“Worst Hotel Experience Ever!”

Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge
Ranked #57 of 92 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I decided to take a trip to Pigeon Forge for our 16th anniversary. I can say that we will never forget this trip. We decided to stay at Spirit of the Smokies due to the price, and outward appearance. The motel looks nice on the inside and out, obviously due to a recent remodel. When we first went to the room it smelled of cigarette smoke. The lady at the front desk sent up maintenance to spray the room. We left shortly after due the combination being overwhelming. When we returned later the room still smelled like smoke, and I asked the lady at the desk to put on our account that we were not the smokers. She sent maintenance to spray again. I went out onto the balcony and had the door open to air out the room. While one the balcony, I had a horrible view. Our room was on the second floor right above the covered unloading area. So all we were able to see was the graveled roof. I understand that this is part of the hotel, and could overlook that, but there was so much trash on it from other guest throwing trash out of their rooms, and should have been cleaned off. After leaving the door open for an hour or so, the room got bearable. That night I noticed a few ants in the bathroom, but wasn't too worried, they were in the bathroom, and not too many. When I took a shower the next morning, the water flow out of the tub was very slow causing the water to back up in the shower. Couldn't tell whether I was supposed to be taking a shower or a bath. Ok, I could overlook this. We left for the day,and later that night thought I would use the jacuzzi, but there wasn't a lamp on that side of the room, so I moved the lamp from the other side of the bed. When I plugged it in, ants went scattering. I could overlook ants in the bathroom, but not on the night stand beside the bed. I went and talked to the lady at the front desk, and she sent maintenance up. He was going to spray raid. After all we had gone through the previous day, I did not want the room to smell like bug spray. So he proceeded to squash the ants on the nightstand and wall with his fingers and left the bodies. I was about to just suck it up, but then there were ants in the jacuzzi. So we went to talk to the lady at the front desk, and she told us that we would most likely not get any refund for the night because it was late. Not sure why that was our fault. She offered us a queen room, we went and looked, but the walls were so thin that we could hear the families in the rooms on either side of us. My husband went to return the key for the queen room. I went back to our room, sat on the bed, and got my cell phone out of my pocket, only to see an ant on my hand. This was the last straw. I went downstairs and told them that we were not staying. We were able to get our money back for that night. We went and found an older motel since it was so late. It was out of date, but clean. At that point, that was all I cared about.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patti B
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

We are incredibly sorry for your experience. Regarding the issue of the carport's roof, guests will throw garbage off onto this area, and we regularly and systematically clean it. We are as unhappy as you about this issue. If you viewed any debris in this location during your stay, it must have been in between their cleaning, and we sincerely apologize for this. We do not have any issue with pests and have a contract with a pest control company who proactively sprays regularly to keep it this way. Any isolated incident is treated with the utmost gravity, and we move on it and treat said area thoroughly and immediately. Such an incident should be immediately detected by our housekeeping staff that is also trained to be proactive to prevent issues, and we sincerely apologize for your circumstance. As you stated, we refunded your money, as this was highly irregular, and again, we do apologize for all of the inconveniences that were caused for you. As you stated, we are happy to offer such a great low price for our rooms, but we are always prouder to have it coupled with a high quality stay to yield the best value in town, as many of our repeat guests enjoy. We are sorry that your experience failed to meet such a high mark.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the first time in November 2012 when my sister got married. One thing did leave a bad taste in my mouth was that we had told them in advance that we would be staying for 2. The beds were really comfortable and we were really happy with our room. Had no issues with wifi.We got up the next day for the wedding and left for the venue and festivities for the day. We were at the reception when we got a call from the hotel saying we needed to move to another room. Um what? Thanks to them we had to take time out of our mini getaway to come back to the hotel and move our things to a room around the corner. Part of our visit was to include a visit to the aquarium but by the time we got there the aquarium was closed for a private event.

Nevertheless the hotel is clean, for the most part their nice and I'd say what happened in 2012 was an honest mistake.

We had another quick getaway earlier this month and we picked Governor's Inn in sevierville. Which was a big mistake. The room wasn't clean and there were bugs everywhere. Gov. Inn refused to refund our money and I knew Spirit was clean and the people were nice.

