“Review of Mason's Restaurant in Loew's”

Loews Vanderbilt Hotel
Ranked #12 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 July 2013

So, about two weeks ago my wife and I were in Florida with some friends and ate at the #1 rated steakhouse in the US - Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. While the service there was fantastic and the food was very good, my meal at Mason's was hands-down, no-contest, much better than at Bern's. From the appetizers; I had the bone marrow which was excellent, my son had their "devil of an egg" which he stated was the best deviled egg he ever had! The bacon jam and mustard caviar was fantastic on the eggs. My wife had the fried green tomato that had crab, peas, feta cheese and a smoked pepper aioli and she ate every last bit - she loved it. The for our meal, my wife had the shrimp and grits which she gets at many restaurants and she thought it was the best she's had. My son had the mason burger with a fried egg on it and truffled french fries along with a side of their grits. He loved everything about the burger and particularly the grits. My meal was their fried chicken galantine with spicy collards on a bed of mashed turnips. If you've never had a galantine, it is a forced meat in this case with chicken, bacon and rosemary. It was absolutely fantastic. The portion sizes were great and allowed us to have the appetizer, meal and desserts without being overly stuffed. Our desserts were also excellent. Definitely worth going back to over and over again - don't miss this place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RGToth

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Check in: Very courteous staff but check in was slow.

Room: Rm 1021. This room is on a concierge floor. You have to use your room key in the elevator to access the floor. Included in your rate is access to the concierge room where there is breakfast, all day snacks & drinks with hor d'ouevres in the evening. The room was clean, tidy and comfortable. There were plenty of outlets and ports for your electronic devices. The room was right off of the elevator but we didn't have any issues with noise.

Concierge suite: 2 floor suite with OK views. Plenty of tables to accomadate maybe 20 people if necessary. BREAKFAST included fresh fruit (nice), well-cooked oatmeal (with dried cranberries, brown sugar & nuts for toppings), pastries, bagels & bread, a very nice scrambled egg bake (egg, cheddar cheese, sausage & potatoe), coffee, teas and juices. EVENING DRINKS included plenty of choices of fruits, cheeses, bread, veggies, basic olives & (suprisingly) a pot roast. My husband loved the pot roast. Wines & beer are included in your room rate but the liquor is an added fee. The concierge, Miguel, was VERY attentive and kind.

Mason's Restaurant: Only ate lunch there but the food was attractive, tasty and well-cooked. It's not the best meal that I've ever had but it's a good option if you want a meal but don't want to leave the hotel. The staff is attentive. My husband had the burger and really enjoyed it, I had the chicken sandwich. It wasn't remarkable but OK for lunch.

Room service: My husband ordered breakfast one morning. It was delivered VERY quickly, neatly presented and hot. Shortly after finishing he called for the tray to be removed and the room service attendant appeared just as quickly & removed everything.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank pbjol
LoewsVanderbiltHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Greetings pbjol,
Thank you for writing a review following your stay at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. Thank you for your comments specifically concerning the Concierge’s Level. Post renovation the Concierge program was revamped and any feedback provided helps us to better understand the guests likes or dislikes so we may continue to make you supremely comfortable. We apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your lunch experience in Mason’s but are happy to hear the serviced you received through our In-Room Dining Team was excellent. Please stay with us again when traveling to Music City.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We have stayed at the Loew's in Nashville several times but many years ago. It has all been totally redone at least in the public areas and is beautiful. It is also in a great location for Vandy parents but also if you are visiting the city and want to be close to downtown but not actually in it. It must offer some good group rates because there were many "wedding" parties there at the time of which our group was one. Our room was really large and was very comfortable!
They do offer Self Park but it is expensive but so worth it as I hate to wait on my car! Would stay here again as long as the rate is not too, too much.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zinniaqueen

Hello zinniaqueen,
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel as one of our group wedding attendees. We are known for having numerous wedding blocks throughout the year as well as the actual weddings being held in our Symphony Ballroom. As always we would love to have you back and sometimes we offer packaged promotions that include a complimentary self-parking perk. All reservation details can be found on our website.

Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for two nights when visiting a friend in Nashville. Having been to a Lowes hotel once before (Pacific Resort at Univeral Orlando) we decided to splurge and upgrade to the club level of the hotel.

Since we upgraded to get it I figure it is best to start with what that entails. The club level consists of the two highest floors of the hotel which require a key card to access via the elevator. In addition to the privacy this access affords you also receive the following benefits: free wireless Internet access (either with your own computer or the one available in the Club Lounge); complementary breakfast, snacks throughout the day, and wine/hous d'oirves in the early evening; a private lounge area to sit and play/work with bay windows overlooking Vanderbilt's campus. The club level was more than worth the cost as you normally would have to pay for the Internet in your room and the free food cuts down on food costs. Plus, it just made our stay tht much nicer - nothing better after 8 hours in the car than checking in and enjoying complementary wine and meat and cheese appetizers to decompress from the trip. We were very well cared for by Miguel Torres who was a friendly and attentive host. One last note is that the Club Level also includes a personal concierge who can help with everything from maps and restaurant recommendations to arranging late check outs.

Look: The hotel looked and felt well cared for with the lobby as quite an attractive and open feature. There was a conference at the hotel while we were there and while this meant 10s or 20s of people were working/greeting at any one time it never felt overcrowded. The hotel lobby certainly gives off a hip vibe but the rooms were very sedate (in a good way) and comfortable.

