“One Night's Stay”

Ranked #66 of 90 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Orlando, Florida
“One Night's Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Upon arrival, you can see that there are three buildings. Two of which are older and need renovations while the third was somewhat newer. We checked in and the lady up front seemed to not know what was going on. Had to ask other employees for each step of the check-in process. When we finally got our room, which was in one of the older buildings. We opened the door to an unkept and filthy room. The beds were completely undone, the floor needed cleaning, and the smell of cigarette smoke hit us hard. We didn't even step foot in before we closed the door and went back to the office.

The female at the counter seemed as if they were going to attempt to do a quick clean of that room and keep us in it. I asked if they could maybe put us in a room in the newer looking tower, but could tell by the whispering that they didn't wish to accommodate us. The manager didn't seem to have a great personality either.

After what felt to be an eternity, the manager walked to several rooms until he found one in the other older building that they were willing to give us. It was cleaner than the first, so we took it. I had booked the room online last minute and was already charged, therefore could not get my money back to check in elsewhere. The room had an older misty smell and definitely could use renovations. It turns out that the building they placed us is used for extended stay guests, some of who appeared to be questionable. We spoke with other guests who agreed that the service and accommodations could use a lot of work.

We went sight seeing and had dinner not too far from the hotel. When we returned, our key cards did not work. At the front desk, they stated that we were not checked in nor was my name on any registry and questioned us. We were displeased as our luggage was already in the room from the initial check in.

After some time, they finally let us into our room. We just slept it off and checked out early the next morning. Definitely not worth what I paid. Value is for a hotel on the side of a highway exit. Found a great place a few blocks away. Stayed there instead.

Room Tip: Check the room before taking the key.
1 Thank Dave677

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

This motel had a lot of issues. To begin, is took nearly 10 minutes to get checked-in when I arrived, and since I was waiting behind two people this meant a long wait. It seems as though they should have at least two people behind the desk. When I called to confirm my reservation a few days earlier, I was placed on hold for over 8 minutes before I hung up, because the person was busy helping a customer at the desk.

Once I finally checked in, they swiped my credit card, even though I had already paid on Expedia. They said it was just to get it "in the system" and it would be removed upon my check out. However, this charge was not taken off, and when I asked about it again I was told "this is the charge for your stay, I don't care if you have some payment confirmation on your phone." Needless to say, I contacted Expedia immediately about the double charge, and they helped me get my refund.

Their free "breakfast" consists of Fruit Loops, a few oatmeal packets, and some Lil' Debbie snack cakes. Needless to say their was hardly anyone in breakfast area, because their breakfast was so awful.

The room itself was okay, but it is very out of date, my remote did not work, and I had to jiggle the toilet handle frequently so it would stop running. I would advise that you DO NOT STAY HERE. Pay a little extra and deal with a company, not some half-rate business run by people with no skills.

3 Thank Jake S

Travellers are raving about these Pigeon Forge hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

I booked online thought I was getting a deal but I was wrong the room I booked was nothing like the pics which would be fine if the beds where not like sleeping on a rock.We where going to stay until the time I booked the room but I couldn't take sleeping there one more night my husband works in the area so he stayed one more night went to check out before going to work there was no one to be found and I asked the guy in the lobby the night before if he could check out at 6:30 he said yeah NOT A GOOD PLACE.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Pontiac9
Glasgow, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Booked this online with Priceline. Big mistake. Photos are misleading. I called ahead to confirm they had our reservations, And learned after a man answered the phone w/ a "Hello" that the hotels phone is actually the managers (Rick) Cellular phone. And all the staff are extremely unprofessional. We had no towels or iron in our room. Both indoor and outdoor pools were cloudy looking but not green. There was a refigerator and microwave in our room that was not listed on the aminities. The Wifi modem is broken. The lady "Kim" at the front desk literally told me to log onto any of the neighboring motels wifi's and even offered a password to one secure network belonging to a neighboring RV park , however I was unsuccessful in using any Wifi during our stay. (During my call to confirm my reservations earlier that morning Kim had told me they had working Wifi. ) The room we stayed in was fairly clean though the comforters in our Non-Smoking room had cigarette burns all over them. I would recommend leaving your shoes on full time as the carpet is slightly sticky and bathroom room was dirty. Breakfast was Oatmeal and either Rasin Bran or Fruit Loops. Cops I believe this hotel is in need of renovations and is understaffed and have become hateful because they expect people to complain and give them a hard time. Wish I would have booked somewhere else. I feel like it could have been worse, but still not worth the money. My recommendation for the Smoky Shadows; You have a good location, but if you aren't going to invest in its upkeep and your staff comes to work expecting to have a bad day, Do everyone a favor and close your doors.

