“Gem of a find”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nashville Downtown Hostel
Tweed Heads, Australia
“Gem of a find”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Where to start about the great things about this hostel. Being an older couple travelling on a budget, I wish I could find really special places like this hostel to stay everywhere we go. From the very friendly helpful staff to the great amenities of the kitchen (for free tea and coffee and the use of condiments for cooking) the really comfortable lounge area, this is a well run hostel which feels like a home away from home. Loved the renovations so far and was really impressed with the overall cleanliness of all the areas. The security setup, needing a key card to access the sleeping areas of the hostel is a good touch. Good job guys.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Michigan
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Had a great experience here. I brought 9 students from MI to Nashville for an Alternative Spring Break trip and this was the perfect lodging set up for us. It's very cool inside and the lounge area was fun. Clean rooms and bathrooms. Would definitely would bring a group here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Best hostel I've ever stayed at! The location was within walking distance to the Ryman, Hall of Fame, Bridgestone Arena and the bars on Broadway. The only public transport I had to take during my stay was to the Opry. Very budget friendly considering the location. The hostel was clean and safe and had a great social/common room area for hanging out and meeting people. I was trying to think of any negatives and all I came up with was the water pressure in one of the bathrooms (not all). Not enough to drop my review down a point. Will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Marlena591
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

When I was traveling around Europe I stayed in a number of hostels. Some good, some bad, but never quite quite as well organized, clean, and well laid out as this one.

The rules are perfect too. They allow for a nice quiet place to sleep, and a fun place to hang out.

Would definitely recommend.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Very clean and comfortable. Almost feels like home. The staff are super friendly and always willing to help. Located on a perfect spot to enjoy the best Nashville's got to offer. Met the coolest people while staying there. Definitely coming back!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Nashville is a wonderful city to visit, but downtown accommodations (walking distance of lower Broadway) can be pricy. I was in town for a visit to see some Predators hockey at Bridgestone Arena & to enjoy a couple nights in the city, and I was happy to discover the very budget-friendly Nashville Downtown Hostel.

I've stayed in a lot of hostels around the world, and this is one of the nicest I've stayed in. Close to the action, but pretty quiet inside the building. You have to swipe your security card a few times to get into the building/on to elevator/etc so I felt pretty safe on the property. (very important as a single female traveler!)

There were two choices of bathrooms: single-sex communal bathrooms (multiple sinks, toilets, showers) and then handicapped-accessible private bathrooms (toilet, shower, sink). If bathroom privacy is your concern, use the handicapped-accessible ones; otherwise, the regular bathrooms are just fine.

I was there mid-week in early February. Nashville weather was great, but it wasn't prime tourist season, so it didn't seem like a lot of people were in the hostel. I was there solo, but had two other women share the room (one night each) for the two nights I was there. (I was in a 4-bed dorm room.) Bedclothes were all clean, bathrooms were clean, room was clean; common areas all looked very clean. No complaints on any sanitation! Nice front desk staff. My room had a nice view of the river and the Titans stadium across the river. The room was VERY spacious! Pretty good for about $25/night!

My suggestions for the hostel/room for improvements, which have been mentioned by other travelers:

- Lockers! The property could use two kinds of lockers: 1) in-room and 2) common area/pay per use so that you can store luggage if you're not traveling til late in the day. (Note to NDH's management: For comparison, I would look at HI-Boston's locker setup. They have in-room lockers with a hole in the side so you can have your electronics' chargers hanging out/plugged in while safely locked up, and you provide your own lock for the door. Downstairs in the common area are pay-by-hour/day use lockers.) (I have PacSafe bags so I feel secure about my bags, but not everybody has that!) At the bare minimum, if the hostel's renovation budget doesn't allow for installing lockers in every room yet, at least please get some pay-per-use lockers of varying sizes for the common areas so people don't have to carry all their valuables around the city.

- At least one chair in the rooms would be helpful. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something you can sit on while getting dressed, etc.

- Would be helpful if there were a small lamp, an electrical outlet, and a shelf for each bunk. There was only a choice of overhead light or no light at all, at least in the room I was in. (I got creative with shopping bags to hang some stuff within my bunk!)

- Having ceiling fans in the room would be very helpful. The temperature in the room in February was pretty comfortable, but some extra air flow would be great.

Mainly, my only concern was lack of lockers, and since I knew about that in advance, I brought what I needed with me to keep my belongings secure. But lockers would be very, very welcome.

This is a lovely place to stay. If you're in town for hockey, it's an easy 5-7 block ramble (about 10-15 minutes, tops) or so over to Bridgestone Arena/Country Music Hall of Fame/new convention center; and just two blocks off Broadway (and all the honky-tonks!). The Titans football stadium (LP Field) is walking distance across the river via the pedestrian bridge. There's a sports pub right downstairs and lots of other places to eat within the surrounding blocks.

The main city bus station is about 15-20 minutes' walk, but bus lines do pass the hostel. The Megabus stop is about 2 miles away (definitely arrange for a taxi when you're arriving - cost about $6-7 to the hostel from the stop) and the Nashville airport is about 20 minutes away. You can walk over to the bus station and catch a bus to the Grand Ol' Opry & Opry Mills mall (about 20-30 min bus ride). Good location for various touristy things in downtown Nashville!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rhydarr
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed here with my older brother while checking out Nashville. The staff is super nice and helpful. There is a great lounge area to play pool or just hang out. The location was perfect. Highly recommend staying here if you are looking for a fun social place on a budget

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends