“Wonderful Hospitality”

Ranked #21 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Scotland
“Wonderful Hospitality”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

We stayed at the Hampton Inn during the CMA Music Festival June 2009 and couldn't fault it. Everyone was so friendly and made our stay so welcoming. The breakfasts were great and set us up for the day. There a couple of good restaurants across the road from the hotel and could definitely recommend them. Nothing was a bother for the staff and they even got us a timetable for the local buses. Would use this chain of hotels again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scottie076

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 17 June 2009

This was not our first choice and when reading some reviews after booking it we were quite concerned. The hotel is not new but by no means is it as bad as some reviews here made it seem. Carpet and decor might be called dated. The lobby and front desk area is small but was well staffed and there were no issues with our reservation. The elevator location is a bit odd down the hall from the lobby past first floor rooms. Note – these first floor rooms are right off the lobby and breakfast area.

Our 3rd floor king room was good size with a pull-out couch and full desk. There is a window box type air conditioner which cooled the room sufficiently. Closet and drawer space for unpacking is modest – we had to remove the extra blanket and ironing board from the closet to accommodate our clothes. King bed was very comfortable and the linens were soft and impeccable. The bathroom is small but fully functional although the counter space is seriously deficient for women. Full size blow dryer is nice. Coffee maker is a per cup type not a small pot (we bring our own coffee and filters). Maid service did not try to wake us when we had the “resting” tag in our door lock and when we stayed in one day past noon they left a bag with extra towels and coffee.

Free breakfast was decent with a hot entrée choice, cereal, baked goods, fruit, yogurt and beverages. FREE parking was a big plus and we didn’t have a problem finding a space even during CMA MusicFest week when the town is packed. It has a small pool which we didn’t use. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JW_LW
gorgeous hudson valley
Reviewed 9 June 2009

After staying at sooo many great hotels, the odds are pretty good that you'll find a dud..and this Hampton Inn was a Major Dud. I had booked our room months in advance of our trip--top floor, upgrade if possible. Being a Diamond HHonors member, you get what you ask for. At check-in I was put on the 3rd floor, (first mistake) asked for an upper floor but was told without hesitation, those rooms were assigned to others. Some of the people hadn't checked in yet and were not Diamond HHonors members...didn't matter, they were not going to budge. I even asked for a rate reduction since my requests hadn't been met..."Nice try, but I can't do that" We could have a room next to the Fitness center or a room on the 3rd floor. Checked out the room on the 3rd floor and pictures follow. The only one that's not too clear is what I call 'junk' on the wall...I hoped it was either mayonnaise or hand lotion or something..but it was gross....Called HHonors, they tried to help and were able to move me out of my room to a room on the 4th floor, double beds, who cares..it was cleaner that the room on the 3rd floor across from the elevator.
The hotel was sold out for the weekend...good for them. But the lack of customer service and hospitality was not befitting of a Hilton Property. My complaints were answered with this phrase.."well, you're catching us right before renovations." But as I can see from the recent postings, they still haven't been renovated.... It is frustrating to pay $199 for a room which at best should go for $89. You are very close to the University--it's a college town and we loved the town, not the hotel....

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2toots
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I stayed at this Hampton the second weekend of May to attend the Vanderbilt graduation ceremonies. I have always been pleased with Hamptons until now. We were given a "nonsmoking" room but walked in to a punch-you-in-the-face waft of disgusting, decades-old smoke. We complained and were told that it was in fact a non-smoking room, but that it had just been converted from "smoking" one week earlier. Seriously? Are you kidding me? Of course, we asked to be moved and were told they were all sold out until the next day. I didn't want to complain too much because I was with family, but it is ridiculous that we paid $200 for that first night. I had a sore throat and my clothes smelled like smoke the whole weekend!
Also, the breakfast sucked and the room wasn't very clean. The whole thing was just overpriced and disappointing. As far as I'm concerned, these jerks owe me money for ruining my trip. Don't stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Tito-El-Bandito
McMinnville, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My husband and I booked a room here in early March because we were scheduled for the delivery of our son at Baptist Hospital (two blocks away) very early the next morning (we live about 1.5 hours away). Everything was fine during check-in, but as we progressed to our room, I began to get a bad feeling about the place. The hotel has obviously not been renovated in some time, and it shows. When we arrived at our room, it was ok - not great, but nothing too bad. It seemed to need more thorough cleaning as other reviewers have suggested. But as soon as I flipped on the bathroom light, I was greeted by an enormous cockroach. At that moment, I picked up my phone, called the Loews Vanderbilt Plaza up the street, and we left. I will say that the hotel was good enough to refund our charges, but that hardly makes up for being infested with roaches. I suppose that serves me for trying to save money by booking the Hampton Inn. We've now stayed at the Loews on several different occasions, and it is always great. The lovely woman at the Loews check-in desk was even nice enough to discount our room rate when we told her what had happened.

My suggestion: The Hampton Inn at Vanderbilt needs thorough cleaning and remodeling before it will be worth its name or price tag.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MNinTN
Petoskey, Michigan
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We always stay at Hampton Inns and were disappointed with this one in Nashville. We only chose it because it was a short distance (less than 1 mile) to visit some family in the Vanderbilt area. When I checked in the clerk told me I had no reservation, so I had to go back to the car for my confirmation number and when I returned a second clerk found it immediately. One of two elevators were inoperable and a note in the room explained that they were in the process of fixing it, yet we talked to a couple in the lobby who said they had stayed there over a month ago and it was broken then too. The wait was so long on some occasions that we took the stairs.
The rooms are dated and the bathrooms are so small you have no place to open a make-up bag on the sink without fearing it plunging into the toilet. The mattress was sagging and the linens felt like they'd been laundered 10,000 times....threadbare! The NBC channel was fuzzy on the old television set (not too happy about that while trying to watch the end of an exciting NCAA basketball game!!) The breakfast was a typical stuff (bagels, cold cereals, juice/coffee) but the dining area is inadequate for the number of guests.
If they're remodeling it might improve, but I won't stay there again until things are spruced up a bit.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dre51
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Some of the staff were really nice - others were quite rude. Only one of the elevators was working - waited for 10 minutes for an elevator when checking out. Continental Breakfast was weak for a Hampton - I expect better from them. Good location. You can tell that this is an old hotel. Limited parking.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends