“Don't even think about it!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Shular Inn Hotel

Shular Inn Hotel
Ranked #47 of 90 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Tupelo,Ms.
“Don't even think about it!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

By A Yahoo! Contributor, 12/31/08
The only thing I liked about this place was leaving it !! I was so mad with this hotel that I needed a drink to calm me down. My wife and I went for a quiet getaway... we got everything but that. First, we left to visit the shops and restaurants. When we came back to go to bed around 10 o'clock that's when the "fun" began.
Around 11:30 pm the nightmare starts. A room full of children and teenagers( unsupervised, parents stayed in a different area) tore that room apart. Most, if not all the rooms are ajoining rooms with paper thin walls. You can hear every word people say. With that said, you can imagine how loud it was. The kids were screaming,fighting,laughing,running,jumping and banging on the walls. We were trying to ignore it and go sleep, but they were just getting louder. They kept opening their ajoining door and knocking on ours. I met the kids outside our room and asked them to be quiet.... they only got louder. When I called the front desk to complain, they agreed to move me to another room. They didn"t tell me it was in the next building 300' away in 30 degree temps. When I got to the office the night manager told me he could hear them. By the way we were on the fourth floor. The hotel DID NOT offer to help us move our luggage( AT MIDNIGHT) or to my knowledge do anything to the other occupants. They also didn't offer to compensate us in any way. The only thing they did, was to say,
We're Sorry. They don't know how true that is! Do Not stay with these people, you would be better off staying in your car

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — All Of It!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steveallan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

The family and I were looking forward to a great 2 night 3 day get away so we PREPAID with a credit card and checked in to the Shular Inn on Monday January 26, 2009 into room 220, it seemed great but,there were cob webs in the corner and mold in the heat/ac unit! Cleaning lady came with a feather duster and did get the cob webs down, but then she put the duster down on the bed, right on top of my 2 year olds jacket!!! I picked it up and put the duster NICELY in the floor, she picked it up and put in on the comforter! We were making small talk, so I didn't say anything to her. Then I tried to take a shower after a swim in the indoor pool, the tub was stopped up and I was in water up to my ankles! The desk clerk, Danielle said maintenance didn't have anything she could use, but a plunger,so she came up to the room, tried it, it didn't work of course. So she switched us to room 206, this was at 9:30+/- p.m. This room had an adjoining room and we could hear the people in this room screaming at each other over a remote control! They were having a fight so bad, my 7 and 2 year olds started crying. Desk clerk Danielle did apologize and had us move across the road in the freezing cold with 2 children! We moved to a suite, room 552. The tub was clogged again! Not wanting to move rooms again, my husband took his pocket knife and pulled out rolls of guest soap wrappers! Kids took showers, and we laid them down into a bed. I wanted to move our 2 yr old off of the pillow cuz she was lying in a funny position, when I picked up the pillow, there was a HUGE TICK crawling on it! My husband caught it in a plastic bag and after checking both kids, I called down to desk clerk Danielle. She said that "she had made numerous attempts to call the manager but he must be in bed because he wasn't answering the phone and she could not refund our money because she didn't even have a key to the credit card machine". She went on to say that "she was sure our room would be comped and she was so sorry for our trouble". She gave us room keys to check out two suites 558 and 560. Room 558 was fine but 560 smelled horrid so we chose 558. We moved the sleeping kids and all the luggage at 11:30 p.m. The next morning, we had "breakfast bags" for 4 stuck to our door knob- no promised buffet because, "there were hardly any guests" a quote from Danielle. We called the front desk to speak to a manager, and politely explained him the whole situation and asked for a refund. He said and I quote " YOU SHOULD HAVE CHECKED OUT LASTNIGHT. WE CAN'T REFUND YOUR MONEY. YOU STAYED THE NIGHT" We told him again of our problems and told him we would be down to the front desk in 15 minutes for a refund. He said," MY GENERAL MANAGER IS IN A MEETING AND CANNOT BE BOTHERED, I CANNOT REFUND YOUR MONEY WITHOUT DIRECT APPROVAL FROM HIM". My husband once again said politely and in disbelief of the managers attitude,that we would be down for a full refund in 15 minutes no more discussion. Well in about 5 minutes, this manager came up with a receipt that said our credit card had been refunded. (HASN'T HAPPENED YET) then the manager said that the gen manager told him the desk clerk handled our situation wrong from the start. That he was available all night the previous night and the gen manager was available 24-7 every day!!!! WHAT??? Everyone blames someone else. The worst trip ever and we will encourage anyone to not go to Shular Inn. Don't chance it - ticks can kill!!!!!

