“Food and Service is always fantastic!”
Review of Cafe Fontanella

Cafe Fontanella
Ranked #181 of 2,129 Restaurants in Nashville
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I thought that I might as well write a review of Cafe Fontanella since I eat here at least once every other week. I would like to say this review is not of just one experience at Fontanella, It is a review of many visits.

Service - I have always and I mean always have had great service here. From being greeted at the door to being treated well by the waiter/waitress. The manager always comes around and checks on guests during there lunch or dinner experience and makes sure everything is going alright and will make any corrections if it is not. I have found one very great server at Cafe Fontanella and his name is Joe White. This guy is just the best and has always been the nicest guy. I can't say enough about him and always ask when I arrive that I would be seated at one of his tables. I hope the management that owns this company reads this review. I have noticed that not only myself but other patrons of this restaurant ask specifically for Joe White as they walk in the door. He is partially the reason I keep going back to Cafe Fontanella on a regular basis. Seriously he is that great of a server!

FOOD - It is an mostly Italian based menu at Cafe Fontanella. I have had many items on the menu. But all have been great but a few stand out as Excellent. Fettuccine Alfredo with Baked Chicken is almost to great. The portion size is enough for 2 people to share and still get full. It is the best Alfredo sauce I have ever had. It is made fresh with real Italian cheeses that give that flavor that can only come from a fresh made sauce. All the Pizzas are also fresh hand made thin crust and made with only fresh ingredients. But the best of the best on the menu is the Cheese Steak Sub. It is a real foot long sub cut in half with fresh Italian bread and the steak is thin shaved steak with sauteed onions and peppers. I myself can not eat the whole cheese steak and fries in one setting. I have order this sub over 5 times and have never finished it. This beats any cheese steak in Nashville bar none! It is on par with Gino's in Philly and yes I have had a Gino's in Philly to compare it to.

When you set down they will always bring you out fresh made rolls that have been baked and smothered in Olive oil and all the good fresh Italian herbs and they are oh so delicious, make sure to ask for some fresh made marinara to dip them in as you look over the menu. Don't worry they will bring you more if you just ask.

Atmosphere - Inside is large with a full stage in one corner of room which on most night have a performer or band playing. They have a full bar with bar seating with flatscreens so you can keep your eye on a game. Seating inside is very comfortable and not setting so close to another table as if you got up from your seat you would bump someone like in most places. Dress is casual, you don't have to dress up and wear a suit and a tie. There is outdoor seating that overlook the Fontanel grounds, this is where I like to set. They have tables down one side and bar height tables in the back that can set 6 people comfortably and have wide bar stool seats, not the skinny square or tiny round ones like at Hooters or somewhere.

Here is some tips on Cafe Fontanella

#1 Just because it look like the parking lot is full, the Cafe is not full. I can't say it enough to people who will just see a large parking lot full and assume so is the restaurant. The restaurant holds a lot of people and the parking lot is used for other things other that the Cafe.

#2 Ask for JOE WHITE as your server. You will not be disappointed if you get someone else, all the servers are great. But Joe will make your night with his friendly talk and smile. I have taken people here with me to the Cafe. My friends after going once with me ask for when were going back to where Joe White works. They can't remember the name of the restaurant but remember his name. That should tell you something right there.

#3 If you do decide to go the Cafe Fontanella, you will leave with a smile on your face. This is not just a Cafe it is an experience.

No, I do not work for Cafe Fontanella. This review is un-biased. I have waited over a year to make this review. I have never had a bad experience in anyway from food to service to anything else. I've tried to nit pick anything bad here and I can't come up with anything bad to say. Even the silverware is always spotless and linen napkins are always rolled and folded perfectly, you see where I coming from. This is the BEST RESTAURANT in and around the Nashville Area.

2  Thank titanfan2k1
Fontanel_Attractions, General Manager at Cafe Fontanella, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Thank you for kind words and Go Titans!! In this business we strive for perfection knowing we will fall short, but hopefully achieve greatness in the process. Consistency is key from the service to the food to all the miscellaneous details. I will print this out for Joe White, I know this will put a giant smile on is face. Thank you for the kind words and thank for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I gave five stars, so hopefully this will get read, the staff has completely been replaced, seems they've gotten rid of the friendly faces, and rewarded the "not so nice" people by keeping them. I really miss the old staff.

I respond to all our reviewers regardless of how many stars are given. I appreciate you taking the time to review us expressing your concerns. I assure you we pride ourselves on having a friendly staff and unfortunately we must have fallen short on your last visit. The restaurant business is a transient one. Our staff turns over periodically for various reasons. Please come on back and give our servers another chance.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a great lunch at Cafe Fontanella after our tour of Fontanel. A trio of musicians were playing that afternoon. A perfect ending to a great afternoon! :)

Thank you for spending the afternoon with us. The fontanel is a great place to spend an autumn afternoon with our tours, trails and zips. We look forward to having you back. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We are regulars at Fontanella Cafe... But everytime is the best!!! Ask Soroush for one of his special pizzas!! He is the BEST! Derrick is an awesome bartender!! Always a good time and great food! We never grow tired of the atmosphere and the food!!!!

Thank You!!!! We love having you come back time and time again! After a good meal please check out our new neighbors Vintage Creek the coolest clothing boutique in town! Their grand opening is this Saturday the 27th from noon till 6pm!!!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

After touring the Fontanel Mansion, we needed something to eat before we tasted all the offerings at Prichard's Distillery! This Cafe was a nice place to rest, enjoy the scenery, and eat too much! The sweet tea is Southern Delicious! Fresh rolls with warm olive oil and garlic set the mood for the food to come! One of us had the Cipolla burger - great! I had the Veal Parmigiana with a side of spaghetti. The veal was delicious, not one of those nasty patties so many places pass off as veal, hand breaded and cooked very well with sauce and lots of cheese. The menu includes traditional pasta, pizza, salad and appetizers with a selection of burgers and sandwiches as well. They have an extensive wine selection and offer Prichard's Distillery products also. We were too full for dessert, but rather enjoyed our lunch and drinks on the covered porch with a light breeze keeping us cool.
Great find outside Nashville!

Fontanel_Attractions, General Manager at Cafe Fontanella, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2014

Thank you for the kind review. As a destination property we are always looking for new ways to provide family fun! We take a lot of pride in our property and our café. Come join us for "Hauntanel" October 24 - 26 for our haunted hayride and more!