“Renters BEWARE! Our 1st WORST cabin rental in 15yrs!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smoky Mountain Lodging

Smoky Mountain Lodging
Jacksonville, Florida
“Renters BEWARE! Our 1st WORST cabin rental in 15yrs!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband booked our cabin rental (BLACK BEAR) for our family plus another family joining us for vacation this year (4 Adults + 2 Teens & 2 kids. Upon our stay, the cabin wasnt very clean. The kitchen wasnt adeqately stocked. NO ice machine in freezer part of the refridge, looked like it had purposely been "ripped out". The utensils in kitchen drawers were NOT properly cleaned.
It didnt have pot holders needed for using the oven, lighter for grill, dishwashing agent, or enough trash bags for a WEEK's worth (small inconveniences but never the less, we opted to purchase them). The kitchen sink had a couple dead baby roaches discovered daily, EVEN though nothing left in the sink at anytime! The KITCHEN light stopped working CORRECTLY (no overhead lighting) & NO dail-tone phone service in cabin at all. We called 2xs on those matters alone during the week & NEVER fixed. You MUST call to have trash picked up apparently since its not listed on their misspelled paperwork.
We had live WASPs in the main floor bedroom & adjacent bathroom. The MAIN floor master bedroom & bathroom daily had a couple dead baby roaches IN the tub. The bottom floor FROZE when turning temperature down to 73 while main floor was decent, top floor remained uncomfortable. We brought fans for 'quite noise' so luckily that wasn't too much of a hassle. The linens also "smelled".
The grill's ignitor half the burners didnt work (hince purchasing a lighter to make due). We called the customer service no# 3xs DURING our 1week stay only to be told a 'work order' would be written but never given a 'courteous' time frame or real concern to fix. Never asked one time during phone calls how our stay. Just unprofessional, unconcerned rental company. We will NOT USE or recommend this cabin rental company again. I'll be booking the cabins from now on!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mountain_Lovers_1996
GSMTN2014, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
I would like to apologize that your stay was less than perfect. We do apologize that on the ice maker, it appeared to have been "ripped out", this part is on order. On rare occasions, there may be some mechanical failures beyond our control and inspections may not detect all housekeeping concerns. We do make every attempt to correct these problems. I do apologize that your issues were not corrected during your stay. I am aware that the pot holders were quickly delivered during your stay. We do strive to give all guests the most memorable vacation possible. Smoky Mountain Lodging is eager to regain your confidence and hope you will visit with us in the future. Please call us with concerns and see if we can come to a resolution.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Gastonia, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

The cabin that we rented was absolutely the perfect for our needs. Loved the front porch swing in the early morning and the hot tub for late evenings after dinner. We were, however, looking forward to a couple of days at the pool (resort pool). That was not to happen, as we were told, a part for the pool was broken, if it was repaired before we left-they would let us know. As, we drove by the pool, it did not appear that it had even been opened for the season. It would have been nice if Smoky Mtn. Lodging would have notified any guests of the pool situation-as it was over 96 degrees several days and humid. It didn't ruin our trip, we still totally enjoyed the area!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GSMTN2014, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay! We do regret that you were not able to use the pool. We have been in communication with the resort in regards to their efforts in getting the equipment repaired and the pool back in operation. We do apologize for this inconvenience. We hope that you will consider staying with Smoky Mountain Lodging again while visiting our area!
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Smoky Mountain Lodging was a great place to stay! The office staff was great also! The location of the cabin was beautiful. You could see Dollywoods fireworks from where we were. The cabin was clean/beautiful on the inside. We will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It means a lot to us that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will continue to use Smoky Mountain Lodging while visiting our area!
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