Room Tip: rooms with kitchens and fireplace are amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay again. Since we do not have your specific information, we cannot explain what scenario occurred when you were asked to move a couple years ago during your previous stay. We can definitely, uncategorically assure you that we NEVER have as a policy compelling a guest who has reserved a room to move. Without further information, we would not be able to determine or explain what happened. However, we are happy to hear you had a pleasant stay, and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

It was ok only because of the low 45 dollar price tag. The tv needs some more channels. 13 isn't enough. Half the channels didn't work. The pool was pretty good with the slide and all but def not warm (heated) as advertised. Quiet enough but we were located in the very last room on the hall at the end so we were kind of isolated. Fridge and microwave in room. Thats nice. Bulb burn out in room. Some remote buttons don't work. Bathroom was clean and plenty of hot water. Beds very comfortable. All in all adequate unless you need a good tv with lots of channels. No sports channels.

Stayed: April 2014
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for your comments. If there are any issues with the room, please never hesitate to call the front desk for any need. We staff front desk clerks and maintenance 24 hours a day. We do proudly carry ESPN, and we are planning our next project (after our pool additions) to vastly expand our channel selection. Thank you!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Me and my family stayed there last year, my parents had never been to the smokies before and we decided to stay here. The location is wonderful, the pool was great and to hear there is a water slide now is awesome! The only complaint I had was the beds were kind of hard, but outside if that it was great!!! Me and my family loved it so much that we are returning again this June! Won't ever stay anywhere else!!!

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you so much for your comments. We appreciate your business and loyalty; the majority of our guests are repeat visitors, some for years and years; we are happy to have you a part of that beloved group, and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We came off peak season and got our room for $35/night. Room has full kitchen with all utensils and an electric fireplace. There is no breakfast offered, but who really wants a cold bagel when Cracker Barrel is next door? Nice!
We plan to visit again.

Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

In all my years coming to Pigeon Forge we never noticed The Spirit of the Smokies. The only reason we are here is because we had a condo tour and this is where they booked us. Right up front you can see this hotel is working hard to update. Excellent- We were most impressed with the indoor pool. It is huge with a really fun water slide. We spent a lot of our time having lots of fun in the pool. Very Good- clean rooms, spacious; great balcony with beautiful view from room 5008: microwave and fridge; wonderful shower with good water pressure; Average- need more tv channels; need to update bedding covers and carpet; terrible- it wasn't all day and night but you can hear people talking in hallway and adjoining rooms; no breakfast. Overall we had a wonderful time and I am looking forward to seeing the updates to this hotel. We will return.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Laura S
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We are currently staying here the room is amazing. Its nice having a full kitchen location is great as well. So its 2014 I've stayed in knights inns with better tv selection. I have a 3 year old whom I am very selective over what she watches, well for kids you have 2 choices cartoon network or ABC family. Extremely limited tv selection all together. Then wheres the WiFi???? We have 2 phones and a new tablet( that we had to buy to attempt to get around the tv situation) well it says spirit of the smokies but you have extremely limited service. If I set in the bath tub I can get this places WiFi. Other than that I can sit by the window and pick up other motels WiFi. The indoor pool is satisfactory if the chlorine wasn't so strong it could burn your eyes just walking in. Overall won't be staying here again ever.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank abbysmommy0930
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your wide-ranging comments. We're happy to hear that you found your accommodations amazing, but sorry to hear you will never be returning. We have made a long transition to Charter Communications for our internet services, and within the next few weeks, will finish installing all of the access points on each floor for perfect reception. Until then, when we do not yet have 100% of the rooms covered, we have offered our lobby/lounge and business center on the ground floor as excellent Internet reception. We're sorry if you did not take advantage of that. We are also working on improving our channel selection; we apologize that you did not have more than one option per genre, but we don't see how that forced you to buy a tablet for a night's limited service... finally, our brand-new pools have all of the latest technology to coordinate at certain temperatures with the water and air, automatic solar panel layer, PH balance, etc. If there is ever an issue with the pool's chemicals, we have 24 hours maintenance to measure and oversee the pools. Thank you again for your comments.