“Absolutely Wonderful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Big Bungalow B&B
Ranked #6 of 24 Nashville B&B and Inns
MD
“Absolutely Wonderful”
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My wife and I decided to spend our 1 year anniversary in Nashville. We have friends in Nashville and absolutely love to spend time in and around the city, so Nashville was the perfect choice for us. We had a gift card to use for a bed and breakfast in the US, and in looking at all of the other B&B's in Nashville, The Big Bungalow seemed to have the best prices and rooms out of all the others.

We came down in September for our anniversary and we had an absolute blast! We stayed in the Grand Suite, which was absolutely amazing ... the room was incredibly clean, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was wonderful. Ellen is such a wonderful person to get to know, she is very knowledgeable of Nashville and the many things it has to offer, even places you wouldn't think of. She makes delicious breakfasts and even got up early to make us a little something when we left early in the morning. Ellen treated us extremely well and made us feel right at home.

The entire house is has been remodeled and fixed up - it looks incredible, both on the inside and out. The area seems sketchy at first, however there is nothing to fear. It is a safe area, and Ellen even lets you keep your car in the back of her lot behind a locked fence. We never felt unsafe there, and would come back to stay in a heartbeat.

If you're looking for the best bed & breakfast in Nashville, look no further than The Big Bungalow. You will not be disappointed, it is a Nashville must!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pamd30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 22 September 2010

There’s something about Tennessee that attracts me. As a European I travelled many times to the US (‘Far From the Madding Crowd’, thank you Thomas Hardy), but since five years I keep coming back to the Volunteer State. Is it the beauty of nature ? The variety of choices for artistic expression ? The great eating adventures ? Or is it the Southern hospitality ? Probably a combination of all but certainly because of the generosity and kindness of the inhabitants of Tennessee. Take Ellen as an example. She runs the beautiful Big Bungalow B&B in historic Edgefield, within walking distance of downtown Nashville. Ellen prepares a delicious breakfast each day with a smile. She tells you where to go and what to do. Her rooms are spacious and clean with shower or bath, tv, cozy seats and excellent bed mattresses. Ellen loves music and art. The Bungalow is packed with paintings made by local artists, sculptures and dolls. Many dolls. The neighborhood is safe with restaurants and cafes nearby. It’s only a short drive to the beautiful Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, The Country Music Hall of Fame, Bell Meade Plantation, Belmont Mansion, the excellent Frist Center for the Visual Arts and Grand Ole Opry. Nashville is a destination that appeals to the interests of every visitor. If you are into music or sports; nature or culture, be sure to book your weekend or holidays at the peaceful Big Bungalow. You will not regret it ! The location is perfect and Ellen is a charming and beautiful personality. Someone with whom you immediately feel at home. Thank you Ellen for the wonderful reception and the beauty of your home. I’ll be back ! Peter from Brugge, Belgium, Europe.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank 0Peter
Madison, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I have had the pleasure of staying at The Big Bungalow Bed and Breakfast three times now over the past 5 years. It is the perfect staycation for me because it feels warm and friendly, has a fantastic breakfast, and an Inn keeper that gives me new ideas of places to visit...even though I live fairly close by. I have tried two of the rooms. The Valentine suite is my favorite (so far).
The location is a quick trip to downtown to sight see or have drinks. One can easily catch a cab; the Inn keeper will help with that as well.
Do spend a night at the Big Bungalow Bed and Breakfast for your staycation if you're local, and if you are not, grab a few nights at the Valentine suite on your way to where ever~