WORSE CABIN STAY AND RENTAL COMPANY EVER DO NOT STAY WITH SMOKY MOUNTAIN LODGING!!! We just returned from staying with smoky mountain lodging and I have to say our families have been staying down pigeon forge for the past 6 years and have NEVER had a bad experience until this year! We book well in advance to make our reservations we always check many cabins and reviews. We found the perfect cabin " A GRAND VIEW" that accommodated both families and had great amenities for both the kids and the adults we had a group of 9 with us 3 adults and 6 teenagers... we have had as many of 18 at one time. It is very upsetting to know that you save all year for this perfect vacation and takes only one day and rental company to ruin your entire week! I will Try to keep this short but there was so much wrong with these cabins. we booked "A GRAND VIEW' it was a beautiful cabin and expensive for a 7 day stay... but it had what we were looking for.. shade trees, covered porches lined with rockers, theater rm, flat yard for passing ball, fire pit for kids....etc. Day 1 ck in and go to cabin it out looks great! We had dinner and a movie night in the upstairs theater rm seen nothing. Day 2 left out very early day in the mountains came back late that evening when we went into the kitchen to put on a pot a coffee and a ROACH came running across the counter!! As it brought attention to us we started seeing them all over the counter, appliances, cupboards, and in the kitchen outlets.. I called the office spoke to the answering service I left message with them about the issue. That night we could not sleep we took pictures and trapped the roaches with plastic cups, and placed them in a 2.5 gal zip lock bag. We then sprayed the roach spray that they had conveniently under the sink in the cracks of the log that ran behind the sink they were falling out of the woodwork.. Next morning Day 3 of 7 we contacted the office once again because they had not called us back. My husband spoke with Sarah and she pulled up the records of calls from the answering service. Sarah said I see here you saw a roach? my husband... "No not a roach" many of roaches they are in the outlets and falling out of the woodwork of the kitchen wall... "Sarah"... I'm sorry to hear that sir we have been treating it and thought that it was taken care of, the cleaning girl didn't report seeing anything???? my "HUSBAND" are you kidding me they have been already treating it???? You should have told us this before we took it. We just made final payment 2 wks prior we should have been informed of this! So, at this point we are furious for them not telling us or giving us the option to choose another place available. So here we are DAY 3 Monday hottest day of the coming week kids are on their way to splash country as tickets were purchased in advance! Me, my husband and mother decide to stop by the office and take them the 2.5 gallon zip lock bag we had filled with cups of roaches and their babies.. I placed them on the counter and tell them we spoke this morning and this is what we’re dealing with.. now listen we have 6 kids with us, we can’t even cook them breakfast or make a pot of coffee we are infested up there and this is not acceptable!! ! We had to throw away our boxed and bagged food, fruit, bread, paper products, anything a roach could of gotten into even my iron! so our food budget was already out the window on day 3 because now we have to start over. So....after complaining we were finally offered to move... Sarah relayed to the front desk to put us in
“A KINGS LODGE.” Which we had no info on and we found out that in no way was it in any comparison of the one we originally chose. I said we will do the move rather than be with roaches. So.. the Kids had to detour back from splash country to our cabin to pack up and move to the other. So we lost a full day because of all day stress and it took 4.5 hrs to take everything outside and shake it out and pack up the 3 cars once again! So we get to the new cabin named "A Kings Lodge" we, get in and first thing I wanted to do is wash dirty clothes that were piled on the floor of the other cabin.. so I washed them then discovered the dryer did not work.... then we noticed that it was still 89 degrees in the cabin and the AC did not work... my husband called office they sent maintenance guy which couldn't fix the dryer they had to have someone else next day. After being fixed it was a loud chirping dryer. They didn't send the appliance guy for the AC till the next day which couldn't fix it before a part was ordered so day 4 was when the AC got fixed. The cabin was not fit for a king... that's for sure!!! It was filthy dirty, bugs in the windowsills, on the floors in the corners of floors, all the lights. kitchen cabinets had buildup dust and dirt the stove was disgusting!! the kitchen was not equipped we didn't have a usable can opener, no cutting board, 1 knife, no steak knives, only 1 dish rag and 2 towels, 6 coffee mugs, but yet it accommodates 12 ? 