday I went again to front desk with that pan but she replied me that there are no pan

availale in spare to replace and she has taken a note on the pad. Till now no one has came to replace that pan.

My friend has recommended me this hotel but i am dam sure I will not recommend to anyone.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Check for other hotels at the same locations.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family