“"Horrible experience!!"”

Ranked #46 of 91 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Bluefield, WV
“"Horrible experience!!"”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Made reservations for a room 3 days prior to stay. Arrived and had to wait 5hrs for a room. 2hrs after getting in room, finally received wash cloths. Room smelled awful, had to go and buy candles and a can of air freshener. Flys in the bathroom. When made reservations on phone was told of discounted tickets for Dollywood through the hotel. Went to purchase tickets when arrived, you have to place on credit card. Who in their right mind does not accept cash? Will never stay there again. Hope you don't.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank wvnurse101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Marysville, Michigan
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We had 3 nights through a time share promotion, and chose the Shular for its location.
Nothing fancy, clean, and basic. We were at the "rear" building (by the outdoor pool and continental breakfast room). We were on the fifth floor with indoor corridors, which was nice. The mini kitchen in our room (w/apt-size fridge) would be nice if you wanted to cook a light meal.
There wasn't daily housekeeping and the continental breakfast was sparse and "cheap" - canned fruit cocktail rather than fresh fruit, frozen mini-sweet rolls rather than fresh pastry.
The outdoor pool and hot tub had water, but neither seemed to have been cleaned; the indoor pool roof leaked onto the floor and the bathrooms at the pool didn't work. The hot tub at the indoor pool was nice.
Front desk staff was polite, helpful. Not very busy when we were there - not a third full, so nice and quiet.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
bluff city, tn
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We always stay at the Shular Inn however when I called to make my reservation I was told a rate about double to what it actually was, I called back a few days later got the same lady was told same thing so since it was way higher than what we could spend we booked with Econo Lodge. Well the hot tub over there started leaking to the room down below and the bathroom plumbing was messed up too . It was our anniversary trip and I had booked a month it advance to make sure we got a nice room . Well we called Shular to see if we could move there the price was ok and they told me the lady I had talked with earlier in the month had messed up on pricing. I called back down at the desk at Econo and was told if we moved motels we would still default the first night
which would have been 100.00 I was so upset and was getting quite angry well then the front desk called back and said we could go to the Shular for the same price and they would knock the default down to 50.00, no i dont think it was fair i had to pay that default we had only been checked in about 3 hrs and it was something not our fault. but I was happy just to get over to Shular I didnt care anymore . The gentleman there was so nice and helpful gave us a nice room with jaquzii and fireplace.. alot better room that what we had over at the other place. I will never stay anywhere else other than the Shular from now on ... Their Staff are excellent and helpfull...
Thank you for making our trip great...
The hot tub was very important since it rained our whole trip and we didnt get to do anything we had planned...
You guys are the greatest !!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 April 2009

The Shular Inn was an okay trip. My family and I were coming for a 5 day stay in Pigeon Forge to relax and shop. We decided we would look at the pictures of the Shular Inn and see how it looked to us. We looked and decided "This will be a great hotel. The rate is cheap and the rooms look pretty well." We were very wrong... The pictures are nothing like the hotel room we got stuck in. We were in the main building. The pictures made the rooms look huge, but the room we got only had 2 beds, 2 lamps, a table, 2 chairs, a TV/Dresser, a vanity, a bathroom, and a refridgerator, all in a small room! We decided we would ignore this and stay anyway. Then, we went off for the day. Later on, when we got back, I decided to go swimming (BIG MISTAKE!) The pool was clean enough, but the outside of the pool was soaking wet. About 10 people almost fell into the pool from the wetness! After a while, I left. The next day, the Cleaning services came. They cleaned good, but took our extra towels and went through our drawers (Where are valubles were!) and threw away milk tabs for our cat to play with! We were pretty angry now, but decided that we would ignore it since they cleaned well enough. So, we went back out to the pool. By now, the pool was dirty and overcrowded. They had a sign that said no diving, but it was barely big enough for anyone to see. That night, about 20 people got into the little pool, and the outside caused half of them to almost fall. About 15 of the 20 people decided they would dive in! So this person dives in and jumps onto me (not the worst part) Then he spits in my face! I was so shocked I just left. I think that they should have the pool monitored by cameras or something and have it cleaned commonly. Overall, it was an okay stay, but it needed some work. It wasn't the worst stay, but certainly wasn't the best. I wouldn't reccomend it compared to places like the Fairfield Inn and others up here.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sheisawesome10
shularinn, public relations at Shular Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2009
When checking in here at the Shular Inn we always inform our guest with children that the rooms are larger in the annex building, and that they would be more comfortable back there. We do understand that the indoor pool is located in the main building, so it is always our guests choice where they would like to be. As for our indoor pool, it is well kept by our maintence staff, and checked numerous times a day. There are caution signs warning everyone that the floor is wet.. We also have a great housekeeping staff, that go above and beyond to keep the rooms looking great.
rockwood,tennessee
Reviewed 8 February 2009

this is a very nice hotel for a cheap rate. the rooms were very clean and the maids and front desk people were very friendly.the indoor pool was very warm and the pool area was cleanier then most places we've stayed and the pool is open 24 hours which was nice.the hot breakfast was very good also.i would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a clean ,friendly,cheap hotel for your money.

