“The best hostel I've stayed at in the US”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nashville Downtown Hostel
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hostel was great, I've stayed at some good hostels in Europe and this is the only hostel I've stayed at in the US that comes close to some of the European ones.

Everything was really clean, the downstairs communal area was large as was the kitchen next to it, I really appreciated how cool the hostel was, I assume they had air conditioning.

Before I went the lack of lockers put me off, whilst there are none in the rooms there are some lockers on the first floor which I was able to put all my things in.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hostel is more like a catholic school dorm than a "hostel." Not only were we over charged (something like $50 a night) we were treated as children. I have stayed at many hostels and never in my life have I been asked to sign a two-page fine-print "rule sheet" stating that I am not, as a 22 year old US citizen, allowed to drink hard alcohol, invite others in my room after 11pm, open windows, play loud music, etc., etc. This place requires a key to get through every single door, every single elevator, every hallway, every bathroom, which of course provides a nice secure prison feeling, but is a pain in the tush when its 3am and you're drunk and want to smoke a cigarette/ go to the bathroom. We were kicked out of this hostel at about 4am with no refund (and after being threatened to be charged $500) due to "excessive partying" (I mean come on, it was a road trip on our way home from Mardi Gras). Long story short, if you're passing through Nashville on a quiet night and are looking for an expensive dorm room to crash in, be my guest. If you're looking for an amazing european hostel feel where you meet amazing people, avoid this place at all costs. You'll be better off and save money at a hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank flowernomad
RonL47, Manager at Nashville Downtown Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

We operate an award winning world class hostel by removing destructively selfish and drunk individuals who at 3 am so rudely impose noise and discomfort on others. Our rules and guidelines are designed specifically to discourage irresponsible and obnoxious individuals from entering our facility. Our hostel is a great place to meet amazing individuals and world travelers who are community conscious, self aware and contribute positively to the surrounding. We welcome guest who believe in safety and comfort for themselves and others. Our community believes in individual accountability. Most of our guest enjoy drinking alcohol but does not engage in destructive behaviors this group exhibited.

This guest and her irresponsible friends blasted loud music in the room at 3am and woke other guests. They also broke window frames to force open the window and smoked in the room. They also disassembled and rearranged furniture. Their were obnoxiously drunk spilling soda and beer all over the floor.

Respectfully,
Ron

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

If the term 'hostel' puts you off then think again. This is a super friendly, clean and cheap place to stay. It's right in Downtown and the staff are so lovely and helpful. There's free coffee 24/7 and a lovely communal area to eat, watch TV , play music or meet new people.
Seriously, it's fab. I would definitely stay there again. We had a private room between 2 of us and it was fine.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Julia C
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed here as part of a Trek America tour, We had 2, 8 bed dorms and have to say this hostel was fantastic. Great location just a few blocks away from all the bars and restaurants.

This Hostel had great laundry facilities, clean bathrooms and hot showers, Free WiFi and Linen and towels were included in the price. The hostel is very secure requiring a keycard to get in after hours and to use the elevator.

The common room area on the first floor is awesome, lots of instruments, books, computers, pool table, board games and a football table.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed here one night on our road trip out west. it is really a nice place and managed very well. Great common area, incredible kitchen and clean bath areas. They offer both private baths or women's/men's separate shower areas (4 showers), but still private enough. Glass elevators up to sleeping floors with another lounge area on each floor. There are clean linens on the bed, you make it up and tear it down when you keave. The large common area on main floor has couches, pool table, computer, stage and some musical instruments around if you feel the urge to pick one up. There is also a flat screen TV. Laundry facilities on site as well. Can't beat the location - right downtown, on the river and walk out into the action.
We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We chose a 4 bed female room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laurie W
Reviewed 11 September 2013

A clean, modern and very well maintained hostel in downtown Nashville, a stones throw from the main street and the famous Wild Horse Saloon! The bathrooms were clean and always close by; good showers too! The wifi was very temperamental and didn't tend to work in rooms, but did work in the shared areas. Opt for a room with fewer people in for a quieter stay. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2013

When I arrived at the hostel it was after a frazzled trip. I was stuck in Nashville, and many things were up in the air. I'd stayed at other hostels, and helped run a hostel, so I know they can vary widely.

Honestly the beds were hard - pressure points meant being so sore by morning it wasn't restful. I know there's a balance though, but being honest more comfortable beds, or an option or something would be nice.

Beyond that, I still give excellent ratings. The reasons are many - the staff was awesome. The place was clean, easy to navigate, secure and nice. Hangout areas were there so if you wanted some quiet alone time that was possible or more social areas were available. The location is AWESOME!! The little bar on the corner under the hostel has some pretty decent food, reasonable prices. And just a block up is a variety of food, music and other things down 2nd avenue. Journey over to Broadway and up a couple streets for ice cream and a candy shop, and more music hotspots that you never know who you might see.

It's also near the river...many areas near where Nashville tv series was filmed. I didn't use the kitchen while there, but it looked clean and organized. Plenty of hot water in showers while I was there. Like I said the only part I'd change is the hardness of the beds, and that might just be me. If you're traveling in and like a softer bed, bring a cushion or something. But excellent accommodations, friendly staff, Very accommodating and much appreciated.

Room Tip: Bring extra padding if you like soft beds.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business