“Nice place, helpful owner”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Big Bungalow B&B
Ranked #6 of 24 Nashville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We visited in December 2011 for one cold, rainy December night. The owner was quite hospitable and upgraded our room for free. She also offered advise and maps of the area. Southern she is not, if that's what you want in an innkeeper in Nashville.

We found the location to be very convenient to downtown Nashville. It's located in what I'd call a mixed neigborhood similar to many downtowns with a mix of socio-economic status within a small area (I happen to live in such a neighborhood, but I get that some people might be freaked out). There are some beautiful old homes on the street with the B&B. There's gated parking behind the B&B for guests. We parked in front for several hours without concern or problem. I'm a walker, so was delighted that the B&B was a short distance away from downtown Nashville. The weather was too nasty for a walk, but it was an incredibly short car ride.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank hicksbee

Reviewed 27 December 2011

We actually went here in the last week of December 2010 to visit friends and go to the music city bowl, and everything was booked! We were actually booked to stay in another B&B but when the owner realized he had double booked, he helped us secure a stay here, which was nice on the part of both parties. While our room was decorative and clean, I didn't find the house itself to be all that inviting. It didn't make we want to come sit in the great room or eating area. The owner is not "homey" but she is cordial and accommodating. To me, a B&B is about the little extras, which I didn't find this place to have any except a small coffee maker out in the hallway. And as far as breakfast goes, I wasn't impressed, but then again, I am a cook at heart. It wasn't bad, I'm not saying that, it's just that, again, part of the word for this place is "breakfast" right, so I expect that to be one of the more memorable parts of staying here, and it wasn't. So it's not a bad place, I'm not saying that, if it's all you can find, go there, but it's just that if you're looking for your visit in Nashville to be about cozy, southern charm...keep looking.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PUJtravel
Reviewed 15 December 2011

My wife and I visited Nashville on our travels through the U.S and came across this B&B in the rough guide to the U.S.A book. As soon as we arrived at the Big Bunglows we immediately found the owner "Ellen" to be more than helpful with any advise, and went as far as to book us a table and seating at an excellent live music venue. Her knowlege of the city was greatly appreciated as she steared us into the right places for live music and super eat spots!
Ellen also encouraged us to sit and chat to the other guest, in her words "What are you guys doing, have you met yet??...."No"...."Well why the hell not!" Very funny lady.
Overall I could not recommend Ellens Big Bungalow enough! She was funny, welcoming and quite blatenly honest! I love that trait in people!
We would definately go back to see Ellen and get hammered at the honky tonks! :)

Nashville was excellent!!

Jay and Sharne (Oz couple)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ozziejay
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed at The Big Bungalow last summer as part of our Deep South country music honeymoon. I have stayed in a LOT of hotels and B&Bs in my time and I have to say I loved it here! The business is owned and run by New Yorker, Ellen who was always on-hand to give advice without being too much. Breakfasts were lovely and the room was absolutely stunning. Sadly, we didn't get to spend much time in the suite as we were too busy out exploring Nashville for the duration of our 3-day stop but it was a great place to 'come home' to. I'll definitely be going back :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Grand Suite - what a room! Perfect for what we needed!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We recently had the opportunity to stay at the Big Bungalow on a 3-day trip to Nashville. We had booked three nights at another B&B; Linden Manor is charming! Unfortunately, night 3 at Linden was not available but the owner, Catherine, found us a night at Big Bungalow. She was very kind to do so. I say "unfortunately" for many reasons. We did not feel at home at the Big Bungalow. As a couple of the other reviews mentioned (and Lord, I wish I had been more informed before traveling) Ellen at Big Bungalow was not my type of innkeeper. Opinionated and brash are not qualities I can relate to. She asked many unsolicited questions (as other reviewers have harkened) about our plans and when we responded, we were told, "Well, if you are in to that type of thing, fine but it is not for me." I did not ask for her opinion nor did I think her response was useful or appropriate. It was OUR trip - not hers.