1 lg pot, 1 of the largest skillets was filthy and chipping particles thank goodness I take a cast iron skillet everywhere we go as theirs you could not nor would you want to use! This cabin did not have any of the amenities that we look for in our cabins. we had 3 porches 1 was covered it was about 3 ft wide 2 rockers??? And this accommodates 12?? the other 2 decks had no covers so if the sun was beating you were toasted and bothered by all the carpenter bees! when it rained we couldn't be out because the 3ft front porch got soaked in which we had rain for 3 days. So, Tuesday we decided to use the gas grill on back deck mid- way thru our cooking storm was brewing my husband was in the pouring rain finishing our dinner because we had no roof!!! needless to say we could only used it 1 time because it ran out of propane .You are in the meadow which had beautiful views not 1 tree for shade the complete opposite of what we ever rent! The stain was all over the window frames and glass of doors. So I decided to join my Mother in the hot tub on the back deck I had to set scrunched down on my feet because the deck is collapsing on 1 side from lack of upkeep so the hot tub was over my head setting!!! And I'm 5'7". So after an unpleasant evening dip in the hot tub I went to our king master just to discover that the bed was like lying on concrete ! My husband had to lift the corner of the mattress up to see if it bent or if it was another box spring!! it was horrible.. Our room had carpet that smelled like it was just fumigated. There was also another king bed that was very similar to ours, we also had to remove the sham cases from the pillows as they stunk very badly. The bathrooms had just very basic linen for showers not enough for the entire family. The cabin has been neglected that's obvious its dirty, although no roaches were found here it was very unpleasant, not cozy nor decorated it was very basic. So they act like they did us a favor and upgraded us to a better cabin which in fact it was from having roaches!! But on the scale I would never pay the price we did to stay in this un-kept , outdated dirty cabin with no amenities in a wide open meadow! To sum it all up we had to leave a cabin that WE PAID FOR AND CHOSE for our family Vacation because YOU neglected to take care of a Roach problem the correct way because of greed needing to rent it out EVERYDAY god forbid you leave it empty a few days and take care of the problem correctly!!! SO, we ended up in a cabin with no roaches thank god! And the kids and my mother lost a paid day at the park, we lost nights of sleep, food we had to throw away from the roaches, and money for dinners we had to spend eating out because of lack of stocked essentials from the kitchen and they had nothing for our family to do at this LODGE... it was horrible we hated everything about it!. You people did us no favor. The way We see it you Ruined our vacation from the moment we arrived! And I hope in due time Karma will do the same for your family who you think works so hard at their customer service for your cabin owners and their renters!!!! Well I hope that one day the way you conduct your business that you will lose out just like many of families and cabin owners have and will continue to have happen dealing with you. Maybe with poor ratings you will end up selling out just like black bear lodging did!. AND YOU AUGHT TO NOT BLAME YOUR CABIN OWNERS FOR YOUR NEGLIGENCE!! THEY PAY YOU FOR THE UP KEEP OF THEIR HOMES TO RENT!! SO ... FOR THE OLDER LADY WHO TRIED TO PUT BLAME ON THE CABIN OWNER OF " A GRAND VIEW' FOR THE ROACHES ABOUT HER HAVING CANCER AND HER SON TAKING OVER IT AND HER NOT BEING ABLE TO BE UP THERE AND CHECK THINGS OVER..... I DON'T THINK THAT’S THE PROBLEM I THINK THATS WHY SHE PAYS YOU TO OVERSEE THE CABIN AND TAKE CARE OF MAINTENANCE/ PEST CONTROLL ON A REGULAR BASIS. AS FOR THE MANAGER SARAH WHO NEVER HAD THE COMMON COURTISY TO COME OUT AND DEAL WITH THE ISSUE PERSONALY WE SEE THIS AS VERY UNPROFFESIONAL. AND WE QUICKLY RELIZED THAT THIS OBVIOUSLY MUST BE JUST ANOTHER DAY AT THE SMOKY MOUNTAIN LODGING, LLC. OFFICE DAY FOR THEM! We came home just this Saturday it is now Monday and our belongings are still in the vehicle in fear that we brought a roach home.... Our nightmare is still not over! Thank you Smokey Mountain Lodging for your uncompassionate inconveniences, and selfishly making our Tennessee Smoky Mountain vacation memories!.

