“Inn on the River”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
“Inn on the River”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The Inn was attractive and clean, the breakfast was taste and most of the employees were friendly. The price was a little high, but considering it was Spring Break I understood the pricing. Coffee was always available and a nice setting area with fireplaces made a comforting social environment.

This is my peeve, but a hotel rule. I must say I do not like rules and prefer guidelines for employees. Common sense should prevail. We arrived at 1 p.m. and was told our room was not ready and to check back at 3:00 p.m. I paid the clerk and went to my friends room next to the one I was to occupy. I observed the cleaning crew and knew they were done with our room by 2:00 pm. We went back to the lobby and socialized for a few minutes and around 2:30 I ask the clerk if my room was ready and she told me again it would not be ready until 3:00 p.m. which was a lie or lack of communications. Perhaps she was instructed to follow this rule, regardless of the reason I am letting anyone reading this know how I feel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
R_Urban37863, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On The River, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate your comments and have addressed your concerns with our staff. We do guarantee check-in at 3:00 pm, but would gladly allow check-in earlier if available. We strive to offer excellent services to all of our guests.

We do have processes that we need to follow to ensure all rooms are kept to the same standards. For example after a room has been cleaned, it is inspected by the manager to make sure nothing has been missed and everything is in place. All 128 rooms are thoroughly inspected every day.

I hope you understand this was not simply a rule that we follow, but a process to allow for the best service and products for our guests.

Rebecka Urban
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Arabic first
Skyline
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

This is our first stay at Inn on The River. We chose it because of the rating on Trip Advisor. We normally stay at franchise hotels so this was a nice surprise. The room was very spacious and clean. The hotel was very well kept and all of the staff was very friendly. My kids enjoyed the pool and we all enjoyed the breakfast area complete with fireplace. I wish I would have gotten the lady's name in charge of the breakfast area. She was very friendly and she did a wonderful job maintaining the breakfast bar. The breakfast was delicious. I enjoyed waffles with strawberries and whip cream. There was a nice selection of other breakfast foods. My only concern was the hot tub. It looked like it could use a good do-over. I recommend if you come to stay on the river side. It cost a little more but it is a beautiful view. We chose to save some money and stay on opposite side. If you take this route stay on 4th floor, there is a great view overlooking parkway. We will make a return visit.

Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is definitely 'on the river' but there is a road on top of it that completely drowns out any peaceful river sounds. Check-in was smooth and the desk clerk pleasant. They had the Trip Advisor rating blown up on top of the desk with the #4 marked out and #3 written in. They are anxious to get the #1 rating and they freely tell you that. I have stayed at the Inn at Christmas Place (ranked #1 at the time--now #2) and I wonder how this hotel is #4 or 3. The room was clean, not overly spacious, and had a not-overpowering but odd smell. The beds are hard and not as comfortable as the 'cloud nine'. We had a room with a balcony over the river but the road noise was just too loud to be able to enjoy. The indoor pool and hot tub were overrun with unsupervised kids and the pool smell permeates the elevator and areas surrounding it. There is also a large yellow 'Caution' sign hanging over the railing in the elevator for all the puddles. Long hallways with kids running up and down them. When I went to check out, A.J. asked if he could help me and I said I was checking out. He asked if I wanted a receipt--What? Seriously? Did not even ask how my stay was. That's a first--and they rank #4? Did not do breakfast--overcrowded and too many kids still running around.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Loves2TravelX2
innontheriver, General Manager at The Inn On The River, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our goal to provide all of our guests with superior accommodations and services. From your review we did meet your expectations. I have shared your review with our staff to ensure we address all of your concerns.
We are very proud to be a top-ranking hotel on TripAdvisor.com as this is a very good indicator of what our guests think of us. We do strive to be at the very top and this keeps us on our toes and in a guest service mindset. Many of our guests rave about the view from their riverside rooms and how relaxing our balconies and patios are, as well as the comfort of our beds which were purchased from Sealy as Cloud Nine beds. Although these are all personal preferences.
I understand how overwhelming it can be when visiting during our busiest times, especially during spring break. We offer an ideal location and accommodations for families, as you probably noticed during your stay with us; we do of course encourage that children are supervised. We offer a heated indoor pool well as a heated outdoor pool on the river, and these are very popular amenities at our hotel. Many families choose to spend at large part of their stay at the pools.
I do apologize for the level of service at checkout. We try to ask all of our guests about their stay and even ask for recommendations for future visits. It is unusual for Guest Service Agent AJ not ask any guest about their stay but we will strive to do better.
Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss your stay and see if I could resolve your issues so I can better accommodate you on your next visit to Pigeon Forge.
Karl Thomas
865-257-7775 or karl@myinnontheriver.com
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We checked in to a deluxe riverside view room and our kids loved the balcony overlooking the river. The front desk ladies were very helpful in suggesting a restaurant that would fit our family. We walked around and then came back to the hotel so the kids could swim at the indoor pool. The free popcorn at night was a nice touch. The complimentary breakfast was good and had plenty of variety.

• Stayed March 2014
R_Urban37863, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On The River, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel! We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon!
Greensburg, Indiana
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The rooms are clean and modern. The breakfast is good and has a variety of choices. The location is centrally located and easily assesible. The staff and the patrons are friendly. The atmospher in the lobby is well maintained and cozy. Having popcorn each evening is delightful.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for a wonderful review of The Inn On The River! We hope to see you again very soon!
New Caney, Texas
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is a great place to stay for the entire family. Breakfast was amazing every day and available until 10:00 am! This is the first hotel I've ever stayed where the entire staff was courteous and very willing to accommodate your every need. The family friendly atmosphere made you feel at home. Will surely stay here again when visiting the area.

Room Tip: Balcony view over river is awesome.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are looking forward to your next trip to Pigeon Forge!
Louisville, Ky
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here March 7-9th. Decided on a last minute getaway to Pigeon Forge and used hotwire to get this room after a friend did it and was excited to get the #5 hotel on trip advisor. Check in was smooth, was put in room 213. This room was not clean at all. There was blood on wall in bathroom, dust around baseboards, a leftover sunflower seed on carpet, handprints on window. I took pics and will attach. I am not one to complain, actually I have never complained at a hotel. After dinner I decided I just couldnt stay in that room, so went down to front desk and explained the situation and told her I had pics if she wanted to see them. She said no I trust you, I will upgrade you. Ok so thats good just was a little shocked that she didnt seem surprised or want to even check out what we were saying. Get moved to room 200, it was definitely much cleaner and had a balcony. We did try the breakfast and it was decent, we were never able to use the pool/hot tub cause it was always full of unruly kids. In the new room I opened the drawer in the night stand and it had a wad of hair in it and a huge stain, there was also some dirt on front of refrigator. We just made a joke out of this cause every time we came into our room it literally took about 5-7 times of us putting the key card in door for it to work. The light would turn green but it wouldnt open. This could be a super nice place if they up their standard of cleaning. Stayed at The Clarion in November, which is rated#1 and there is absoutely no comparsion to this #5 rated hotel. Was very disappointed.

4 Thank JackiJo
innontheriver, General Manager at The Inn On The River, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The Inn On The River. I take
your concerns seriously and have looked into each of your issues. First, I talked
with the guest services clerk and then inspected both rooms you occupied. All
your concerns have been addressed. Housekeeping is the life blood of a
hotel and I am pleased we have a new highly qualified executive housekeeper
starting April 7, 2014. Please if you wish, contact me on my cell 865-257-7775
or email me at karl@myinnontheriver.com

Karl Thomas