“It was our last choice”

Ranked #88 of 92 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Columbus, Ohio
“It was our last choice”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We only stayed here because another hotel/motel/dump canceled our reservation and we were scrambling to find a place. No working electricity on the bed-side of the room, no towels when we got there. We asked for towels, but had to get our own off of the housekeeping cart. Just before midnight, housekeeping came banging on the door to bring them, I assume. Also, the shower was only ice cold or nuclear hot...nothing in-between.

We're glad we had a bed for the weekend, given how packed the area was, but $110 for this room was about $109.95 too much.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PAS1234, Front Office Manager at Americana Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
I am sorry that happened to you during your stay, and we certainly do value your business. Sometimes things happen which are beyond the control of management hence fourth the lighting going out on the back side outlets. That day our key machine had also gone out, we replaced the hot water heater so that all of our guests would be able to enjoy hot water during their stay with us. Yes, it was a very stressful day for all and affected many departments within the property including housekeeping which had the duty of washing all linen and towels. Once brought to our attention we had given guests the opportunity to switch rooms that were effected by the power surge, and would have been more then happy to move you to another room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
MS Gulf Coast
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Recently while on furlough due to the Government shut down I decided to take my lemons and make lemonade. I loaded up the kids and wife and we took our first trip to Dollywood for a fun 5 day trip. On the way up my wife booked our hotel stay at this establishment through an online booking company. We based our choice on cost ($70 a night) and proximity to Dollywood. We left on a Friday afternoon and arrived around 10 PM that night. When I walked into the lobby I was greeted by a group of people making complaints that toilets were backing up, and key cards not working. From that moment on I immediately had a sinking feeling in my stomach that we might have made a bad choice. I should of read the reviews already on this place before booking. I read through all of them after we left and discovered a lot of the things other people complained about as far back as June 2013 were still happening on my trip in October 2013.

From the moment I arrived I was not warmly greeted. It was obvious that the front desk staff had no interest in doing that. I announced who I was and was told that there weren't any keys to give to me because the machine was not working, and that there wouldn't be any keys for an hour. Someone went up to our room and unlocked/left it wide open for us. I went to the room and checked to make sure that at least the toilet flushed and then came back down stairs. We made our way back to the car to go park and couldn't find a single place to park in the darkly lit lot. I had to park in lot next door to our hotel. We hauled our stuff up to the room and then decided to go out and eat. Around 2 AM we returned to the hotel and the front desk person told me they still didn't have any keys. This was 3 hours after I was told only an hour wait for keys. The man told me that he would come up with a key to let us in, so at 2 in the morning me and the wife and kids go up to our room to stand and wait outside. After about 20 minutes the man from the front desk never came up. I walked back down to find out what was going on.

The front desk man tells me that he still doesn't have a key for us and his solution is going to be to put us in another room. I informed him that we had all of our belongings in that locked room, which included insulin. He then told me that he was going to have to remove a panel that is used to hold the air conditioner unit in place and have one of my two kids crawl through the opening to get the door open. I was extremely furious but held my cool and agreed so we could get in the room. I told my wife and kids to stay in the lobby while I went up to help the front desk person. After several minutes he was able to remove the panel and thankfully reached in and unlocked the door. He did make an effort to help up at that time and I am thankful, but these kind of things should not be happening repeatedly according to other reviews it seems routine.

The next morning I went down stairs to get key cards and the lady at the front desk rudely told me they didn't have any for me. As I was about to walk away another person told her something and then the lady went ahead and made me a set anyhow. I went to the breakfast area and even though it was almost 10 AM they had nothing out at all. I went back to my room and checked both cards and they worked. So we all left to get breakfast at a restaurant and then on to our activities. Later on that evening we returned and went back to our room only to find out that the key cards wouldn't work. By this point I was getting frustrated. I went back to the front desk to have the cards set again and was questioned by the man if I had them in my wallet???? Where else would I put them? I had one in my wallet and the other one was in my wife's purse. Neither of them ever came in contact with magnets. When I returned to the door where my family was waiting they pointed out no less than 5 gold brownish spiders on the wall around our door. I was able to open the door this time. We walked in and to our surprise the room which was unoccupied all day and most of the night had not even been cleaned. Our beds were unmade and all of the towels we used from the night before were still pilled up on the bathroom floor. I called the front desk and told them we needed towels. The man said he would have some sent up. We waited and waited, and waited, and waited some more. My kids needed to take showers, My wife and I needed to take showers, we had been walking around all day long. I went to the front desk and the man there told me he was having some sent up. The lady there didn't ever may eye contact with me, never acknowledged my presence at all. I waited in the lobby and still no towels. I went back up to the bedroom and my wife was pissed off by this point and she left the room, and found a housekeeping cart and brought some towels back herself. If you plan on staying here BRING YOUR OWN LINEN AND TOWELS, AND TOILETRIES because you're certainly not going to get it from house keeping, and the front desk just doesn't give a damn about you or the money you spend on their dump. Saturday morning we were woken to a large group of college-aged students in the parking lot chanting and yelling in unison. As if some pep rally was going on. We complained to the front desk but they didn't care. Their response was more or less 'so what?' They just do not care!