Sherry and David

Sleep Quality
7 Thank Fields15401
GSMTN2014, General Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Once again I greatly apologize about the entire situation. I have rapidly worked to fully address the entire situation. Per our conversation yesterday, I went ahead and refunded you two nights of your stay as well as included two free nights available for you on your next trip. If we could assist you with any future travel plans please feel free to give us a call. If there is anything else I could help you with concerning this trip please feel free to give me a call as well. Thanks Justin Harris, General Manager
Crayne, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Smoky Mountain Lodging is a wonderful rental place. We stayed in Cowboy's Delight. It is a wonderful cabin! Other cabins were close but not as close as some rentals we've stayed in in the past. We've stayed in a different cabin every year and haven't found anything wrong with any of them. Each cabin has their own unique style, which makes us want to come back each year. The staff has always been so friendly and helpful, because we had to make changes this year due to our 5 yr old granddaughter accompanying us, and they made sure we got what we wanted. Cowboy's Delight was a delight, our granddaughter was so excited about the cabin and all the attractions we got to do this time. She loved going over the mountain and riding the train in Bryson, she couldn't get enough. She thought Feeding the Goats on the roof was totally awesome, along with all the rides she rode, she couldn't get enough. WE will definitely be back next year to this cabin or another we have our eyes set on! We absolutely love coming to the Smoky Mountains, it's such a relaxing and close place to go from our house! Thank you Smoky Mt. Lodging!!

Room Tip: Private and semi private cabins are more relaxing for couples, but others are great with kids!
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GSMTN2014, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of your current stay and previous stays with our company. We do our very best in taking care of our guests. It pleases us to know that you feel that we consistently provide excellent lodging! That means a lot to us! Once again, thank you very much for your review and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to our area!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My family and I chose to stay her for the weekend of the 4th..boy were we disappointed!! Not only were we out in the middle of nowhere on the top of a mountain but the road to the cabin was horrible! The cabin from the pictures was very nice and homey. Well the real cabin was homey alright. It had been someone's home. It had a very funny smell and was not very nice. It was an older cabin, the hot tub did not even have a step to get in, it was just a horrible experience! I will never book with them again!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kenis H
We would like to apologize that you feel the cabin you stayed in was not what you were expecting. When booking a cabin, please specify your desired location, therefore, we can suggest properties that are not as isolated. Road conditions are not controlled by our company. These are mountain roads and some roads are not always as easily accessible as other roads. Anytime that you are not happy, we urge you to please notify our office so that we can take the necessary steps in making your stay more accommodating. Once again, we greatly apologize the inconvenience and hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Overall I would rate this cabin as 3.5 stars

PROS: Location is very close to Pigeon Forge. Can see fireworks over the mountains from DollyWood during our stay. The Game room is very cool for kids.

CONS: WARNING: THIS CABIN IS CURRENTLY LISTED "FOR SALE" and we were not told about it. After 2 sets of people came to the cabin taking pictures and trying to peek in windows, I looked it up on Zillow and saw it was listed for sale. Would have been nice to know, did not feel private or safe. Also, this cabin is listed as 2 bedrooms, but really its 1 bedroom with a loft. The main bedroom is the loft with the jacuzzi, so dont expect any privacy... Also, the "Master" bath is smaller than the closet. The toilet is 1 foot in front of the sink, so you basically have to sit on the toilet to brush your teeth.

Overall the cabin was fine for the price, but would have been nice to know it wasnt really 2 bedrooms because we would have choose a different cabin with more privacy & we did not like the fact that we were not told it was listed for sale because we had unwanted visitors coming to the house.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GSMTN2014, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
We apologize for the inconvenience of having people approach the cabin. There are many properties that are listed for sale in our area. Real Estate agents are asked to call our office regarding the showing of the properties. They do understand that when we notify them that guests are occupying the property, that they are not to interrupt the stay of our guests in any way. We greatly apologize for this. The next time you book a property with us, please specify you would like 2 enclosed bedrooms. Once again, we greatly apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered during your stay.