Service: Now while I could brag more about the club level I think it is best to highlight the fine service I received in the common areas. Checking in was made very easy and I was met by a very friendly staff member who helped us orient ourselves in the hotel. When there was a billing issue/question both staff members I talked to were very helpful and all was resolved quite painlessly. Another moment that stuck out was when my wife and I exited the lobby and stopped to get our bearings a bellhop almost immediately came over to ask how he could help and guided us in the right direction. Lastly, by way of another example I made the mistake of not taking the minibar key at check-in (FYI - you need it to open the fridge while I thought it was something to access a paid part of the in-room fridge; desk attendants might want to make that clearer) I asked the club concierge for help. I ended up having not one but THREE separate staff members arrive at my door to provide a key. I felt bad for the latter two staffers but tht incident, in a nutshell, exemplifies their fine service.

Common areas: I have already talked about the lobby but I cannot comment on the pool, fitness room, or restaurant as I never use them. The bar was very nice with a VERY fine selection of liquors. My only complaint is that when full (as it was with the convention) it was very difficult to hear and the sound bled out into the lobby. Not really much the hotel can do about it, but be aware.

Parking: This is one of the very few cons to this hotel. The parking garage is next to the hotel and is shared by (I believe) a neighboring office building. This means that if you check in around rush hour you will be dealing with a number of exiting cars. The other annoying feature is that there isn't any direct walking route from the parking area to the hotel. This makes parking and then navigating your way to the hotel quite confusing. Best advice is to stop out front and, if possible, drop all your bags with a fellow traveller or bellhop to save ducking through the garage with a lot of luggage. Parking is pricey ($26 for self park $31 valet) but with your card you get in and out privileges.

Overall assessment: Loved the hotel and on that experience alone signed up for their you first program (multiple stays over the course of the year = benefits). I even have been planning an upcoming trip to Atlanta around the chance to stay at another Lowes hotel.

The caveats? You do get what you pay for so expect high prices (sadly realizing this while planning the trip to Atlanta!).

Also as a general matter if you do desire to stay at a Lowes property only a few of the hotels have Club Levels. While I wish this was a common feature it only appears to be available at a few. If you liked the description you can get that at the Lowes Vanderbilt, but it might not be available elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank RobC614

Greetings RobC614,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. We are glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed the features of our exclusive Concierge’s Level. The program has just recently been revamped so feedback is important to maintain the guest’s satisfaction. Please note your comments of our Team and their service elements will be passed on for acknowledgement.
Since Mason Bar opening in May this has proved to be the popular hangout among local and hotel guests. Things can get a bit loud in the public spaces due to the crowd but certainly does not make interruptions to guest in their rooms. We do apologize for the slight inconvenience you encountered with the parking arrangement. The layout of separate elevators for garage and guest corridors is a safety factor to prevent non-hotel guest easy access of roaming the guest corridors. Your suggestion of leaving your items at the entrance with our Valet Team is what we would suggest also. Please come back and visit us when in Nashville again.
P.S. Loews Atlanta is one of our newest members to the Loews Hotels family and a close neighbor to us. #highlyrecommended

Reviewed 18 July 2013

What's great about Loews Vanderbilt is, basically, everything. The staff and service puts this comfortable haven on the A-list; the lobby, bar, guest rooms and concierge lounge set a chill scene for inspired downtime.

As well as being easily accessible to Vanderbilt, Hillsboro Village, Green Hills and West End, Loews' location is an easy trek to downtown and Bridgestone Arena concerts, Predator games and Lower Broad honky tonking. It's also conducive to scooting down to a bunch of Music City standouts: Farmers Market, Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park, the trendy food trucks and more.

So nice to "come home" to Loews Vanderbilt's cheerful staff and cool property. It's a great launchpad for anything you're doing in Nashville--business, sightseeing, sports and music happenings, you name it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Susan N

Hello Susan N,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. Thank you for pointing out the uniqueness of our location. We feel like the hotel is centralized to multiple attractions, restaurants, and entertainment within Music City.
In preparing for our previous renovation we wanted to make sure that our public spaces were inviting and comfortable for all types of travelers. Our Team here at Loews also knows the importance of customer services for each our guests.
Please come home to Loews Vanderbilt again when your in Nashville.
Best Regards

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My daughter and I stayed in a concierge double double for 2 nights last week ($229/per night) and loved this property. The concierge lounge provided complimentary beer/wine and snacks (cheeses, olives, meats and snacks) each evening and a great quick start breakfast. The lounge was open on Saturday and Sunday nights and opened each morning at 7:00am.

I found the room to be standard issue Loews...only drawback was $30 valet parking charge a bit steep.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank suzu1209
LoewsVanderbiltHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Greetings Suzu1209,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. We are glad to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed our Premium Concierge’s level that includes the exclusive Concierge’s Lounge. Another perk of the Concierge’s level includes complimentary internet in all guestrooms including use of a computer in the lounge. Please come back and stay with us while visiting Nashville again.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Whenever I go to Nashville for business, we stay in the Loews. Last year's stay was good, but the hotel has since been remodeled, and it looks awesome. The lobby is completely redone, new restaurants and a great new bar to hang out!! The rooms are comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. The bathrooms are completely remodeled - very modern tiling. The staff is outstanding and helpful. This time, I got upgraded and had a work suite in addition to my room - amazing. Love this hotel, and will stay here again when visiting Nashville.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Neuenburg
LoewsVanderbiltHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Hello Neuenburg,
Thank you for the great review following your most recent visit to the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. Our facility underwent a six month renovation to give Loews Nashville a new face in Mid-Town. We are very excited about our new Mason Bar, in which we love seeing guests networking in every night of the week. We look forward to your return when in Nashville.