“Memory Maker is not a "cabin"; it is an old house!”

Smoky Mountain Lodging
waynesboro, ms
“Memory Maker is not a "cabin"; it is an old house!”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We went to the Smokies for Thanksgiving with extended family. We rented 2 cabins after talking with one of the reps from the company. When we got checked in and went to our cabins, one was no more than a house that had been slightly remodeled on the inside within a community (sitting between a fire station and an older small house). It definitely was not a cabin and also was not in the mountains! If you are looking for a get-a-way to the mountains, this is not it!! Management was not concerned about our disatisfaction at all. They had even recommended this "cabin" when we were talking with them on the telephone prior to reservations. Do not rent. It is a waste of money. Get a hotel!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank tanyamills23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We've used Black Bear Lodging 2 times now and can say that they are the nicest people and have very clean chalets. Both times we've had an awesome time staying with them. Everything about our cabin was just what we asked for and needed. We traveled with 6 adults and 2 dogs and had plenty of room. We came in the snow and didn't want to be snowed in so they set us up in a chalet that was private but close to the main road. We didn't get stuck at all and was able to get out and enjoy our time in the Smokies. Thanks Black Bear Lodging. I'm sure we'll use you again.

• Stayed January 2011
Carpentersville, Illinois
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Me and my husband stayed at Bear Hugs Cabin. We loved the cabin, it was clean and felt like home. It was walking distance to the pool which was very nice and always empty.
It had a great view and it was way better than we expected. And although there was a cabin to the left of ours, we felt we had complete privacy and felt we were the only ones in the area. We would definitely visit this cabin again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Saltlife14
Kantner, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2010

my family visited ppp the first week of aug 2010 . upon arriving we were not happy. the driveway did not have ample parking space for a five bedroom cabin. there were weeds growing everywhere ,including ink berries which are poisioness. we had a 3 and 4 year old children with us,but not to worry there is no yard to play in.once inside the cabin you could tell it wasn't clean ,they were cobwebs on the greenery above the cupboards in the kitchen,cherrios under the sofa in the livingroom,and best of all when i went to use the shower off my bedroom the knob fell off into my hand. tell me how do you clean a bathroom between guests without water? makes ya wonder about the linens doesn't. there is one corded phone for the 3 story house and no cell phone service ,which is not their fault ,but would be nice to know. for what you pay a few more land lines would be nice. the picnic table was green with algae and the decks were very slippery when wet where the roof didn't cover the deck. i left a note on the table when we left and was wondering if the right people ever got to see it.my advice to the owner and black bear lodging is this,owner check on your cleaning people ,your getting ripped off and a bad reputation. black bear lodging check on the cabins you're renting and make sure their up to your standards,which is better than we experienced i hope.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank badrooster
Burkettsville, Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2010

When I booked with Black Bear Lodging part of the reason was the access to a pool. My 3 girls love to swim so I definitely saw this as an added value and I did think that they were the perfect choice for our Family Trip. Well, I was wrong. When we checked in on Sunday, I thought that we had everything that we needed. The lady was quick, but seem efficient so I didn't think much of it. We got checked in and enjoyed the area, however on Tuesday, I called prior to going to the pool to make sure of what the proper procedures were and get more detailed directions. First thing that she brings up is a pool pass...which we never recieved. Oh wait, it is sitting in their office (20 minutes away)... Do I want to pick it up? When I asked why it was not given to me. The lady responsed that it wasn't her fault..she didn't check us in. So she instructed us to go to the pool and if we have any problems to have them call their office. While the reception at the pool said that they have been having problems all season with Black Bear Lodging and that she couldn't let us in. So I called back to Black Bear Lodging to see what they could do for us. All the lady said this time was that the owner was gone for the day & there was nothing she could do. That was completely unacceptable. I did leave a message for Billy, which no big surprise..he never returned. So I would proceed with caution when reserving with Black Bear Lodging....price, cabin, location were wonderful, but their SERVICE AND CONSISTENCY leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Green45310
Pelahatchie, Mississippi
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I was there from June 20 til 24th with my best friend and her family. We enjoyed our cabin very much. The cabin was very clean, kitchen well stocked. No one complained about anything. I slept in the loft on the twin bed and it was very comfortable. I don't play pool but the one's who did said there was not enough room. A great hotwater heater, there were 5 of us taking showers and we never ran out of water. My friend and her husband are talking about going back in October and they will be staying at Black Bear Lodging again. We all enjoyed our stay, This was the first time we stayed at Blackbear and now we won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joan5566
Greenville
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We rented our cabin Mountain Serenity from black bear lodge on May 23 through the 28th on Monday we had to call in and let them know there is no water pressure they did send some one out and he changed the water filter but were told that there was nothing else you could do about the water pressure because it was well water. On Tuesday we had to call because the hot tub in the upstairs bedroom leaked into the down stairs bathroom. No one showed up to fix it. Called again on Wednesday and they called us back to say they had a work order but that they knew it was the overflow valve that was leaking and to not feel the tub that full but in order to get the jets to work you had to fill the water above the jets and when you did that and got in tub than water went in the over flow valve. Also told them the ice maker did not work she said some one would come and we left key so they could get in and no one showed up and my husband had to fix the Ice maker and we could not use the hot tub.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family