“Fantastic place to stay in a Nashville neighborhood”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Big Bungalow B&B
Ranked #6 of 24 Nashville B&B and Inns
Lexington, Kentucky
“Fantastic place to stay in a Nashville neighborhood”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Get out of the hotels/motels and in to a wonderful place in a neighborhood in East Nashville where you can see something besides the highways and the chain restaurants! The Big Bungalow is a beautiful bed and breakfast. It's clean, comfy, some nicely decorated and you'll feel at home in the midst of an older Nashville neighborhood that's becoming an up and coming place to visit. Loved the historic home, the historic neighborhood, the restaurants and shops that are all locally owned and within walking distance of the bed and breakfast. The innkeeper, Ellen, is a delight. Full of good information, very helpful, a good cook and a great massage therapist. I highly recommend getting a massage while you're there. We will stay here again. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The Valentine room was very comfy. There's a tub in the room which may not suit some, but it was...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SallyLynKY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Kennesaw
Reviewed 26 August 2013

If you're not a morning person, beware. Ellen and her assistant can be quite overbearing. At breakfast, they want to know everything you got planned for the day. Everything. And they will ask every morning. They are great at recommending restaurants and things to do but if you already got it planned, it can be quite annoying. Also, they may sit you at a table with other guests even if there are empty tables available. I wish this had been communicated to me prior. I'm not a morning person and I don't want pressure to be social with strangers.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Becky J
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights and had a very positive experience. Ellen directed us to a great spot where we had a tasty dinner and listened to live music. Yes, our room was the smaller one, but being in Nashville, we were out all day playing tourists, not lamenting on the size of our room. Breakfast was provided every morning, and it sure wasn't "continental", it was always delicious and huge portions. Ellen is also a masseuse, and I surprised my girlfriend with a massage appointment our second morning here. We enjoyed our time spent in Nashville and at the Big Bungalow.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roy06837
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed at the Big Bungalow on the last 2 nights of a roadtrip through the South, where most of our hotel or b&b experiences were great. This was one of the most expensive we stayed in, but one of the poorest. The home is beautifully kept, spotless and well decorated, but our upstairs room was a rather strange shape, with almost no storage space as all the drawers seemed to be full of linen and woollens. The bathtub and shower was in the bedroom with a curtain surround - this was ok, but the plumbing was more European than American. The mattress felt like it had experienced better days. It reminded us a little of staying at someone's grandparents' house.
The breakfasts were extremely heavy and not very appetizing and the coffee drinkable, but not great.
Ellen, the owner, is certainly welcoming in her way and gave plenty of tips and advice, but we found her a little overbearing. This may be a cultural thing tho'
We did walk to downtown in daylight across the river - we wanted a long walk after a day of driving, but given the heat in Nashville this is not really "walking distance to downtown" and I would not recommend it. It definitely would be unwise at night as you pass low-rise projects and walk along a major road before getting to the footbridge over the river (from which you get great views). Street parking is not permitted, so you get a key to a car park at the back which is accessed via an alley - again this is fine, but is a bit creepy at night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JLAshVale
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at Ellen's B&B during the Country Music Festival. One word... AWESOME! Both the B&B and the Festival were far beyond our expectations. Ellen provides a very filling breakfast to get you through to a noontime first call, which was with my new friends Sam Adams and Jack Daniels. We stayed in the large room which was better than the photos depict. The king size bed was perfect for our weary bones after spending time partying in downtown. Separate sauna tub and shower were great! There was also a small, private den with couch and TV, which was a surprise bonus. The B&B is only 25 minutes walking distance to downtown, 5 minutes by car. Location was perfect. Also, check out the little neighborhood restaurant down the street for dinner. Very small, casual, and yummy! Worth mentioning... Nashville hospitality! We met some of the nicest people ever! Ellen... we'll be back!

Room Tip: Go for the BIG room! You won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We called en route looking for last minute accommodations and innkeeper was very kind to offer a reduced rate for their king suite - last room left. Spacious room and smaller sitting area with tv with lovely white bathroom with jacuzzi and separate shower. My main concern was safety. While this is a lovely home in an older, charming neighborhood, the surrounding area is very sketchy. The parking is by alleyway behind the home with deep pea gravel and limited lighting. It had been raining in Nashville for a long time and returning from a show that night a car had followed us down the alley, so we drove past and went around the block. My husband got out and unlocked the gate using the car headlights to see. I have never been scared when we travel, but this was so unnerving I was really undone. I was grateful to be inside. I would not stay here again for that very reason.

One other minor complaint...breakfast was ample but in the summer, would you think we'd have fresh fruit? Orange juice with a HUGE spinach fritatta and piece of buttered cranberry almond. Those were yummy but i missed the fresh fruit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GenieCharlotte_NC
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I needed a place to stay in Nashville, and I opt for the B&B when possible. Ellen was very friendly, and helpful about Nashville -- I used their recommended supper place both nights. The breakfast food was great -- she accomodated my vegetarianism very well. I had my own bathroom across the hall -- it and the room were very nice. The place was quiet, which is important to me. The wifi worked well. I was in walking distance of downtown Nashville. There was parking in the back. Just what I want in a B&B!

Room Tip: Two rooms have ensuite -- I was lucky to get the third one, and it was a minor inconvenience to cros...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo