“Look for it, you'll like it” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 170 Restaurants in Pigeon Forge
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Cuban
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charleston, WV
“Look for it, you'll like it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had read good reviews but wasn't quite sure what we would get. It is a small place hidden in a strip of stores that you have to look for a bit. It's worth finding it. We were greeted by a very pleasant waitress you went our of her way to explain what was on the menu and what was in each thing. I had shredded beef and rice (Jasmine rice), a salad and some plantains. All wonderful. My wife had the Cuban sandwich. This good enough that we tried to go back again but they were closed when we had the time. The flan, made by the waitress' grandmother may be the best I ever had with a caramel sauce that was taken off at just that right time when the sugar is just starting to burn. The food it great, the serve is great and the price is very reasonable. Not fine dining but a definite place to stop.

• Visited June 2014

Lakeland
“Authentic Cuban food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

12" pressed Cuban was great, & more than enough for two average eaters. They need to watch moisture of pork, one bite was very dry, rest was good. Homemade flan was out of this world. Fries were typical from a bag into the fryer. Shop is very small, spotless, & staff was very friendly. Can't imagine why the other reviewer didn't "feel comfortable", as I went in alone for take out. Place was full, 80% were families..

• Visited June 2014
Cincinnatus, New York
“Authentic and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Soooo thrilled to try this family-owned restaurant. Small unpretentious setting (several tables and simple setup,) but food is great! We had rice, beans, chicken sandwich, fried yucca, sweet plantains and tostones -- and thrilled with every bit of the meal. It was a treat to find this restaurant in the area and plan to eat here again next time we visit.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hawkins, Texas
“Possibilities...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We ate at Smokies Cuban Cafe on Friday, May 30th, based on reviews from TA. We ordered 2 Cuban sandwiches, one with fried plantains and the other French fries, and also a Cuban steak with beans, rice, and fried plantains. The sandwiches were good, bread fresh, but it needed more moisture, more mustard and pickles, I suppose. Some of the pork on the sandwiches had significant gristle, which caused my daughter to not want to eat the rest. My husband's Cuban steak was possibly skirt steak or hanger steak, pounded or sliced into 1/4" thickness and served with grilled or sautéed onions on top. There was no sauce or gravy and the meat had no color at all. I am not familiar wit Cuban steak, so perhaps this was the correct way to prepare it. The taste was okay, only moderately seasoned, according to my husband. The dish was unadorned, nothing but the 4 components. Sandwiches served in baskets. As for the decor, there was none. Only about 4-5 small tables, and a linoleum floor. It needed some help with the clutter and a coat of fresh paint. The entire restaurant is probably 20' by 40', including the check out and food prep. area., which is right there in the open front. The service was what you would expect from a fairly (?) new establishment and we weren't even sure how to pay the ticket. It is family owned and run and I hope they are able to get a little more professional with their food, service, presentation and decor. I don't want to discourage customers, and I dire these people for giving it a shot---opening a restaurant without formal training in food service is not for the faint-of-heart. (i know this from my own experience!) Good luck to them!

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Lehigh Acres, Florida
“Some of the best cuban I have ever eaten!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We decided to try here after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. We were NOT disappointed. We ordered a cuban sandwich, fried plantains, black beans and rice, and flan. The sandwich was huge and amazing!! The plantains and black beans and rice were very flavorful and we wished we had not gotten one to share! We got ours to go as the cafe is very small but don't hold that against them. Treat yourself and go here one night, at least! The owners are extremely friendly!

• Visited July 2013