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — No one cared that we were having all kinds of problems
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank fourbeesmom
Apopka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

Just wanted to say Thank you again for making my christmas surprise for my family extra special. The rooms were extra large and exceptionally clean. The staff was not only informative, but went out of their way to be helpful. Not only will I return, but I will recommend your accomodations to my co-workers, family and friends. We will make this a new Christmas Tradition.

• Liked — Cleanliness of the rooms
  • Disliked — I could not stay longer
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2008

When the Econo Lodge Riverside was over booked the next morning, they told us about one of their sister hotels, the Shular Inn. We also checked with their other sister hotel, the Red Roof Inn, but it was also booked. When we requested a quote, the manager told us it was was $40/night for a room. But, when we returned with a different person at the front desk, she told us it would be $60. The manager quickly fixed the problem, gave us the previous price, and upgraded us to a "premium room". The first problem that we saw was that there were two buildings. One had the office, indoor pool, and half of the rooms. Another had the breakfast room, outdoor pool (very small, I might add), and of course, the other rooms. So, we had to drag our luggage all the way to the second building, about a quarter of a mile away from the main building. At least the breakfast room was close. When we arrived, we saw that the room was the exact same, but with a kitchenette that had a full-size fridge, range, microwave, and old, chipped china. But, this was low priority, considering we wouldn't be using it. Our family could hear the noises of the children in the outdoor pool. Thankfully, unlike the indoor pool, which is open 24 hours, the outdoor pool closed at around 8 pm. The beds were mediocre with old, and slightly sticky sheets. The next morning brought a "hot breakfast" of biscuits, gravy, and the normal hotel breakfast fare of cereal, bagels, etc. I don't consider biscuits and gravy "hot breakfast" at all. We could tell that these rooms were in need of renovation, even though they claimed that they had underwent them. Thankfully, it was only a one night stay, as it was the final day of our trip. I wouldn't recommend staying here, unless it's late in the night and most of the other hotels in the area are booked, or if you are looking for a cheap hotel room. Please note that the "$39.99" hotel room price is only for a simple queen room, something that we weren't told by management.

• Liked — Good Location, Cheap
  • Disliked — Front Desk gave us different prices, Very Old Facilities, Room Was in Different Building a Quarter of a Mile Away
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank cwest117
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2008

In October 08 my granddaughter and I spent a weekend in the Smokies. The hotel room was clean, but very outdated. Heating and Cooling unit would not work properly at all. Kept us up most of the evenings with its loud on/off on/off on/off noises. Desk clerks were more interested in who was on the phone than the guests they had in front of them.

Seems the Shular has lost a lot of its Touch.....Years ago it use to be a really nice place to stay and wasnt too overly priced. With all the new hotels in the area........they need to lower their prices to compensate for the outdated rooms.

Will be staying somewhere else next year.

Disappointed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Outdated
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank TennesseeBravesGirl
Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2008

We stayed at the Shular Inn from Sunday through Tuesday in September. We thought we would miss the car show traffic since one show was the weekend before and one was after. We were wrong! Evidently some people come down the first weekend and stay until the next weekend. This would be OK but the Shular Inn allows people to park their show cars on the property and this makes trying to maneuver the parking lot a challenge in the front. Not to mention we were woke up numerous times during the night by squeeling tires, loud engines, etc. When we told the front desk about the problem of the noise, their response was "are you sure it was here?" I know it was there because I walked out on the balcony and saw and heard it. When we called Shular Inn and booked our rooms we requested to be in building B (They have two buildings divided by a street) because this is where the breakfast is located from 7-10am and someone in our group was in a wheelchair and it would be easier if we didn't have to cross the street. The lady at the front desk said that would be no problem, all our rooms would be in building B. At check in we were put in building A. When we asked why they said they had a group staying that wanted to be in building B so we got bumped.

The other workers we encountered on the property were nice and friendly. The front desk workers could take some lessons from them! So to sum it up: If you like rude front desk people, being woke up at 3:00am by car engines and tires, not being put in the building you were told you would be in, then the Shular Inn is for you!

• Liked — Room was clean
  • Disliked — Rude front desk, noise all night long, reservations changed to accommodate someone else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank KentuckyWildcat_Fans
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2008

This was a very clean place. I walked in around 1:30pm on Saturday, August 23, 2008 and asked for a room for 2 adults and 2 kids. The rate was 68.00 plus tax. The room was very clean and the hotel was nice. Had 2 pools. One inside with a small baby pool. Also had a jacuzzi. Both were clean and warm.
The other pool was across the street in the back. Had a small but nice continental breakfast also across the backstreet in the other half of their hotel. Will stay here again! I have stayed at some real nasty places in pigeon forge and was really scared to even try another place. But this was really great!

Stayed August 2008