“Excellent hostel ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nashville Downtown Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nashville Downtown Hostel
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Excellent hostel ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

This hostel is second in my books only to the HI hostel in Washington, DC. Incredibly friendly and helpful staff, more than accommodating. Everyone has great tips and recommendations. The location really cannot be beat. You're a five minute walk from broadway which also takes you right to places like Bridgestone Arena, country music hall of fame, the ryman, and much more.

This is my second trip to Nashville in less than a month and I've stayed here both times. It cannot be beat and it's such a great facilitator for meeting new people, travellers, from all over the world.

The hostel is very clean and we'll maintained, there's an elevator, parking available (you need to come in and get a pass first), and full kitchen.

Thanks downtown hostel for a great two stays. If I find my way back to Nashville in the future I will be coming to you.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pinckney, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I went to Nashville for a conference and my schedule only allowed me to stay two nights. So I wanted to at least see the tourist area. This hostel has an excellent location among the honky tonks and has great night life. The building has been recently remodeled and is super clean. Staff were great and give you a mini intro to the place. There are several layers if security to get into the building and the place is clean and was very quiet (I was in bed at 1 and up at 7 but most people came in much later, I don't know what it's like during the day). I never encountered anyone in the bathroom and there were two large private bathrooms on my floor with community bathrooms as well. The issue: 1) lights on bathroom were on a timer and if you forgot to set it they would go off on you. Sure, go green, but they could have used a motion sensor. 2.) no lockers in the room. Just beds and a coat rack. This means everything stay on the floor. You also must trust your roommates. I had to carry my laptop all over. 3.) only two outlets along the floor and no shelves or anyway to put things on your bed. Nit picky? Maybe. But I had to sleep on the top bunk with my phone (for alarm) and my water bottle on the mattress. A chair in the room would be nice so you can sit and put on shoes. The only place to sit is the bottom bunk which is problematic if your roommate is sleeping. Anyway they are working on remodeling, maybe these basics will come but they sure would have made this a five star experience.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NDHHostel_Host, Manager at Nashville Downtown Hostel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Hello, My name is Ron and I'm the owner manager of Nashville Downtown Hostel. Thank you for the great feedback. Yes, we are in the process of procuring the lockers for room and configuring the layouts so that the flow of guest experience in the room is more functional. The architectural and engineering design for the bathroom light could have been better. We are considering a retrofit but the cost of rework can be very high. we are investing everything back in to our operation.
Beijing, Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We decided to do an impromptu road trip to the south and Nashville was our first stop on the way. It was really easy finding the hostel, which is right by the riverfront. Not knowing anything about the neighborhood or Nashville in general, we at first were skeptical, but one look inside and you'll fall in love with this place. I've only ever stayed in one other hostel in the US (the YMCA in NYC) and NDH blows that one out of the water. The staff was very helpful, approachable and laid back. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and nice and the roomies were very interesting people from around the world. I also feel like my belongings and I are very safe. The room we had was $30 a night per person with four people to a room, parking was another $12 with a $20 cash deposit. Lastly, while NDH could gouge money for things such as coffee, drinks, sheets, towels, amenities, parking after check-out, etc, they don't. The coffee and tea is free, so are shampoo and whatever else has been left by other travelers, canned and bottled water and soda are just $1 and sheets come with the bed, and parking is only $2 extra per hour for every hour after check-out. That's the same price it'd be to put quarters into a parking meter. I will definitely recommend this place to my friends and other travelers to Nashville. I hope other cities along the way (Memphis, Jackson, New Orleans, Atlanta, Savannah) have a place this great. Keep up the phenomenal work!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Traveled with a group of friends in October and this place was awesome. Even though the interiors might not be pretty the place was always clean, rooms are quiet and acceptable comfort. In addition the staff is very friendly and helpful... And the location couldn't be better, it is less than a block away from Broadway. I know there are other reviews that mention the lack of lockers but they do have storage places available now. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone that is looking for a hostel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hostel was great, I've stayed at some good hostels in Europe and this is the only hostel I've stayed at in the US that comes close to some of the European ones.

Everything was really clean, the downstairs communal area was large as was the kitchen next to it, I really appreciated how cool the hostel was, I assume they had air conditioning.

Before I went the lack of lockers put me off, whilst there are none in the rooms there are some lockers on the first floor which I was able to put all my things in.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hostel is more like a catholic school dorm than a "hostel." Not only were we over charged (something like $50 a night) we were treated as children. I have stayed at many hostels and never in my life have I been asked to sign a two-page fine-print "rule sheet" stating that I am not, as a 22 year old US citizen, allowed to drink hard alcohol, invite others in my room after 11pm, open windows, play loud music, etc., etc. This place requires a key to get through every single door, every single elevator, every hallway, every bathroom, which of course provides a nice secure prison feeling, but is a pain in the tush when its 3am and you're drunk and want to smoke a cigarette/ go to the bathroom. We were kicked out of this hostel at about 4am with no refund (and after being threatened to be charged $500) due to "excessive partying" (I mean come on, it was a road trip on our way home from Mardi Gras). Long story short, if you're passing through Nashville on a quiet night and are looking for an expensive dorm room to crash in, be my guest. If you're looking for an amazing european hostel feel where you meet amazing people, avoid this place at all costs. You'll be better off and save money at a hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank flowernomad
RonL47, Manager at Nashville Downtown Hostel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
We operate an award winning world class hostel by removing destructively selfish and drunk individuals who at 3 am so rudely impose noise and discomfort on others. Our rules and guidelines are designed specifically to discourage irresponsible and obnoxious individuals from entering our facility. Our hostel is a great place to meet amazing individuals and world travelers who are community conscious, self aware and contribute positively to the surrounding. We welcome guest who believe in safety and comfort for themselves and others. Our community believes in individual accountability. Most of our guest enjoy drinking alcohol but does not engage in destructive behaviors this group exhibited.

This guest and her irresponsible friends blasted loud music in the room at 3am and woke other guests. They also broke window frames to force open the window and smoked in the room. They also disassembled and rearranged furniture. Their were obnoxiously drunk spilling soda and beer all over the floor.

Respectfully,
Ron
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

If the term 'hostel' puts you off then think again. This is a super friendly, clean and cheap place to stay. It's right in Downtown and the staff are so lovely and helpful. There's free coffee 24/7 and a lovely communal area to eat, watch TV , play music or meet new people.
Seriously, it's fab. I would definitely stay there again. We had a private room between 2 of us and it was fine.

• Stayed September 2013