On to the room - my only real complaint was the overwhelming smell of the twist-open Airwick gel air fresheners hidden in the room and closet. I am not a scent-sensitive person but those darn things gave me a roaring headache. I politely closed them for our stay and reopened upon departure. Likely, they were aimed at covering up the damp smell in the house. Our windows had heavy condensation on the inside. Old house – I get it. No problem.

The bedding and towels, while seemingly clean, had strong, woodsy/patchouli smells. Public-use linens should not have a smell. That is not a place to show your personality. I’ve stayed at several B&B’s and never encountered this before.

For the food - well, I was very impressed when asked if we had any food allergies when I made the reservation. I am allergic to strawberries and wish to not eat meat. What did we have for breakfast?? Soggy, undercooked French toast roll, topped with strawberries and a side of sausage patties. Normally, I would say something but we were so read y to just leave. You see, before breakfast, the guests were sitting at the breakfast table chatting about our travels and drinking coffee. The coffee carafe was empty so I took it to the kitchen. Ellen saw me put it on the counter and sternly asked what I needed. When I told her that the carafe was empty, she told me - I swear these were her words: "Just leave it on the counter and get out of my kitchen. I don't like anyone in my kitchen." Her tone was not witty or polite.

Bottom line, when I spend $150/night at a Southern B&B, I expect friendly hospitality, service and cleanliness in a cozy unobtrusive environment. My $150 did not buy me that this time.

So, if you are sking, “Would you stay there again?” My answer would be, “Definitely not.”
I will go back to Linden Manor though!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Schwiggie
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My wife and I decided to spend our 1 year anniversary in Nashville. We have friends in Nashville and absolutely love to spend time in and around the city, so Nashville was the perfect choice for us. We had a gift card to use for a bed and breakfast in the US, and in looking at all of the other B&B's in Nashville, The Big Bungalow seemed to have the best prices and rooms out of all the others.

We came down in September for our anniversary and we had an absolute blast! We stayed in the Grand Suite, which was absolutely amazing ... the room was incredibly clean, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was wonderful. Ellen is such a wonderful person to get to know, she is very knowledgeable of Nashville and the many things it has to offer, even places you wouldn't think of. She makes delicious breakfasts and even got up early to make us a little something when we left early in the morning. Ellen treated us extremely well and made us feel right at home.

The entire house is has been remodeled and fixed up - it looks incredible, both on the inside and out. The area seems sketchy at first, however there is nothing to fear. It is a safe area, and Ellen even lets you keep your car in the back of her lot behind a locked fence. We never felt unsafe there, and would come back to stay in a heartbeat.

If you're looking for the best bed & breakfast in Nashville, look no further than The Big Bungalow. You will not be disappointed, it is a Nashville must!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pamd30
Reviewed 22 September 2010

There’s something about Tennessee that attracts me. As a European I travelled many times to the US (‘Far From the Madding Crowd’, thank you Thomas Hardy), but since five years I keep coming back to the Volunteer State. Is it the beauty of nature ? The variety of choices for artistic expression ? The great eating adventures ? Or is it the Southern hospitality ? Probably a combination of all but certainly because of the generosity and kindness of the inhabitants of Tennessee. Take Ellen as an example. She runs the beautiful Big Bungalow B&B in historic Edgefield, within walking distance of downtown Nashville. Ellen prepares a delicious breakfast each day with a smile. She tells you where to go and what to do. Her rooms are spacious and clean with shower or bath, tv, cozy seats and excellent bed mattresses. Ellen loves music and art. The Bungalow is packed with paintings made by local artists, sculptures and dolls. Many dolls. The neighborhood is safe with restaurants and cafes nearby. It’s only a short drive to the beautiful Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, The Country Music Hall of Fame, Bell Meade Plantation, Belmont Mansion, the excellent Frist Center for the Visual Arts and Grand Ole Opry. Nashville is a destination that appeals to the interests of every visitor. If you are into music or sports; nature or culture, be sure to book your weekend or holidays at the peaceful Big Bungalow. You will not regret it ! The location is perfect and Ellen is a charming and beautiful personality. Someone with whom you immediately feel at home. Thank you Ellen for the wonderful reception and the beauty of your home. I’ll be back ! Peter from Brugge, Belgium, Europe.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo