“Big mistake”

Big Ed's Pizza
Ranked #2 of 98 Restaurants in Oak Ridge
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ohio
“Big mistake”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I chose this because it seems to be the only non-chain pizza in Oak Ridge. Chain pizza would definitely have been better.
Pro's - the sauce is fairly tasty. Cons - Greasy. Crust was not cooked through, underdone on top. Skimpy toppings. Greasy. Gummy cheese. Did I mention greasy? Terrible service, I had to flag down my 'server' TWICE to get her to take my order. Cheap plastic fork for the only utensil. 6" paper saucers for 'plates'. Worst of all - way too expensive.
I am moving to Oak Ridge permanently in the near future - but I will not be back here.

• Visited July 2014

Connecticut
“Oak Ridge Tradition”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A visit to Oak Ridge always includes a visit to Big Ed's. Very casual...don't expect anything fancy. Paper plates, cups and plastic utensils. Decent pizza .... many kinds to choose from. Thin crust...decent taste. I've had better and I've had worse. But it's a fun place and my family wouldn't dream of visiting Oak Ridge without a trip to Big Ed's!

• Visited March 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“It's a hole in the wall, but it's FANTASTIC!!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been coming to this place for 37 years, it never changes it is always the same and it is
FANTASTIC. Very casual, red checked table cloths, little paper plates and plastic forks. The pizza is really good, try "THE SPECIAL" it's the best. Just 3 weeks ago they started taking credit cards and debit cards. It takes a little time to get your pizza but it is worth the wait. Our server was very pleasant and checked backed every few minutes. Love this place!!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kelsey4747
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“It is what it is... don't believe the hype”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Like Popeye, Big Ed was a near-mythic character- rough on the outside with a big heart. Sad to say the namesake and his son have both passed on and the pizza place has been living off of nostalgia for too long. The pizza is what passes for typical small town pizza, except at the price that make me feel as if I have been taken advantage of.
I ate my first pizza as a seven year-old here and insisted on returning more than fourty years later. I have worked in mom and pop, hand-tossed pizza joints for more than ten years coast to coast, throughout the eighties and into the nineties. It was a life lesson to realize how far pizza has come since then. Except here.
With great reluctance, I had to admit to myself the pizza sucked. Bland dough, canned mushrooms, stingy toppings of sausage and cheese and sauce that needed more of anything like garlic,basil,oregano, or olive oil. Seriously with multiple x-country trips and always willing to try the place the locals go, this was almost the worst and it only missed that because the other place (in Alaska) charged even more for less. Hopefully, somebody will honestly want to make an effort and offer the loyal customers better food at a better price. And hopefully it will be whoever ends up running this place. I hope it won't be another thirty years before I can say I enjoyed the food here.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank G F
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“This place is a part of Oak Ridge history.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Having grown up in Oak Ridge my taste buds were trained from early age to consider Big Ed's pizza the best.

I have eaten pizza all over the country and in a handful of other countries, but none came close to the taste of Big Ed's.

• Visited January 2014