“Comfort Food with a Capital "C"”
Review of Cafe Monell’s

Cafe Monell’s
Ranked #236 of 2,114 Restaurants in Nashville
Price range: US$8 - US$12
Description: Cafe Monell's is created as a small cafe serving southern food. The food is set up cafeteria style . Smaller tables and booths are available. If you are looking for our family style restaurants you will need to visit Monell's in Germantown in downtown Nashville or Monell's at the Manor located 6 miles from this location..
Reviewed 6 February 2014

If you want to enjoy Monell's famous fried chicken or other delicious "meat" without dining "family-style" with strangers, Cafe Monell is only a fifteen minute cab ride from downtown Nashville. We had the ribs and side dishes of corn pudding, mac and cheese, squash casserole, and green beans with a square of corn bread. All were uniquely delicious. The service is cafeteria style and the place settings are plastic, but the food and hospitable atmosphere fostered by Tim, the manager, and his crew made for an excellent dining experience and the total tab was under $25. It was very enjoyable.

2  Thank frankb582

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Not sure why this place gets all those glowing reviews, as I found the food here average at best.

Got here at around 5pm on a weekday. The place was nearly empty. This is a cafeteria style place, where you order your food, and sit anywhere. Like most other southern style places, you pick a meat, and then add side dishes. On a Monday, there were only about 4 choices of meats - fried chicken, meat loaf, chicken dumpling, and pulled pork, I believe.

The fried chicken were pre-cooked, and sat in a pile. I was curious how it compared to other fried chicken I had in the area, so I ordered it. It was warm at best, and a little soggy. It wasn't very tasty either. My wife had the meatloaf, and she thought it was decent. I also ordered cole slaw, which wasn't that good, and the cold cucumber salad, which was too sour for me.

For drinks, I ordered the fruit tea. It was a bit expensive at $3+, and no free refills.

On the plus side, the place was clean, and staff was friendly.

Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Like going to your grandma's house. Great food. Great, friendly service. Casual, homey atmosphere. Next time I will get dessert.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I didn't know fried chicken could be this good! Like the lady next to me said,"you've got to pace yourself 'cause you get a lot of great food." The grits, the jam, hashbrowns are all rather spectacular. Go hungry!

3  Thank Lynn30620
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Went there on our last day visiting Nashville and boy am I glad we did. The atmosphere alone is enough reason to come to this establishment but the food is out of this world. If your a picky eater this may not be the place for you because you get what the cooks prepare. But then again they bring out so many options your bound to find something you enjoy. I myself loved everything especially the fried chicken.

1  Thank jebunch82