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Toms River, NJ
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My boyfriend and I planned a trip to Nashville and decided on a B&B as opposed to a hotel. Since we had never been to Nasvhille before, but love country music and dirt on the floor honky tonks, we figured a B&B would be great because the hostess could give us lots of local info on the best places to go.
The house was not in a very good section of town, and we were concerned about that, but came to find out it was very unwarranted. We never once had a problem while we were there even though it seemed the "projects" were right across the street. The house was very nice and I loved some of the art. There lines the problem. The whole time we were there, "Susan" talked non-stop about her mother (she did most of the paintings and sculptures in the home) and also about herself, as she had recorded some songs.
The first night we asked for some suggestions on where were good places to hit, explaining that we were country music fans and loved a good honky tonk and BBQ. "Susan" took it upon herself to book us a reservation at a very expensive, Jazz type, restaurant. We were both extrememly under dressed as we mostly packed jeans and cowboy boots, so we felt very out of place. Everyone in the restaurant had on dress shirts, dresses ,heels, nice pants, etc.... The food was great, but extremely expensive and the music was not for us at all. We would have left and ate elsewhere when we saw the place but figured she was nice enough to make the reservation so the least we could do was try it.
The rest of the trip was uneventful, except for that fact that we finally were able to find all the really great honky tonks (ie..Tootsies, Roberts Western World, WildHorse Saloon, etc) and had a bit too much fun, and then felt bad coming back in the house at like 3am with our cowboy boots making a racket on the hardwood floors, lol
And one other note..if you plan on going out drinking and come in late, and think you may be a bit hung over the next day and won't want breakfast..leave a note on the fridge or something...she got very mad that I wouldn't come down for breakfast the one morning.
All in all it was a wonderful trip, comfy beds, very clean, food was great (when I ate) but she was bit too nosey and quick to talk about herself, for hours. Hotel for us next time, one perferrably in walking distance to Music Row.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Brandyfitz32
Tucson
Reviewed 13 July 2010

From the moment that we walked through the door for the first time til the day that we left Ellen (the owner) made us feel at home. The house and the rooms were very clean and up-to-date. One of the most important things that I look for when staying at any hotel or B&B is how comfortable is the bed. Many wouldn't fit the bill for us in this category but the Big Bungalow was top notch. The beds were awesome with lots of padding and once again very clean. We got our breakfast right on time every morning and the food was really good. I would definately stay at this B&B again when we return to Nashville.

Hi Ellen, I hope you're doing well :)

Dee Jay
Cheers from Tucson, Arizona

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
LisaSimmons
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Right from the moment we arrived Ellen made us feel so welcome. The Big Bungalow is on a beautiful, all american street. Lots of individual houses, all with their own style, everyone with a fab front porch and swingy seat! The house itself is beautiful, huge and all mod cons, air conditioning throughout and the biggest bed I've ever seen! The breakfast was full on american cooked breakfast, eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, even Elvis french toast one day (PB &J french toast, unbelievable!) When I asked for something a little lighter, it was no problem, granola with fruit and yoghurt, fresh orange and fresh coffee. The Big Bungalow was about a 10 minute walk into downtown Nashville. When we asked Ellen if it was safe to walk at night, she said she wouldn't, as a female on her own, but she thought that us two as a male/female couple would be fine. We asked a few other people and they agreed. After waiting for an hour and a half for a cab the first night for a 3 minute journey, we walked the next night and it was absolutely fine, we walked every night then. Ellen was wonderful, she even gave us a ride into the city and to a local restaurant. She was a star and we wouldn't stay anywhere else if we ever returned to Nashville, which I know we will.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LisaSimmons
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We have stayed at many B & B's all over the world but never encountered a hostess who served breakast barefooted with her just-washed hair wrapped in a towel. That sort of gives you an idea of how this owner makes you feel too much "at home." Her constant questions re our plans and activities bordered on the ridiculous! We finally resorted to"casing" the place before we entered in an attempt to avoid her. During a massage arranged with her ahead of time she left me lying on the table to go attend to other guests for about ten minutes. In short, she could use some lessons in professionalism and boundry setting.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank letsgo1717
InnkeeperNashville, Owner at The Big Bungalow B&B, responded to this review, 7 September 2010
I'd like to respond to a couple of recent reviews. Being a B&B owner it is my job to try to help my guests have the best possible time by making suggestions and helping them find great places to eat and hear music,etc. While some folks prefer to be on their own I find the majority appreciate the extra guidance. I love Nashville and I am truly excited to share it with my guests.
I do not ever recall talking about myself for hours at any time however, being here in Nashville most everyone is or has been in the music business. I think that many of my guests enjoy hearing about their innkeeper. This summer my 87 year old mother was visiting for a number of weeks. She is a professional artist and did some ads in 1946 that are being sold in the Frist Museum gift shop. She was so excited! Everyone who stayed here made such a fuss over her as did I. They even had her autograph the prints they purchased. She felt like a celebrity. And we treated her as one!
There is a definite B&B style that is not for everyone. While I am a good person I know that not everyone will like me, but I was terribly hurt by the couple of mean spirited reviews and surprised that whoever wrote them found it necessary to be so mean! Thank you for all the great reviews and to all the wonderful people that cross my path and make The Big Bungalow a great place to visit.

Ellen