“Amazing food, but experience lacks polish ”

The Chef and I on Ninth
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chef and I on Ninth is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #174 of 2,179 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had the 7 course tasting menu with the wine pairing and the food and wines were excellent. Unfortunately the atmosphere and the service didn’t really match the food. The atmosphere was a little confusing - there were large flat screens showing music videos, and the servers were casually dressed with ball caps. That would have been fine at a sports bar, but it didn’t really match the $300 price tag of our tasting meal and drinks. The food was absolutely amazing, but our server and food runners didn’t describe it at all, leaving us unsure what we were eating. All around us, diners were trying to figure out the food. We stopped to ask the food runner what she was bringing us, but she didn’t know. Same with our wines - I wanted someone to tell us what we were drinking and why it had been paired with that particular course. Also, it was a challenge for our server to get our wines to us at the same time as the food course it was paired with. Overall, I love the tasting menu and the food, but the overall experience lacks polish, and doesn’t match the price tag.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The setup is awesome here. There is a u-shaped bar around the kitchen and then 3 long tables right next to the bar, so no matter where you are sitting, you can see the kitchen. Our server was very knowledgeable and provided great recommendations. The food was great all around, and we especially enjoyed the duck and the pimento cheese and bacon appetizer.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I had a refreshingly amazing experience at The Chef and I. I ordered the Josh Merlot and the Scallops. Both were fabulous. My wife ordered the butternut squash caprese salad with bacon and was thrilled with it as well. During dinner, we saw the bartender charring wood at the bar and filling glasses with smoke. So, we went to the bar after dinner for a cocktail. I had the old fashioned in the smoked glass. He set fire to a cedar plank, set my glass on top of the smoking wood, and then poured the old fashioned quickly into the glass. I have never had a better cocktail. The only thing that kept me from giving the restaurant an "excellent" rating was the lack of any seating other than community type tables. There are only two tables for two in the restaurant. The rest of the seating is at the bars or community tables. It was so loud it was hard to even have a conversation with my wife and we were sandwiched in between people at a large community table. I'll go back for the food and drink, but I would GREATLY prefer to be able to sit at a table with my wife for date night and not 10 strangers.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We went for brunch and sat at a hightop , unlimited mimosas ,and any other kind of cocktail you can imagine .I got the duck and waffles and every bite was a taste sensation, I’m pretty sure I will remember this meal for the rest of my life.The duck is crispy and juicy ,the BlackBerries tart and sweet the butter melted , and the waffles stayed crunchy to my last bite,which never happens! Our waiter was great he give his good price. You can also sit at the chefs counter ,broad expanse of bar that wraps around the kitchen ,that seemed like a prettylively place to be as well!! Very close to the coach or you could also walk around and shop either before or after brunch!

Reviewed 16 May 2018

If you enjoy watching food being prepared you'll like The Chef and I. You can sit at the bar that is "U" shaped around the kitchen. We talked with the kitchen staff as they prepared salads and desserts. The food was tasty, the staff pleasant. I'd go back!