“The Pictures are a lie! Most awful visit ever!”
Review of Smoky Shadows

Smoky Shadows
Ranked #64 of 90 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Marion, Virginia
“The Pictures are a lie! Most awful visit ever!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked this hotel online with Exedia and when I booked it the room was to be overlooking the river. There was supposed to be free wifi, continental breakfast, and an indoor pool. I knew it was going to be bad when I entered the lobby and it looked like it was falling apart. There was one man behind the counter and five people in line. A woman entered and began to check people in faster than the man she actually checked three people in while he waited on one. I found out the man was the manager. The man in front of me finished his check in and the manager gave him a piece of paper to sign and said I have to black out the rates we get from the online source you used to book your room and took a black magic marker and blacked out the rates on either side. When it was finally my turn, and to this point NO ONE had spoken to any of us to say hello how are you or anything. I waited until the woman checked in two more people while the manager proceeded to click on the computer without one word to me. When I went to move over to the woman to check me in he finally said I've got you I'm ready. I was so mad at this point!! But I'm praying that we are in a room in the newer part of the motel and not the older part. Guess what? We were in the old part and it was not river facing!! Our room was clean and I give kudos to the cleaning lady she was the ONLY person who spoke to me and when I asked for more towels she was so polite. My sons checked out the indoor pool and it was green. There was no wifi and when I checked out the continental breakfast it was instant oatmeal and raisin bran or fruit loops. We booked two nights but only stayed one and when I checked out a different girl behind the counter was going to give me a voucher but the manager told her no that if I had checked out earlier he would have given me a voucher!! Will not ever visit here again!!! And I do not advise anyone to visit here!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Momspecialedteach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Townsend, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This is a great no-frills place if you need an affordable, last-minute place to simply sleep and shower. At one in the morning, the front desk staff (Terri, I think?) was understanding and eager to find us a room within our meager budget when other hotels on the strip turned us out for being local (we work in Pigeon Forge and needed alternative lodging for the night). Contrary to other reviews, the room was well-furnished and reasonably clean, with just what we needed to get through the night.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 203. It was pretty average, aside from the toilet running for a good bit after flu...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I had a 2 night credit from a previous stay that I had to cut short last time (prepaid for 4 nights & checked out early). I decided to use the 2 night credit at Smoky Shadows and upgrade to a 2 room suite, for which I would pay the difference (we needed a room large enough for 5 people). I had called several times prior to confirm my reservation but had issues getting through to the phone number on the website. After calling the Pigeon Forge Visitor Center (to confirm whether or not they were still in business), I got another phone number and spoke with someone named Margaret that the hotel had phone trouble but that my reservation details were in tact and that our request for a large 2 room suite was confirmed. Upon arrival, the manager, Rick, told me that my room was not available because they were using that room for storage, and that my 2 night credit was supposed to be issued to me through a printed certificate, which I did not have, nor did I have knowledge that I needed to have prior to checking in. When he asked me who I spoke to and I told him "Margaret", he said that she no longer worked there. I argued that Margaret's departure was not my problem and that the certificate process was never explained to me; every opportunity for "Margaret" to tell me about this was available when I spoke to her. Needless to say I was getting aggravated after a 4 hour drive to get there. After a near confrontation with Rick and my husband, Rick agreed to apply my credit once he confirmed the details of my previous stay. He gave me 2 standard rooms and applied the credit, and the balance due came close to the difference I would have had to pay originally. Once this misunderstanding was ironed out, he even allowed me to see the rooms before checking in as a gesture of good will. Once I told him the rooms would work for 2 nights, a female employee approached and asked for my last name. When I told her who I was, she said she remembered me from my prior visit, confirming what I had explained to Rick. While it's not the fanciest place in Pigeon Forge, it worked for 2 nights. Admittedly the check in process started out rough, I was relieved and thankful that Rick did the right thing and accommodated us. One would think that if they're confirmed in a certain type of room, that the staff will make sure the room that was promised would be ready prior to a guest's arrival. The jury is out as to whether or not I will ever go back given what appeared to be mismanagement.

1 Thank Tara L
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The room had a smell to it, a hole in the wall, no hot water, only 2-3 channels on tv, toilet was hard to flush, bath tub was nasty, pool was green and over chlorine burnt eyes, no wifi, when hotel got busted for meth lab above our room and beside our room we asked to have another room they said no asked for refund back and they said no. This is the worst hotel that I've stayed at down there.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Jen182000

Travellers are raving about these Pigeon Forge hotels

Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The front desk people are not friendly or helpful at all. The first room we checked into had something coming up the drain (sewage?) we immediately switched rooms. The 2nd room we had was ok. The room was very worn and need's updated. The jacuzzi in the room was nice though. They advertise free wi-fi but it never worked and the people at the front desk didn't help or care. However, I will say that our housekeeper went above her duties and was very friendly. I wouldn't stay here again, for the price they charge we could find a nicer place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank siciliangirl89
Nicholasville, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Ugh. The pool was green, the carpet was torn and filthy, the walls were painted cinder blocks, the beds felt like some sort of torture device, and I was scared someone would break into my car in the middle of the night. Oh....also they found an active meth lab while I was there but I had to hear about it on the news. Stay away from this hole.

2 Thank 792StephanieB
Nicholasville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Upon arrival everything seemed ok...other than the police showing up..which was probaly due to the meth lab bust on 4/4/13. (which we unaware of at the time).very disappointed with room..due to having mini blinds on door that were almost destroyed.. Our daughters room did not have a hair dryer, or SHOWER CURTAIN...dogs in the next room barked constantly...after three phone calls to the front desk, Donna was the only one who offered to help resolve the issue. Rick her co-worker didn't bother to help or pass the information along to her at the beginning of her shift. But thank you Donna for trying. Pool way over chlorinated...so strong..burned your eyes. These things may seem trivial..but not when u are paying good money for a room. The most important...they advertise free WIFI; however, they have NO INTERNET ACCESS. So please beware of the websites that indicated free wifi. They first told my husband to drop our firewall on our computer...Ummmm...absolutely not..when I returned to the desk the next morning to inquire about the wifi...the lady who was working...a friend of the owner..indicated that they DO NOT HAVE IT ALL...and to try to connect to twin mountains. Can we say FRAUD!!! Please rethink before staying here.

2 Thank Paula R