“Wonderful Place to visit”

Big Rock Dude Ranch at Ponderosa
More attraction details
Owner description: Horseback Riding, Petting Zoo, Fishing Pond, Gem Mining, ATV Rides, onsite Chow-Boys Cafe & General Store Free picnic area Heritage museum. peace/guitet swings around the duck pond playing area kids ,Horse shoes pit.or just rocking on the General store porch.And surrounded by little cove creek to wade in.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had a wonderful day at the ranch. We enjoyed the one hour horseback ride and the petting zoo. The mountain trail was beautiful! Our 6 year old daughter has been wanting to ride a horse all summer and that was our main reason for visiting and honestly the ride was more than I expected. Our guide was very good with our daughter and made it a memorable experience for her! We also enjoyed the petting zoo as well! The staff was very friendly and it was very clean.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Nice ride, professional staff, but they have a weight limit and will weigh you on a set of bathroom scales if necessary. The weight limit was 240. We had one in our group that told the man they weighed 242. He said no problem just get on the scales and let's see. What a jerk.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My daughter and I had a blast. The one hour trail ride through the mountains was beautiful. After our ride, we did gem mining and fed the animals in the petting zoo. They also offer fishing and ATV rides. This is a cool place with great photo opportunities! Very relaxing atmosphere, which was a nice change from the craziness up on the main parkway. The cost was surprising inexpensive in a tourist town. Best of all the staff was super friendly. My daughter is ready to go back! Well worth the visit.

1  Thank Kim K
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I just want to say anyone that gives this place a bad review is crazy. We went today w a party of 7. My 10 yr old daughter got really nervous before we mounted our horses. Our guide Denver was AMAZING. Not only was my daughter laughing and smiling by the time she got on her horse she wants to go back. Yes they ask u to tip your guides but in my opinion they deserve it. Our guide walked the whole trail and held a lead for our daughter. Everyone that works there were great!

1  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have been to other stables in the Smokey Mountain area, and this was probably the worst one I have ever been to. The staff was for the most part kind, however the woman at the front desk was not very informative about the ride or the horses that were available. The weight limit that is advertised is 250lbs, however we were notified last minute that the weight limit that day was 225lbs. One of the members of our group was 5lbs over the limit, and was told she would not be able to ride. Once I was on the back of my horse, I could tell that I needed to have the stirrups adjusted. However, when I asked if they could be moved up the staff member said I wouldn't want them moved up any more before he turned his back and walked off. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased, but decided not to argue and cause a fuss. Once on the trail, I was very uneasy. Despite the fact that the trail was rather wide, the horses walked a path that would cause the rider to hit trees, catch their feet on the few guard rails, and have their heads be smacked by branches and bushes with sharp thorns along the mountain side. Being literally right along the edge of the trail with no guard rail, I could look down over the edge and see a 50 foot drop straight down. My horse was rather stubborn, as was the horse my aunt was riding. When coaxed to move back from the horse in front of it, or coaxed to move away from an oncoming tree, both horses would turn and nip at our legs. There were no views whatsoever, and after being on the horse for only an hour I was sore beyond belief. Being an experienced rider, I have never before been in that much pain even after riding for hours on end. If you have ever rode bare back, that is more comfortable then the saddles that you will be put in at this ranch. Despite the few things for young kids, such as a tiny petting zoo, there was nothing here that impressed me. I would not recommend this riding stable to anyone.

2  Thank MidnightPrim