Saturday night I booked another hotel for Sunday. Sunday morning I went down to the lobby to check out about 8 AM and even though there was several people in the breakfast area I hardly saw anything to eat. There was a single waffle maker but didn't see any batter, there were 2 cereal dispensers and 2 biscuits and 6 or 7 small muffins. As I was walking out I noticed that a set of glass doors leading to the outside that had a decal on it stating "DOORS REMAIN OPEN DURING BUSINESS HOURS" but the door was LOCKED! This is a serious fire hazard, if something had happened in the lobby, no one would have an exit to use.

The beds in our room were very uncomfortable, I could feel every spring in them, the pillow they provided had no support and were very flat, I had to take clothing from my bag and place it under the pillow just to get my head in a comfortable position. My wife suffered back pains due to the 2 nights sleeping on these beds.

I never had an experience like this at any place I've ever stayed. In fact this stay is what prompted me to create an account and post this review. It's apparent they won't offer a refund, their staff takes no pride, their management has no leadership skills, or ability to properly staff this place. The owners should sell it off and turn it into another amusement ride or parking lot, because it fails horribly as a hotel.

I noticed that the Hotel Front Desk Manager likes to rebuttal several of these reviews, some with pretty pathetic excuses like it was a busy weekend etc. They keep saying they're fixing this and that but here it is 3 or 4 months later and the same issues exist. CUSTOMER BEWARE! SAVE YOURSELF MONEY AND GRIEF. GO ELSEWHERE!

Room Tip: Rooms on one side has a loud go-kart racing track.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank travelingnexus
I can certainly understand your frustration, and yes, you had caught us at our worst which is unexcusable. That day as stated on a previous case our key machine had gone down and some of our fail safe keys were not functioning the way they were supposed to. Yes there were guest upset about sinks and bath tubs not draining but no issues with toilets. That had happened due to new hot water heater being installed and water was turned off to the property earlier during the day. Even though the rooms were cleaned and ready to go in the system after the hot water heater was connected and water turned back on these rooms should have been checked and I apologize you had to witness the aftermath of that. Further more it normally takes 15-20 minutes to reprogram the key machine however we were unable to get it back up and running the night in question, which I can certainly understand how frustrating that was for you, as well as myself as I was the one who opened your door for you. that now being said, Believe me when I tell you I am terribly sorry for the events that happened to you during your stay, Our main goal between all departments is to provide a pleasant atmosphere for all of our guests. With key machine down, and other situations which had occurred was a very stressful night for all involved, and we failed miserably. However, I did offer to move you to another room, After you informed me of the need for your insulin I certainly understood that and got you back into your room. I still offered to switch rooms and you advised you wanted to stay in the current room if you were able to get keys in the morning. As I advised you you would be able to as soon as the machine was back up and running or we would move you, and you had stated that was acceptable. As far as the breakfast on a night when we are over 90% occupancy breakfast is first come first serve and is constantly restocked during the hours of 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM.