• Liked — clean rooms
  • Disliked — the pool area had a little bit of garbage lying around.
  • Stayed February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tupelo,Ms.
Reviewed 4 February 2009

By A Yahoo! Contributor, 12/31/08
The only thing I liked about this place was leaving it !! I was so mad with this hotel that I needed a drink to calm me down. My wife and I went for a quiet getaway... we got everything but that. First, we left to visit the shops and restaurants. When we came back to go to bed around 10 o'clock that's when the "fun" began.
Around 11:30 pm the nightmare starts. A room full of children and teenagers( unsupervised, parents stayed in a different area) tore that room apart. Most, if not all the rooms are ajoining rooms with paper thin walls. You can hear every word people say. With that said, you can imagine how loud it was. The kids were screaming,fighting,laughing,running,jumping and banging on the walls. We were trying to ignore it and go sleep, but they were just getting louder. They kept opening their ajoining door and knocking on ours. I met the kids outside our room and asked them to be quiet.... they only got louder. When I called the front desk to complain, they agreed to move me to another room. They didn"t tell me it was in the next building 300' away in 30 degree temps. When I got to the office the night manager told me he could hear them. By the way we were on the fourth floor. The hotel DID NOT offer to help us move our luggage( AT MIDNIGHT) or to my knowledge do anything to the other occupants. They also didn't offer to compensate us in any way. The only thing they did, was to say,
We're Sorry. They don't know how true that is! Do Not stay with these people, you would be better off staying in your car

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — All Of It!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steveallan
TN
Reviewed 28 January 2009

The family and I were looking forward to a great 2 night 3 day get away so we PREPAID with a credit card and checked in to the Shular Inn on Monday January 26, 2009 into room 220, it seemed great but,there were cob webs in the corner and mold in the heat/ac unit! Cleaning lady came with a feather duster and did get the cob webs down, but then she put the duster down on the bed, right on top of my 2 year olds jacket!!! I picked it up and put the duster NICELY in the floor, she picked it up and put in on the comforter! We were making small talk, so I didn't say anything to her. Then I tried to take a shower after a swim in the indoor pool, the tub was stopped up and I was in water up to my ankles! The desk clerk, Danielle said maintenance didn't have anything she could use, but a plunger,so she came up to the room, tried it, it didn't work of course. So she switched us to room 206, this was at 9:30+/- p.m. This room had an adjoining room and we could hear the people in this room screaming at each other over a remote control! They were having a fight so bad, my 7 and 2 year olds started crying. Desk clerk Danielle did apologize and had us move across the road in the freezing cold with 2 children! We moved to a suite, room 552. The tub was clogged again! Not wanting to move rooms again, my husband took his pocket knife and pulled out rolls of guest soap wrappers! Kids took showers, and we laid them down into a bed. I wanted to move our 2 yr old off of the pillow cuz she was lying in a funny position, when I picked up the pillow, there was a HUGE TICK crawling on it! My husband caught it in a plastic bag and after checking both kids, I called down to desk clerk Danielle. She said that "she had made numerous attempts to call the manager but he must be in bed because he wasn't answering the phone and she could not refund our money because she didn't even have a key to the credit card machine". She went on to say that "she was sure our room would be comped and she was so sorry for our trouble". She gave us room keys to check out two suites 558 and 560. Room 558 was fine but 560 smelled horrid so we chose 558. We moved the sleeping kids and all the luggage at 11:30 p.m. The next morning, we had "breakfast bags" for 4 stuck to our door knob- no promised buffet because, "there were hardly any guests" a quote from Danielle. We called the front desk to speak to a manager, and politely explained him the whole situation and asked for a refund. He said and I quote " YOU SHOULD HAVE CHECKED OUT LASTNIGHT. WE CAN'T REFUND YOUR MONEY. YOU STAYED THE NIGHT" We told him again of our problems and told him we would be down to the front desk in 15 minutes for a refund. He said," MY GENERAL MANAGER IS IN A MEETING AND CANNOT BE BOTHERED, I CANNOT REFUND YOUR MONEY WITHOUT DIRECT APPROVAL FROM HIM". My husband once again said politely and in disbelief of the managers attitude,that we would be down for a full refund in 15 minutes no more discussion. Well in about 5 minutes, this manager came up with a receipt that said our credit card had been refunded. (HASN'T HAPPENED YET) then the manager said that the gen manager told him the desk clerk handled our situation wrong from the start. That he was available all night the previous night and the gen manager was available 24-7 every day!!!! WHAT??? Everyone blames someone else. The worst trip ever and we will encourage anyone to not go to Shular Inn. Don't chance it - ticks can kill!!!!!

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — No one cared that we were having all kinds of problems
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank fourbeesmom