“Giving the Fox another try....”

Fox & Hound Bar and Grill
Ranked #7 of 64 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Great Newport fixture for over 30 years. Known for our slow roasted prime rib and Black Angus Rib Eyes. Love seafood checkout the lobster tails!!!
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Last fall I wrote a review about a less than positive experience at Fox and Hounds and was pleasantly surprised to see that Tim, the owner had responded. Last week, my husband and I made a return trip and found an entirely new atmosphere. We felt welcomed, met some others who were apparently 'regulars' and enjoyed speaking to them. It was a totally fun evening out. We'll definitely keep Fox and Hounds on our short list of places to return to often!

1  Thank Marcey R

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Food had poor taste and was not properly cooked. Salmon was still swimming and the cow was still grazing. Meals were to come with deserts but we were not told they were out until we asked. They said we could order a brownie but they would have to charge us for it. Waitress kept flat drinks filled but hardly spoke to us as she serviced the table.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

If you value all your customers, perhaps you could at least say hello to everyone instead of stopping to talk to a select few. A few nights ago, I was there with friends for a special occasion. You came out from your office, made a point to speak to two couples at the bar while not even speaking to anyone else. It made me and the group I was with feel as though our business wasn't appreciated. Maybe you only speak to regular customers, but having the manager stop and ask if everything is good and even a thank you for stopping in could turn a casual customer into a regular also. Going out to eat in this economy is a treat for me, so I'm going to spend my money where I feel like my business is appreciated not taken for granted. I didn't get that feeling from you on my visit earlier this week. Just a thought....

2  Thank Marcey R
Tim M, Owner at Fox & Hound Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

We appreciate all our customers & I usually make a point to greet everyone I can. Your reminder that having your mind elsewhere maybe taken as a lack of interest, when it's not the case. I will make a more concerted effort to include everyone, I love meeting all the varied people that pass thru our doors, many go out of their way just to visit us. So thanks for reminding me I maybe missing out on an opportunity.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Traveling back to Asheville from a day in the Smokies, my wife and I had a hankering for a decent steak around the Newport exit off I-40. Sunday afternoon around 4:30, we saw their billboard and thought we'ld live large and give it a try. GPS 'd it and pulling in to the parking lot, we both looked at each other with wide eyes wondering if we'd make it out alive. After a brief prayer session we proceeded through the first door where we were then greeted by a second door with a peep hole and buzzer. We immediately had another brief prayer meeting then proceeded to an empty restaraunt with highlights of the afternoons nfl games on the tv. Ok, service was average, food was average to good, prices fair to high. Make sure you order your steaks done to well done if you want them cooked. I ordered medium, and it came out cool and red. We ate them anyway. I don't regret going, 2.50 fat tire pints, it was definitely an experience.

2  Thank Mikehmorrison
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Was staying at fantastic intimate resort in Newport and their 5 star restaurant was closed that night. Asked the owner if he could reccomend a good steak place. He said try the Fox and Hound. We went there and it was pretty ordinary looking and you had to ring the bell at door for entrance. I looked over the menu and decided on prime rib because it was the special of the night and not usually on menu until Thur-Sun. I ordered the 12 ounce cut rare. It was served with a salad and sweet potato fries. Those were good but not special. When the prime rib arrived I was glad to see it was rare just like I like. However, I figure it must have been on menu Tuesday because they didn't want to serve it their usual days because of the unusual amount of fat. The cost was probably at least 6-8 dollars higher than it should have been for the size and when you subtracted the large chunks of fat then you were left with a 5-6 ounce piece of lean meat. The taste was very good. A very forgettable birthday meal, completely at the other end of spectrum from the meal I had my previous birthday dinner in Cuenca, Ecuador! We did have a true 5 Star meal at Christopher's Place Resort the next night!

1  Thank bgreening