“Great hotel, not so great valet parking”

Loews Vanderbilt Hotel
Ranked #10 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Franklin, North Carolina
“Great hotel, not so great valet parking”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The hotel itself is well-appointed, check-in staff were efficient and pleasant. The fitness center has state-of-the-art equipment and convenience measures such as chilled towels, headphones for the equipment TV's and chilled lemon ice water. The only problem there was that I visited the fitness center in the mid-afternoon and mid-evening hours and there were no drinking cups for the ice water on either visit. The center had not been checked to replenish items in-between.

I used the valet parking since, being in a city, that seemed to be the best way to go and very convenient. It was convenient however my car sat outside the hotel, in the way of cars coming in and going to the interior self-parking garage, and in the hot sun until my early afternoon departure. I spoke with two staff members about it who were very pleasant but not concerned. In hindsight, I would have been much better to have paid the lesser self-parking fee and parked in an interior parking area rather than to have had my car sitting out. It's rather hard to believe there were only 3 cars, out of a busy hotel, that used the valet parking. If there were others, where were they parked?

Breakfast at Mason's Restaurant was wonderful. The staff were very accommodating and my made to order omelet was fantastic.

My room was an "upgrade", according to the check-in staff. However, what this meant was that I had a handicapped accessible room with an unusual shower situation and a shower floor that was not clean and was slimy. The room was spacious but table tops could have been cleaned better as I did see some dirty areas on them. The bed was SUPER comfortable and clean!

This is my first hotel review and I only did it because these few things stood out as issues with an otherwise beautiful hotel. I recommend it but also recommend self-parking rather than valet service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
LoewsVanderbiltHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Greetings FranklinPaula,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. We would like to apologize for the few inconveniences you experienced during your stay such as the missing water cups from the fitness center, the valet parking, and the condition of your upgraded guestroom. Please rest assured this information will be passed on to the appropriate Team members. However, it is pleasing to hear that your breakfast in our Mason’s restaurant was wonderful as you say. Please come back and stay at the Loews Vanderbilt if traveling to Nashville. We would love to make things more comfortable for your return visit.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Douglasville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2013

When you want to travel away from home and feel comfortable and safe then Loew's Vanderbilt is the place to be. The hotel is costly but you get what you pay for and much much more. This is a beautiful hotel and I enjoyed my visit there.

Room Tip: Get a top floor the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DAllen123
Hello DAllen123,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable visit and would certainly love to have you back.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel for a quick anniversary getaway and were blown away. The hotel was gorgeous, the room was incredible with great views of the city and the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. It's the perfect distance from downtown, just a quick drive over the interstate. We will definitely be staying at the Loews Vanderbilt for years to come and are already looking forward to our next getaway. I will be recommending the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel to everyone I know staying in Nashville.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel S
LoewsVanderbiltHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Greetings Rachel S,
Thank you for the great comments of your recent visit to the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. Though you were not far from home we love that you and your husband chose to celebrate your wedding anniversary with us! We would most certainly enjoy you staying with us again on another staycation or just a night out on the town.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Spent the weekend here with my wife. Bed was very comfortable although difficult to get the room cool enough. Room was nice. One robe, ice on even floors let you know its a mid level hotel. Hotel restaurant, Mason's, was a pleasant experience. Good area and cajun food. Very good service. Bar was terrific with great featured cocktails and outstanding service. The car service guys were outstanding. Quick, cooperative and friendly.

Room Tip: Get an even floor room if you want easy access to ice.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Allen727286
Hello Allen727286,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. We are excited to hear that you and your wife enjoyed Mason’s and Mason Bar as they are a new addition to our hotel post renovation. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the functionality of your HVac system in your guestroom. We would love to have you visiting again when in Nashville.
Parkland, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Great hotel with beautiful interior. Lobby is stunning with plenty of places to gather comfortably. Be sure to request a higher floor and make sure you are not right by the elevator. Your room will be great with those two requests. There is a parking fee to be aware. The bar is fabulous with very nice drinks. We love to walk and a few times walked to downtown. It is a distance but doable. We also walked to several restaurants that were great. The tavern was amazing and the pancake pantry was worth the wait. Fantastic stay that we really enjoyed.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank lizd3
Greetings lizd3,
Thank you for writing a review cornering your recent visit to the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. These are all great comments of the hotel and its location. Yes, we do have a parking fee of $30.00 for valet and $26.00 for self-parking, but that includes in and out access during your stay. There is limited parking around the hotel so we try to stay within competitive rates. Please come visit us again when traveling to Nashville.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My hubby and I spent a night out at Loews Hotel and had a wonderful time. The hotel's atmosphere was stylish and swank. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a great dining experience at Mason's restaurant inside the hotel. The fried green tomatoes were amazing! We were very pleased with everything.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M J
Hello M J,
Thank you for taking the time to write a quick review of your recent visit to the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. We are glad to hear that it was an enjoyable one and would love to have you back in the near future.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 20 July 2013

So, about two weeks ago my wife and I were in Florida with some friends and ate at the #1 rated steakhouse in the US - Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. While the service there was fantastic and the food was very good, my meal at Mason's was hands-down, no-contest, much better than at Bern's. From the appetizers; I had the bone marrow which was excellent, my son had their "devil of an egg" which he stated was the best deviled egg he ever had! The bacon jam and mustard caviar was fantastic on the eggs. My wife had the fried green tomato that had crab, peas, feta cheese and a smoked pepper aioli and she ate every last bit - she loved it. The for our meal, my wife had the shrimp and grits which she gets at many restaurants and she thought it was the best she's had. My son had the mason burger with a fried egg on it and truffled french fries along with a side of their grits. He loved everything about the burger and particularly the grits. My meal was their fried chicken galantine with spicy collards on a bed of mashed turnips. If you've never had a galantine, it is a forced meat in this case with chicken, bacon and rosemary. It was absolutely fantastic. The portion sizes were great and allowed us to have the appetizer, meal and desserts without being overly stuffed. Our desserts were also excellent. Definitely worth going back to over and over again - don't miss this place!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family