“Best atmosphere ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nashville Downtown Hostel
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Best atmosphere ever!”
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Very clean and comfortable. Almost feels like home. The staff are super friendly and always willing to help. Located on a perfect spot to enjoy the best Nashville's got to offer. Met the coolest people while staying there. Definitely coming back!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Nashville is a wonderful city to visit, but downtown accommodations (walking distance of lower Broadway) can be pricy. I was in town for a visit to see some Predators hockey at Bridgestone Arena & to enjoy a couple nights in the city, and I was happy to discover the very budget-friendly Nashville Downtown Hostel.

I've stayed in a lot of hostels around the world, and this is one of the nicest I've stayed in. Close to the action, but pretty quiet inside the building. You have to swipe your security card a few times to get into the building/on to elevator/etc so I felt pretty safe on the property. (very important as a single female traveler!)

There were two choices of bathrooms: single-sex communal bathrooms (multiple sinks, toilets, showers) and then handicapped-accessible private bathrooms (toilet, shower, sink). If bathroom privacy is your concern, use the handicapped-accessible ones; otherwise, the regular bathrooms are just fine.

I was there mid-week in early February. Nashville weather was great, but it wasn't prime tourist season, so it didn't seem like a lot of people were in the hostel. I was there solo, but had two other women share the room (one night each) for the two nights I was there. (I was in a 4-bed dorm room.) Bedclothes were all clean, bathrooms were clean, room was clean; common areas all looked very clean. No complaints on any sanitation! Nice front desk staff. My room had a nice view of the river and the Titans stadium across the river. The room was VERY spacious! Pretty good for about $25/night!

My suggestions for the hostel/room for improvements, which have been mentioned by other travelers:

- Lockers! The property could use two kinds of lockers: 1) in-room and 2) common area/pay per use so that you can store luggage if you're not traveling til late in the day. (Note to NDH's management: For comparison, I would look at HI-Boston's locker setup. They have in-room lockers with a hole in the side so you can have your electronics' chargers hanging out/plugged in while safely locked up, and you provide your own lock for the door. Downstairs in the common area are pay-by-hour/day use lockers.) (I have PacSafe bags so I feel secure about my bags, but not everybody has that!) At the bare minimum, if the hostel's renovation budget doesn't allow for installing lockers in every room yet, at least please get some pay-per-use lockers of varying sizes for the common areas so people don't have to carry all their valuables around the city.

- At least one chair in the rooms would be helpful. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something you can sit on while getting dressed, etc.

- Would be helpful if there were a small lamp, an electrical outlet, and a shelf for each bunk. There was only a choice of overhead light or no light at all, at least in the room I was in. (I got creative with shopping bags to hang some stuff within my bunk!)

- Having ceiling fans in the room would be very helpful. The temperature in the room in February was pretty comfortable, but some extra air flow would be great.

Mainly, my only concern was lack of lockers, and since I knew about that in advance, I brought what I needed with me to keep my belongings secure. But lockers would be very, very welcome.

This is a lovely place to stay. If you're in town for hockey, it's an easy 5-7 block ramble (about 10-15 minutes, tops) or so over to Bridgestone Arena/Country Music Hall of Fame/new convention center; and just two blocks off Broadway (and all the honky-tonks!). The Titans football stadium (LP Field) is walking distance across the river via the pedestrian bridge. There's a sports pub right downstairs and lots of other places to eat within the surrounding blocks.

The main city bus station is about 15-20 minutes' walk, but bus lines do pass the hostel. The Megabus stop is about 2 miles away (definitely arrange for a taxi when you're arriving - cost about $6-7 to the hostel from the stop) and the Nashville airport is about 20 minutes away. You can walk over to the bus station and catch a bus to the Grand Ol' Opry & Opry Mills mall (about 20-30 min bus ride). Good location for various touristy things in downtown Nashville!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rhydarr
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed here with my older brother while checking out Nashville. The staff is super nice and helpful. There is a great lounge area to play pool or just hang out. The location was perfect. Highly recommend staying here if you are looking for a fun social place on a budget

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My first time on a hostel and I love it!!!! I was a little worry for share the bathroom and the shower with other people but the hostel is REALLY clean. The people is really nice and it feels like a big family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The best hostel I've stayed in in North America. Rooms were open, airy, clean and spacious. It was refreshing not to see bunks jammed into every bit of available space. The bathrooms were excellent too and there's many good common areas.

The staff were efficient and thorough with things. This might but some people off but they run a tight ship and good on them.

5 mins walk to Broadway bars and 10 mins walk to Bridgestone Arena (shows, concerts, NHL). Also across the river from LP Field where the Tennessee Titans NFL team plays.

Definitely stay at this hostel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pmw_81
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

It was my first time in Nashville and I was a little bit worried about staying in a hostel, but I was wrong...this place made me feel right at home and is easily the best hostel I stayed in whilst on my travels across America. It has a great atmosphere, great staff and lovely comfortable beds all at an unbeatable price. Also the location is fantastic, right around the corner from Broadway where you will find fantastic honky tonk bars, restaurants and the Country Music Hall of Fame! Also if you are a musician like I am, I would strongly recommend staying here as you will meet like-minded musicians and they have a few guitars and a piano lying round where you can jam with new friends over a beer...bliss! Plus there are a lot of open mic nights close by to showcase your talent. Don't think about booking anywhere else for your stay in Nashville!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a really great hostel. It looks pretty new which is always nice and generally clean. The location is fantastic - walking distance to almost all the major attractions in Nashville. All the bars in Broadway are only a couple of blocks away and I felt perfectly safe as a female travelling solo walking back to the hostel alone at night.

I saw that someone complained on here about having to use your card to get into lots of doors. Some doors, more late at night - but it's nice to feel secure. I have also found that the better hostels throughout the US that I have stayed in have rules and I think it's a good thing because not everyone is always up until the early hours partying.

My only complaint is that the bathrooms have these timer lights in them...the amount of times it would suddenly be pitch black while I was in the shower haha and a tap that runs fast enough to fill a water bottle on the accommodation floor would be really handy. But would definitely recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo