“Great evening of food and entertainment”

Mikado Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #835 of 2,292 Restaurants in Nashville
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Excellent food. Somewhat pricey, but worth it. The steak is great. Shrimp is great. The show put on for us was really entertaining. It took about 90 minutes to get through the meal, but there was a ton of food and very entertained watching the chef.

Reviewed 6 September 2008

I've been a Nashville native for over 42 years and we have gone to Nashville for every major celebration since my son was born in 86! We don't even know the owners but we feel at home with every visit. The chefs are wonderful and always make us feel welcome. Some even recognize us since we go there all the time. It's a great break from the southern meat and three. Plus you know they gotta be doin something right if they've been around for so long!!

Reviewed 25 May 2008

Based on the previous reviews I chose this restaurant in Nashville for a "special" dinner for my departing German Foreign Exchange Student and his mother who was visiting before returning to Germany. Needless to say, I certainly won't ever go back... the food was prepared by a very good chef but he has no showmanship style that you would have expected and it was like watching someone prepare a hamburger on the grill in my back yard. I felt we were rushed thru dinner with a quick soup and salad presentation, then immediately to the meal... from start to finish was less than 30 minutes ! Not what I wanted and nothing like I have had previously at other Japanese style restaurants. I asked to speak to a manager and the waitress said "he not here tonight - sorry" ... when the bill came I left a minimum 10% tip, which seemed even too much for the terrible service and show. If you're looking for something in a "show" style for Japanese cooking, I believe you would do better at ANY other Nashville Japanese style restaurant! Henry Higgins, Greeneville, TN

Reviewed 28 January 2008

If you're going to go, then go for the entertainment - but don't expect fine dining. This was one of the most bland dinners I've had in awhile.
First the good news - it is entertaining and it is well suited for all ages. Expect the usual humor and showmanship associated with Japanese dining in America. The kids that were there loved it and sat wide-eyed throughout.
But the food was a disappointment, and it doesn't come cheaply either. The vegetables and rice were cooked first, and were quite cold by the time the chef had finished cooking the meat. Of course, you could eat the rice and veggies by themselves without waiting for the meat which I did partially because I was so hungry. They are serving a lot of people at one table and they cooked each meat one at a time so if you didn't order the filet (which I think was cooked first) then your rice and veggies got a little colder while you waited for your meat to be cooked.
When I finally did get the meat it was surprisingly bland. Not bad tasting, just no taste. Anything I would buy from Kroger and cooked on a George Foreman grill would easily have been better.
Very disappointing for such an expensive meal. Well, actually this would have been disappointing even if it had been an inexpensive meal.

1  Thank PDGood
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Last night, two friends and I decided to visit Mikado for dinner. One of my friends was a regular patron, my other friend had been there a few times, and it was my first visit. I was impressed when my friend pointed out that the restaurant had a 100 health department score. The other friend ordered a mudslide while we waited in the bar to be seated. The bartender was great and made a tasty, beautiful drink for my friend. Once we were seated, things began to go down hill.

First, after we had been seated for several minutes, the host came back and told us we would have to move to a different table because he had mistakenly seated us at a table which was reserved. Ok, no big deal. We looked at our menus and agreed that we all wanted the same thing: The Mikado Combination, which was shrimp, chicken, and steak. Since we were all getting the same thing, I was listening very carefully as my friend ordered first. I very clearly heard him correctly order The Mikado Combination. I then heard the heavily-accented waitress confirm by saying, "The Mikado Combination, number 10." I recognized the name of the dish, and didn't give the number a thought. I had never seen the menu before that night so didn't know number 10 from any other dish. When the chef arrived and began to cook our dinner, we noticed lobster on the grill. I spoke up and told the chef that our dinner did not come with lobster. He asked if we had ordered number 10. I said that I didn't know the number, but that it was the Mikado Combination with shrimp, steak, and chicken. Apparently that dish, at number 9, is the one directly above the Mikado SPECIAL Combination, number 10. We expressed that we were sorry for the misunderstanding, but that we had ordered the Mikado Combination, whatever number that was. The main difference is that number 10 is almost twice the price of number 9. He seemed unsure of what to do, but looked at us and said something to the effect of....well, I've already started to cook it now, the waitress is new, I'll take care of it. He then called the waitress over, told her of the mistake, and instructed her to charge us for number 9. Before I was even half way through my dinner, with an almost full plate of food in front of me, she brings our checks, places a dish of sherbert in front of us, right next to a still hot grill and tells us that our orders were confirmed multiple times and that she will have to charge us for the more expensive dinner. We tried to explain, told her of our conversation with the chef and how we had tried to correct the problem as soon as we saw the mistake. She then goes on to tell a different story about what the chef said and that she was sorry, but that he had cooked the more expensive dinner after also confirming our order. She honestly made us feel like she thought we were trying to cheat the restaurant. Needless to say, a rather tense discussion ensued and they did eventually, very obviously grudgingly, charge us for the less expensive dinner, but only after humiliating us in front of the other patrons and totally ruining the rest of our meal. We left immediately, with me only consuming half my meal. I have NEVER been treated so poorly by wait staff in my entire life and I will not be going back to this establishment. The area around this restaurant has deteriorated in recent years and I can only guess that perhaps this has become an issue for them. I would also suggest that perhaps the items on the menu should have more distinctive names and the waitresses should speak better English.

12  Thank baseluna