“Mixed feelings about our stay at Aloft West End”

Aloft Nashville West End
Ranked #77 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Pros:
- Location away from the Broadway street madness and nearer quieter restaurants and bars (Catbird Seat, Patterson House). We enjoy walking and biking and did so to visit other neighborhoods.
- Our room rate included "breakfast" which was two $10 vouchers -- we used them in the snack bar, mostly for bottled Evian and San Pellegrino waters.
- Staff was friendly.
- If you are traveling to Nashville with a bachelor or bachelorette party, based on the other groups staying at the hotel, this is your place!

The Cons:
- Not near much of interest.
- Price point was higher than we typically book, but was priced competitively with other options in the area.
- Staff was not very knowledgeable with concierge services in directing us to bars/restaurants or the bike share rental stations (they did not even know about Nashville's bike sharing program).
- Based on room advice on TripAdvisor, I asked for a room away from the elevator and ice machine and my room was across from BOTH!
- The handle to the shower was sitting on the bathroom counter upon my arrival.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Aloft Nashville West End

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel was in a great area, the bed was comfortable, and check-in was very easy and friendly. Unfortunately, the good things about my experience at this hotel stop there. I won’t complain about the lack of elevator because that is not within the hotel’s control, but upon entering the room, the first thing my fiancée and I noticed were dark black marks on the wall adjacent to the door. I was tempted to buy a magic eraser © to clean them up, but my fiancée said that we spent too much on the room already to pay to clean it. Upon further inspection, the tile around the toilet was dirty, the shower was awkward as there was no door or drapery to prevent water splashing out of the shower, and the wooden floor laminate was detached in one part of the room and coming up in another. This was honestly one of the worst rooms I have stayed in. Considering that this was booked and paid for in advance for a romantic getaway/med school celebration, we were both extremely disappointed at the cheap feel and dirty nature of this room. My advice to anyone thinking of staying here is to try to see the actual room before you provide your credit card information. DO NOT pay in advance. There may be nice rooms in this property but based on my experience, I will likely resort to properties with which I am already comfortable for future trips. In summary, floors were coming up, toilet area was unclean, and wall was marked up significantly. Very unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: My room was unsatisfactory. A tip would be to examine your room before you agree to pay for it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nolan B
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Nashville West End, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Nolan B,
Thank you for taking the time to write us your honest review. We are glad you received great service from our front desk staff and enjoyed our comfortable beds; however, we are very sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay. Cleanliness is very important to us, and we apologize we did not meet these expectations in your case. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we will work with our team to ensure all rooms are top notch. Thank you again for sharing with us, and we hope we will have another chance to impress you with our hotel. Take care.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel is about 1.5 mile walk to downtown Nashville. However, I would recommend taking the taxi. Staff's very friendly from the valets to the receptionists. Our bedroom had a lot of wall art and an attractive color scheme. Fridge was useful as we need to keep our ice packs frozen. Overall, a cool hotel that I would come back to.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you're between 18-40 and want to stay in Nashville, near bars and restaurants and Music Row you can't do better than Aloft.

It has cool art, pool table, free wifi and cool staff - but is not at all pretentious.

It's like a backpackers' hostel and a W Hotel had a baby and it was the Aloft Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melbourne0410
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Hotel and rooms are well maintained. Front desk staff and bartender were super friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations, directions, etc. I thought I was booking a hotel right by the honky tonks, which it is not - it is by Music Row which is the studios. It was about a 1.5 mile walk to get down to the live music area which was fine (we cabbed back for about $8). Room was ok except it was a weird shape, and for our particular room the curtains didn't extend to this odd point which let in a lot of sunlight early morning. They recommended a good lunch spot, The Row a couple of blocks away (good food and local mircobrews). Hotel was on the expensive side.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at Aloft hotel during my short trip to Nashville while I was doing my interviews. I had the worst experience ever. One day I called the front desk to ask if they had any laundry service available in the hotel and they said there was a service available and that I need to put my clothes in the bag and leave the bag outside of my room. (sketchy already, no?) I specifically asked if they are going to be ready the next day since I had to leave in a day early in the morning. The woman said that my clothes will be ready first thing in the morning and will be brought up to my room the following morning. I did as I was instructed and left the bag outside of my room. The following day my clothes did not arrive in the morning so I called later in the afternoon to check on them and the receptionist said she will look for them and either bring them up to me or call me back. An hour later, there was still no call. I called again and had to explain the situation. I had to talk to the manager who informed me that my clothes were NOT sent to the laundry service for some unknown reason. (How hard is it to send the clothes to the laundry service? It's not rocket science!!!) When I informed him I needed my blazer for another interview in Chicago, he said he will try to figure something out. The point is that they returned my blazer that is still not clean at all. And my jeans were dirty as well. Even though I didn't say that I didn't need my jeans for an interview it didn't mean that they didn't have to clean them at all. I refuse to put those jeans on since they are still dirty. However, tomorrow I have to fly to Chicago and those are the only pair of pants that I have. Moreover, the rest of my things was lost as well and I had to go to the receptionist desk multiple times and figure it out. The point is DON'T STAY IN THAT HOTEL!!! they can't even perform basic tasks and their staff is incompetent!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Danochka
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked this place instead of some of the other big name hotels right in the heart of downtown Nashville and it was a pleasant surprise. The Aloft is not in the heart of the the "party" district but it is close enough to walk if you wish or take a short cab ride.
The hotel itself is nice , the room we stayed in reminded me of a studio style apartment that was obviously recently renovated. The Bathrooms were tastefully done and the fixtures were very modern. The open floor plan was a nice change from the usual hotel set up and the bed was very comfortable. In addition, the room had two large mattress style bean bag lounge pieces that were a nice touch. The only issue I found with the room is that the table/desk that the flat screen TV was on was located to the right of the bed and not at the foot of the bed so watching TV could prove to be a bit uncomfortable. The accommodations were nice with a good size flat screen TV and a small fridge.
There is a fitness room around the corner from the front desk which has a decent amount of equipment and they also have complementary ear buds for anyone who may not have remembered to bring theirs which was a nice surprise.
The lobby had a small store where you could get some decent snacks and drinks and the front desk staff was very helpful. There is no free continental breakfast but there is a breakfast style bar in the lobby where you can grab a bite to eat. On the weekends they had some live music in the bar area at night which was cool. There are some great Bars and restaurants nearby as is the Campus of Vanderbilt University. The view from the window of our room was not great as it overlooked a bank parking lot and a car wash but I was not staying in the room for the view out the window.
There is Valet parking which I highly recommend taking advantage of and you can take your car in and out as many times a day as you want to with no additional charge.
As for the price, the Aloft was cheaper than the other chain hotels that were closer to the downtown area and I felt it was a great value for the price.
The only thing that I would count as a small negative is that the hotel vestibule is shared with the door to a Sushi restaurant and every time you got near the vestibule in the hotel lobby the smell of raw fish was a bit overwhelming, especially in the morning.
Overall I would recommend this hotel and if I return to Nashville I will certainly try to book at the Aloft again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family