Travellers are raving about these Pigeon Forge hotels

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 September 2013

All of the negative reviews you see on here are absolutely true! This place is a disgusting dump! The front desk staff is very unprofessional and rude and they will lie to you. I have never been treated with such disrespect in any hotel ever. The room was repulsive with dead bugs everywhere and mold growing the bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Atrixx
PAS1234, Front Office Manager at Americana Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for your review, and we certainly do apologize that your stay with us was not satisfactory. Dead bugs all over your room? Thank you for discrediting other user posts which claims the rooms are bug infested which shows our exterminators do their job as they are on property twice per month. However we also have a very good housekeeping staff that ensures are rooms are up to par before we rent them. If this event was brought to our attention it would have been handled in the most professional of manners as we do care about our guests and would not ever put a guest in a room that we would not sleep in ourselves. Our staff has been called a lot of things by guests but rude and dishonest has not been one of them. We work diligently to ensure guest satisfaction, resolving guest issues before they become an issue. Unfortunately sometimes we can not please all the people all the time.
Virgie, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We made our reservations a month in advance for Shades of the Past car show. For two nights it was around $400.00. We had a friend we got a room for on Saturday night of which that room tax and all cost us 190.00 and his same exact room for the same night was 130.00 tax and all. When we asked at the front desk why there was a price difference we were told it was because we had made our reservations in advance, however they told us we could book for next year. NOT, I also had a paper I had brought home with me that had you could book a room for 119.00 a night because we had stayed there in the spring as well. I mentioned this when I called to make our reservations for the car show this time. I thought most places give you a discount when you book in advance, not punish by charging you an extra 60.00 for your room. I asked why someone else got a room for 99.00 a night when we checked in and we were told that is was for a room with one bed and was also told this about the 130.00 room. I feel that I was cheated out of 120.00 for the two nights I stayed, the room was clean but I think they have a different price for everyone. I do not recommend making reservations in advance because they will charge you more.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rachel J
PAS1234, Front Office Manager at Americana Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Hi Rachel, this is definitely false, and am sorry you feel this way. We do offer steep discounts to those whom book one year in advance, during the night of based upon availability and the time of check in we do tend to lower rates. However the Parkway side rooms pricing does not go down unless check in time is after 2:00 AM, and any arrivals over night are still charged for previous day, plus the cost of the current day at a none discounted rate. We also do offer AAA, AARP, and Government discounts which are lower than our rack rate.
kingston tn.
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We got in to the hotel early, but they were very accommodating an let us look at the rooms and pick the one we liked best, for a very reasonable rate. The room was a nice size, lean and with all the things you look for, WiFi, microwave, TV refrigerator, hair dryer, and toiletries. The bed was a king, and looked nice, but we later found out it was like sleeping on the floor. Very hard and uncomfortable, usually my husband can sleep on anything but he even had a hard time sleeping on it. A lot of street noise until really late in the front if the motel where we were , and in the back it was next door to a car racing place. But if you went to sleep late anyhow it wouldn't be bad. The best thing about it was the (outdoor0 swimming pool. It was really big, and had a little seating place in the middle, it was almost like a resort pool. One whole side was 8' deep, and another whole side was only 2 to 3 ' deep, with the little sitting place in the middle, and seating all around the pool too. We were the only people in it, and it was great. If it wasn't for the bed we'd go there anytime. They also had a free breakfast with good waffles, and a few other things.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front are less noisy than in the back.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kit-kat40
PAS1234, Front Office Manager at Americana Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
We are certainly glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you back again soon. Since becoming Americana Inn & Suites earlier this year we are slowly working on renovating our rooms, hopefully the next time you come in, we will have new beds. Also we are certainly aware of the noise on the Parkway from the traffic, and pool side from the go cart track. However we do have rooms on the river side which are much quieter. We also have Deluxe rooms available which have updated furniture and beds. Currently those are only available on the Parkway side, and Pool Side. Thanks again for your review and look forward to accommodating you folks again in the future.
Itasca, Illinois
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I planned a last minute trip to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. This was my third time in the area, and my first time at the Americana Inn. Where to begin. I arrive in the late evening and walk into the lobby to check in. There is a line out the door of people trying to cancel their reservations due to cockroaches (yes, I am serious). After waiting about half an hour, I finally approach the front desk. They cannot find my reservation. I pull out my confirmation and print out of the reservation and they spend the next 45 minutes trying to find it in their computer. Only after they realized how upset I was getting someone else stepped in to help. The hotel itself is completely disgusting. The rooms smell and are dirty. There was mold in the bathroom. The beds are simply just scary, dirty sheets. I could go on. Bottom line: avoid this hotel at all cost. It's just disgusting and the staff is rude and useless.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ania_at_TravelBred
Yes mam, I can certainly understand your frustration as I was working in the back office that night. Labor Day weekend is one of the busiest weekends at our property, and yes there was a line out the door at the time you checked in. Also the guest in which you are referencing that started it all with the cockroach story was trying to get a refund before checking in, went to there room came down over thirty minutes later and decided to create a scene being that we would not give a full refund causing other guests that were in the line going out the door to want a refund as well. After inspecting the room, there was no bug in the bathtub, and no water in the drain, just someone trying to cause a scene which apparently upset you as well as the other guests that were waiting to check in. I do remember you and apologize for the long wait at check in as with third party web reservations come into the hotel through a separate system and therefore reservations do not always come up which is why we highly recommend booking through the hotel directly to avoid lengthy wait times in the case the reservation does not transfer.
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We frequent Pigeon Forge and we have stayed many different places. Unfortunately this past trip our hotel had a fire and we were forced to seek other arrangements on Labor Day weekend. I should have known better. The hotel is in a great location but that is the end. The rooms are disgusting, even the non smoking rooms STINK. We did not shower because the tub was disgusting. We attempted to get a refund but were informed that the owner lives over seas and no one has the authority to refund due to a 72 hour cancellation policy. Everyone was furious, there was a line out the door when we first walked in. The lady in front of us had standing water and a roach in her room, so we got off easy. Worst experience ever!

Room Tip: Anywhere but here! Hampton Inn or Wyndam!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lil_Miss_Leah
I certainly do apologize for the inconvienance. Your other hotel supposedly had a fire and you wanted to cancel your reservationas you had said to us due to the fact you found out you were able to check in to your other hotel and they would not give you a refund. Then you write this complaint stating all kinds of other reasons. We are aware you did not like the first room you were in and made every attempt to make your stay more enjoyable by switching you to another room. At the time of check in you also stated would file complaint on tripadvisor because the other hotel would not refund you your money