“Nice but...”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Newport
China Grove, North Carolina, United States
“Nice but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Pros: Great rate for the quality of the room. We were very comfortable during our stay. Front desk clerk was very polite @check-in and check-out. Close to some good places to eat. The inn was very clean except for the thousand cigarette butts in the back parking lot.

Cons: Cameras everywhere, I'm sure it was for security but still creepy. The inter ring of rooms around the pool area was enclosed which made the noise level high. Kids and adults at the pool from open till close (might have been because of spring break). I booked the room because the inn had a hot tub and enclosed pool but I didn't get to use the hot tub because it was always packed with kids and their parents. Also the water looked green and not blue like the pool. I think if I could have gotten time in the hot tub not sure if I would have gotten in or not, water looked dirty. Had trouble with wi-fi connect so I just used my phone as a hot spot. Also the breakfast room was very cold(it was a cold morning). Coffee service needs an upgrade.

All in all we were very comfortable and the staff were very nice. Great room for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside ring are quieter during the day.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Aynor
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

The room was dirty. Outside there was trash. But the main reason they have bed bugs! They knew it and let us stay there with 3 small children and all their gifts which will probably have to be treated or thrown away. The parent do not have the resources to treat them and will probably get the bed bugs in their home if they don't throw them away. If I were running the place, I would have told them and let them have a choice of whether they would stay or not.

Room Tip: Don't pay for your room first unless you know the hotel to be good. This one looked on line but...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Fort Pierce, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

we decided to give this motel another chance after a bad experience the year before, that was the worst mistake. we stayed in room 139 the sink stopper was stuck shut there were no coffee cups only 1 bath towel and roaches in the room. I wen't to the front desk they offered to move us to another room and made up new keys for the other room after going in the other room and finding it not cleand up we ended up staying in the room we had. the next morning we had to throw away special allergen dog food that roaches got into. when we checked out we asked to speak to the manager again after not hearing from her the night before and again she was not available. I told the desk clerk they had my phone# to call me concerning my bad experience needless to say I haven't heard from her. I have photos of the sink and the roaches. Terry V.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Stayed there 10/4/12....for $40 something dollars. I travel quite often & stay in all brands of hotels. I have paid $60 - $70 - $80 per night for much, much worse. Staff was extremely friendly, room was spotless, a/c worked great, internet service worked fine......didn't use indoor pool, but it appeared to be exceptionally well maintained. Honestly, the absolute best hotel for anywhere under $100/night.......it's like a mini Opryland Hotel. If ever travelling I-40 through East TN, I'd drive an extra 25 miles or so to stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Cumming, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed overnight on our way to Ohio. I pretty much second everything motorcity70 says. Great price, clean room, very pleasant staff, not a great breakfast and as always pet-friendly. The breakfast was enough to get us on our way, but we hungry by lunch. If I had a need to stay longer this would have been a good choice. Did not use the pool, but the area did seem did appear clean and well-maintained.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Warren, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I had a much better experience than many of those who recently reviewed this property. I obtained a $42/night rate and thought this hotel to be an exceptional value. Our room was clean with newer linens and decent furniture. The pool area in an interior atrium was very nice and just the right temperature. The breakfast offered did leave a bit to be desired. While it did offer make your own waffles, two cereal selections, a pastry choice, juice/coffee and bread for toasting, we opted for the Waffle House next door, but enough food and variety is offered to get you going and for the rate it was wonderful this was included.

In all we had a nice stay. That's not to say this property is perfect, but it offers a decent room with some nice amenties on the property and a location close enough to enjoy Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg at a fraction of what you'd pay there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank motorcity70
davidgibsonrri0746, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. This allows us to know that the processes we have implemented to correct past issues are working. Visit with us again and be sure to let any of our friendly and courteous staff know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable. Thank you for your patronage!
Chapin, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because of the amenities offered--free wi-fi and an indoor pool. It was just a one-night stay and we thought we could rest a little and enjoy the pool. In fact, we had stayed at this hotel many years ago when it was a Holiday Inn.

But we did not enjoy our stay at all. We got a poolside room which would usually be considered prime location, but the room itself was extremely unpleasant. The carpet was worn and stained. The furniture was old and scratched. It took a long time for the water in the sink to get warm and when it did rusty water came out of the pipes. The staff here were not friendly either.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless this hotel has a renovation.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. You noted that a renovation was needed and one has been completed. Stop by when you are in town again and look around. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with what you find. Thanks!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Comfort Inn Newport
Quality Inn Interstate
Hampton Inn Dandridge
Hampton Inn Dandridge
#1 of 8 in Dandridge

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!