“WOW! What a great stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Church House Bed & Breakfast

The Old Church House Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oakland
The Old Church House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Oakland B&B and Inns
Chicago
“WOW! What a great stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

My husband and celebrated our anniversary here. I do all the reservations for everything, and when my husband walked up to the place he was was wondering what did I get him into this time. However, we were both so amazed at the tall ceilings, great decor, and friendliness of the owners. It was such a unique experience and I have never had one like it. It was once a church but the transformation of the rooms is the secret to this bed and breakfast. You can tell alot of thought and consideration went into the decor. We stayed in the biggest room and it was so nice. I just remember walking in the room and saying "WOW!" I would definitely go back..and you should go too....

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

The stay was only a one night get-away, but it was outstanding. Though pretty, the outside looks like an ordinary brick church except for the sign in the yard that explains it is a B&B. The inside is the treat. We stayed in the Charity Room. It is decorated in black & white, very tastefully done - it reminded me of pages from the Ballard Designs catalog (very nice quality linens, too). The most special thing about it was the stained glass windows that are original to the time when it was a church. They soar to the tall ceiling and are just beautiful! (There are shades which you can pull if you do not want to wake up to a bright kaleidoscope of color on a sunny morning.) The wood floors are original as well. History and character abound. The bathroom is anything but antique in its furnishing though. A wonderful garden tub calls out to you for a bubble bath, and the thoughtful hosts have bubble gel stationed right there for you. (This room is even handicap accessible with a LARGE separate shower.) We got a tour of the other two guest rooms, they were nice as well. You should see the website for details & photos.
The hosts are amazing! Louise welcomed us as if we'd been there 1000 times. She cooked a delightful and FILLING breakfast and was happy to have it at the time we wanted.
An amenity that I found top notch is that both James and Louise are licensed & certified massage therapists. After breakfast, she had an opening and since they have the clinic in the same building, all I had to do was walk down the center hall, which used to be the center isle of the church, and go into her massage room. It boasts the same gorgeous windows as the guest rooms do. She is extremely passionate about helping people and it shows! She experienced the benefits of specialized massage after two car accidents & she has studied to make herself an expert in helping others. After the relaxing time on her table, I practically floated back down the hall to our room. (As a guest, you do get a discount on massage pricing.)
She is also very knowledgeable about the Memphis area.
This place is in Oakland, but it is really not far at all from Memphis. The Wolfchase Galleria shopping area and Bartlett are just a few minutes drive away. Yet it is far enough that it feels much safer than I have felt staying in Memphis city limits before.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank GraceTN

Been to The Old Church House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!