“Poor - Look Elsewhere”
Review of Music City Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Music City Hostel
Australia
“Poor - Look Elsewhere”
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We got this hostel from the Lonely Planet, but its definitely a poor recommendation. The kitchen is so small that if anyone else is in it you can't cook anything, there is nothing free included as is with most hostels (eg internet), it has a tiny tv with nowhere proper to sit and watch it, and the dorm beds are uncomfortable as hell. The location is also a long long way from the main area of Nashville, so taxi only to get in (extra expense). The owner/manager has a serious attitude problem with people staying as well and I felt extremely uncomfortable the whole time - I ended up checking out a day early and was refused a return of payment for my final night. I don't like complaining and have never felt the need to write a bad review before but this place really got my back up.

• Liked — The fellow travellers - good spirit of unity
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank travellingisis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
England
Reviewed 3 July 2008

We booked a room in the hostel the day before arrival, and the owner said he was full but could put us in his "overflow" accommodation, which was a big caravan. We agreed and booked it, without taking a deposit, to arrive shortly after 1, when our bus got in. We got to the hostel at 1.45, by which time he had already given our room to someone else as he told us we were "too late". His plan was then to sleep us in a tent, but when he realised he would have to buy one he told us we would be sleeping in his shed instead, and he would clean it out! We first agreed as this was the only hostel in Nashville, but when we looked later on we realised it was the bag storage shed, everyone had access, and "cleaning it" involved placing 2 single mattressess on top of each other (for 2 of us to sleep on), with lots of dirty bikes on one side, no linen or blankets, no light and no way to lock ourselves in against those wanting to store bags. The worst part was that HE thought he was doing us a favour by letting us sleep in there! The owner appears to be one of the greediest men ever, especially as he still wanted full dorm room rate for placing us in the shed! Other facilities are also useless, such as a kitchen so small you can fit one person at a time in it. Basically, never consider staying here. We found a cheap hotel just round the corner and stayed there instead - there's plenty.

• Liked — nothing whatsoever
  • Disliked — the owner - I can't write a polite description of him here!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alex_44_86
AussieJordan, Owner / Manager at Music City Hostel, responded to this review, 10 August 2008
The tone of this review proves that the above review is a vindictive lie. The truth is that this customer wanted to make reservation without placing a deposit or credit card. All reservation inquiries without deposit or credit card is treated as a walk-in. This means first come first served. Noon is our check-out time. I had one room coming vacant so as a courtesy I told her that I'll wait until 1PM before I take other walk-ins. She and her friend showed up at our hostel at 1:45PM and said they have a reservation. I said since she did not show by 1PM I had sold the room to other walk-in guest. She became emotionally charged accusing me that I had given away their reservation. She said the Greyhound was late and it was not their fault that they were late. She was mad and she demanded a room for them. What was I to do? Create a room out of thin air? They said anything is OK and asked about pitching a tent in our grass court yard. And they wanted me to provide the tent. I refused and questioned her reasoning for expecting a room with out a deposit or after being 45 minutes late for a walk-in hold. She became even more angry. Her traveling mate was more rational. He understood. They were traveling with heavy backpacks. So, I had taken them to the storage so they can store away their packs so they can look for a place to stay in town without lugging around their packs. I didn't even charge to hold the bags. This review about Music City Hostel is irrational, irresponsible, and vindictive and is aimed at insulting my character rather than a review about the hostel.
York, UK
Reviewed 28 January 2008

This was the most affordable accommodation we could find in Nashville, but as we are young professionals and not students or backpackers, we found it a bit basic. It was clean enough, but we were bitten by bedbugs on the first two nights and then decided to leave and stay with a friend in Nashville instead. Management were sympathetic and refunded our money for the remaining nights.

• Stayed October 2007
new york
Reviewed 29 December 2007

Nashville is a great place to visit; I personally love music and this is one of my fave places in the US. For rock music I would recommend Exit /In at Elliston for country music definitely the bars on Broadway; you can even find karaokes :)
One thing don't forget to tip the musicians.
The staff at the hostel were very helpful and friendly; I really enjoy my staying.
Thanks to Hope and Ron

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything was ok
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 17 April 2007

We stayed two nights and it was ok but not really what I expect from a hostel. It was noisey but pretty clean and it was not in the best area of town. It was close to several restaurants and easy to find.

• Stayed April 2007
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 24 March 2007

We stayed here for 4 nights for part of our spring break and had a wonderful time! Music City was full of a lot of different people. It was within walking distance of the Parthenon and Vanderbilt. There is parking available. There are kitchens too. Each room has 2 bunk beds. There is only one bathroom between 12 people if the rooms are full... but we didn't have too much trouble with that.

The facility could have been more secure. There is a key code to get in the door.. but I'm not sure how often that is changed. There are lockers available.

Overall, we had a good time. The staff was very friendly but sometimes hard to find.

• Liked — Good location. Cheap accomodations. Ability to meet new people.
  • Disliked — Lack of security. Shared bathroom with many people
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends