“Awesome first hostel experience”
Review of Music City Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Music City Hostel
Reviewed 26 April 2009

This was my first experience staying in a hostel and I am sold! I brought my 14-year-old daughter and her friend here for a week. The staff are fantastic. The place is clean, organized, and very well run. Wonderful sense of community. Great location -- very convenient to downtown Nashville. Off-street parking, ample access to bathrooms, well stocked/equipped kitchen. These guys really care about your total experience. They are understandably proud of their facilities and service. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 April 2009

They were in a middle of a refub, so I only stayed a couple of nights. But the place was clean and the staff lovely.

The location wasnt as close to the centre as I thought it was but still not miles away.

Internet was fantastic, very fast.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2008

At first i thought it was going to be terrible, but the ;ady was so helpful she gives yo a map and tells you were to go and were to stay clear from, at night everyone sits outside withe the guitar playing drinking games before heading off into tow. It is like staying at your grannys house very cute.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2008

I had a great time at Music City Hostel. I booked a private room because I knew I wasn't in a mood to bunk in with others. It was lovely. Clean. I had a private half bath.

Ron and Hope (the management) were friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to make sure the many varied travelers who arrived at their door knew where they were going and how to get there. They collected info about free events and freely and patiently dispensed it all day long.

When I coughed all night from a cold, Hope arrived the next morning at my door with orange juice to help me get better. The Raddison wouldn't do that for you!

Sure it's not a hotel, but I didn't go there expecting a hotel. The place is clean and the vibe is friendly. If you want an economical place to stay in Nashville and to meet a few interesting people while you're at it - go to the Music City Hostel. You can sing along with the folks on the front porch playing guitar.

Read the reviews on the Hostelling sites if you don't believe me. You'll enjoy the Music City Hostel if you have appropriate expectations.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank DCPAgirl
Reviewed 21 September 2008

You get what you pay for and the price reflected what we got.
The hostel is arranged like a series of little bungalow houses. Ours seemed to have two private rooms which each could hold 4 people. There were another two curtained off areas which seemed to hold another 4 each. I felt pretty sorry for the guys in one of these areas as it was right by the door and everyone had to walk past them to get to their beds - and it wasn't so much a curtain protecting their privacy as a half-blind.
Having said that, the place was pretty clean and tidy for a hostel and the atmosphere between all those staying was good.
The lady who runs the place is pretty firm but I got the feeling she was probably a softie underneath once you got to know her.

Overall, I'd stay here again for the money -- but I'd prefer to have more money to stay somewhere of better quality.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We got this hostel from the Lonely Planet, but its definitely a poor recommendation. The kitchen is so small that if anyone else is in it you can't cook anything, there is nothing free included as is with most hostels (eg internet), it has a tiny tv with nowhere proper to sit and watch it, and the dorm beds are uncomfortable as hell. The location is also a long long way from the main area of Nashville, so taxi only to get in (extra expense). The owner/manager has a serious attitude problem with people staying as well and I felt extremely uncomfortable the whole time - I ended up checking out a day early and was refused a return of payment for my final night. I don't like complaining and have never felt the need to write a bad review before but this place really got my back up.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank travellingisis
Reviewed 3 July 2008

We booked a room in the hostel the day before arrival, and the owner said he was full but could put us in his "overflow" accommodation, which was a big caravan. We agreed and booked it, without taking a deposit, to arrive shortly after 1, when our bus got in. We got to the hostel at 1.45, by which time he had already given our room to someone else as he told us we were "too late". His plan was then to sleep us in a tent, but when he realised he would have to buy one he told us we would be sleeping in his shed instead, and he would clean it out! We first agreed as this was the only hostel in Nashville, but when we looked later on we realised it was the bag storage shed, everyone had access, and "cleaning it" involved placing 2 single mattressess on top of each other (for 2 of us to sleep on), with lots of dirty bikes on one side, no linen or blankets, no light and no way to lock ourselves in against those wanting to store bags. The worst part was that HE thought he was doing us a favour by letting us sleep in there! The owner appears to be one of the greediest men ever, especially as he still wanted full dorm room rate for placing us in the shed! Other facilities are also useless, such as a kitchen so small you can fit one person at a time in it. Basically, never consider staying here. We found a cheap hotel just round the corner and stayed there instead - there's plenty.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alex_44_86
AussieJordan, Owner / Manager at Music City Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2008

The tone of this review proves that the above review is a vindictive lie. The truth is that this customer wanted to make reservation without placing a deposit or credit card. All reservation inquiries without deposit or credit card is treated as a walk-in. This means first come first served. Noon is our check-out time. I had one room coming vacant so as a courtesy I told her that I'll wait until 1PM before I take other walk-ins. She and her friend showed up at our hostel at 1:45PM and said they have a reservation. I said since she did not show by 1PM I had sold the room to other walk-in guest. She became emotionally charged accusing me that I had given away their reservation. She said the Greyhound was late and it was not their fault that they were late. She was mad and she demanded a room for them. What was I to do? Create a room out of thin air? They said anything is OK and asked about pitching a tent in our grass court yard. And they wanted me to provide the tent. I refused and questioned her reasoning for expecting a room with out a deposit or after being 45 minutes late for a walk-in hold. She became even more angry. Her traveling mate was more rational. He understood. They were traveling with heavy backpacks. So, I had taken them to the storage so they can store away their packs so they can look for a place to stay in town without lugging around their packs. I didn't even charge to hold the bags. This review about Music City Hostel is irrational, irresponsible, and vindictive and is aimed at insulting my character rather than a review about the hostel.