Room Tip: This is more of a motel for someone looking for a quick cheap room. Not for someone looking to be co...
3 Thank Rachael B
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We arrived a bit later on Friday evening (1:15 am), the lady working behind the desk was obviously having a rough evening and was struggling, she was nice, but struggling. It took her 45 mins to get the key card to our room, but still didn't manage to get us checked in. I advised her we would come back down in the am to get things straightened out. We got to our room (the presidential suite) which included a Jacuzzi tub. The room was clean, exactly what we booked, we were happy. About 6 am, I went back down to see if the staff had changed and found the office shut and locked. The housekeeper Evelyn met me at the front and advised there had been a situation with the lady working the night before, but she was ok. I told Ms. Evelyn I was coming back down to check on her and get completely checked in and told her about the experience from the evening before. After briefly speaking with Ms. Evelyn, the owner of the hotel arrived and was concerned about his employee, he was very pleasant, accommodating, he asked about our trip and offered several places to see and go hiking. Mr. Seaton and I also spoke about our experience at check in the previous evening. Mr. Seaton was very apologetic and advised Evelyn to take care of us and make sure we had what ever we needed. I asked if we could switch rooms to one that had a river view and they switched us over, no questions asked. The new room they moved us to was right across the hall, still had the same amenities that we booked with a better balcony and view of the river. Overall, this was a great hotel, with exceptional staff. The hotel is older, but the tower is well maintained, very convenient location on the strip and the Jacuzzi tub in the room was more than worth it in our opinion. Thank you Mr. Seaton, Ms. Evelyn and the rest of the Smoky Shadows staff for helping us to have a great weekend getaway. We will definitely be staying here again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view are excellent.
Marion, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked this hotel online with Exedia and when I booked it the room was to be overlooking the river. There was supposed to be free wifi, continental breakfast, and an indoor pool. I knew it was going to be bad when I entered the lobby and it looked like it was falling apart. There was one man behind the counter and five people in line. A woman entered and began to check people in faster than the man she actually checked three people in while he waited on one. I found out the man was the manager. The man in front of me finished his check in and the manager gave him a piece of paper to sign and said I have to black out the rates we get from the online source you used to book your room and took a black magic marker and blacked out the rates on either side. When it was finally my turn, and to this point NO ONE had spoken to any of us to say hello how are you or anything. I waited until the woman checked in two more people while the manager proceeded to click on the computer without one word to me. When I went to move over to the woman to check me in he finally said I've got you I'm ready. I was so mad at this point!! But I'm praying that we are in a room in the newer part of the motel and not the older part. Guess what? We were in the old part and it was not river facing!! Our room was clean and I give kudos to the cleaning lady she was the ONLY person who spoke to me and when I asked for more towels she was so polite. My sons checked out the indoor pool and it was green. There was no wifi and when I checked out the continental breakfast it was instant oatmeal and raisin bran or fruit loops. We booked two nights but only stayed one and when I checked out a different girl behind the counter was going to give me a voucher but the manager told her no that if I had checked out earlier he would have given me a voucher!! Will not ever visit here again!!! And I do not advise anyone to visit here!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Momspecialedteach
Townsend, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

This is a great no-frills place if you need an affordable, last-minute place to simply sleep and shower. At one in the morning, the front desk staff (Terri, I think?) was understanding and eager to find us a room within our meager budget when other hotels on the strip turned us out for being local (we work in Pigeon Forge and needed alternative lodging for the night). Contrary to other reviews, the room was well-furnished and reasonably clean, with just what we needed to get through the night.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 203. It was pretty average, aside from the toilet running for a good bit after flu...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends