“Just what we were looking for”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nashville Downtown Hostel
Macomb, Michigan
“Just what we were looking for”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

After extensive research I was very confident in choosing this hostel during my long weekend in Nashville.
-My friends and I were on a strict budget so we brought all of our own food. The kitchen was GREAT for every meal and included everything we needed.
-Since I read the reviews before booking I knew to ask for a room with a window but the rooms across the hall from us did not have windows. -just a warning
-The rules on the website were very unclear though. Food and alcohol were not allowed up in the rooms and liquor was NOT allowed at all! If they had the contract we had to sign on there website, I would've preferred to know the rules ahead of time.
-I suggest bringing a blanket or sleeping bag since the hostel was kept very cold
-the common area was perfect and the staff was very friendly
-Bathrooms were very clean!
-Location was superb! We walked everywhere!
Overall, the hostel was just what we were looking for and I was very impressed with the facility

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We are slightly bewildered by the other reviews here. Our stay was not enjoyable.

We believe that this hostel's success largely is based upon its lack of competition alone - there seem to be no other large hostels in Nashville.

When we arrived, we were immediately made to sign a manifesto of rules. We never heard anything positive or friendly from the staff - everything was put in the negative, a string of 'do nots'. There is also a charge for any extras including computer use.

We recognise that this is a hostel and therefore basic - but personable, helpful members of staff are often a given in much cheaper hostels than this. Equally, we have stayed in safe and orderly (and fun) hostels which do not need to resort to borderline aggressive signs and prohibitions to achieve this environment.

The hostel is clean and functional to a degree. However, our dorm contained no window and no furniture beyond two bunkbeds - not even a hook for a towel.

The common room is a social area where people mix; however this is more a statement about the people who stay here rather than the hostel itself.

Yes, the hostel is in a central location and yes, if you are just looking for a clean bathroom it does the job. However, unless you particularly enjoy the institutional (ex-cons, boarding school kids, lapsed nuns.....), you will better off somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank HarrietN
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Through my 5 weeks of travelling in the US and staying in hostels this was one of the best if not the best hostel I stayed at.

Very modern and extremely clean rooms with great lounge and dining areas.

Great location!

Everything you could want from a hostel and I only paid $40 a night which was very reasonable to me!

Stayed August 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend as part of a roadtrip. The staff were fine, but we have met a lot friendlier and more helpful. The location is amazing, really that is what you're paying for. The 24 hour social area was really good, lots of spontaneous musical jams and pool tournaments.

Our main issue with it was that it turned out to be one of the most expensive places to stay on our trip so far, which is not what you'd expect for a hostel! They charge for computer use, towels and $12 a day parking. I would recommend it because of the other tourists that we met there really helped make our trip, but just don't think of it as a bargain!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alex P
NDH_Hostel_Host, Manager at Nashville Downtown Hostel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
We are glad that we were able to provide centrally located lodging option for your party. Our WIFI is free but the workstation computers are fee operated. We do not have a parking lot but we pass along discounted parking rate from local parking operators.

We aspire to be one of the best value hostels in the U.S., not the cheapest hostel. Much of the cost associated with our operation is from the amazing location. We believe this is well worth the cost saving from transportation, time and effort all designed to offer the best value for you.

We are glad that you were able to experience our unforgettably magical hostel vibe. We believe someday you will look back and fondly remember the spontaneous jam sessions, billiard tournaments and the great social elements of our hostel rather than not being the cheapest bargain in Nashville.

Please send us email about the specifics of how our staff can assist our guests better. We are truly interested in being the best and friendliest hostel staff in the U.S. Thank you for taking the time for review.
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I really didn't want to leave... The staff was extremely friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and inclusive. The place itself was super clean. I've been to hostels in Europe, North America, Central America and South America. I can't recall of a place that was cleaner or so chic. In fact it's cleaner than most hotels I've stayed in. The kitchens look more like something you'd see in the back of a restaurant than a hostel.

This may have been happenstance but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it. There are times when traveling that things feel magical, in place, and harmonic. I had one of those nights at this hostel. The vibe was great and meeting people was pretty easy. Even for the shy like me.

The only negative comment I can make is that I could hear music from an adjacent building at night (I was on the 3rd floor in the Jimmy Hendrix room). Aside from that and the possibility of having room mates that don't respect your sleep (that can happen at any hostel) you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to stay.

Jose from wornoutboots.com

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Somerset
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Nashville Downtown Hostel is now my go-to place to stay every time I come down with my friends for a concert! Getting a room was easy, everything was super clean, and everyone was very friendly. The staff recommended restaurants and gave us the number to a cab service. We enjoyed it so much that we're staying again next week!

• Stayed July 2014
Saint-Just-Saint-Rambert, France
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Incredible staff team. Amazing location. Cleanest hostel you'll ever gonna go to. Seriously nothing bad about this hostel. You will have an amazing time in Nashville, you will enjoy every single piece of it, make beautiful friends and have an awesome time listening to live music and sleeping in a cosy comfy pretty hostel. Don't hesitate to book a room, but watch out, you might stay longer than you think ! ;)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo