“Let down”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kingsport, Tennessee, United States
“Let down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was a surprise trip for my husband's birthday , I booked a certain room overlooking the courtyard told them this was a surprise ,what did they do called him and blew it,didn't get the room I booked either. I thought I would give them another try after they did the same thing on our 25th anniversary. We love Christmas and think this could be a good place if they had anyone capable of making a correct reservation and that could follow simple direction. Due to this same thing happing our family has cancelled their reservation in December, all 9 families have decided to just go to Biltmoe .

Room Tip: If your looking for a view,ask what it will be.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Gregory A
JanetDonaldson, Marketing at The Inn at Christmas Place, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Oh, we are so sorry to have spoiled the surprise! It is our routine policy to call ahead to confirm reservations, for the convenience of guests who might need to make a change. If it was noted with your reservation, we definitely should not have called, and I am very sorry for our mistake.

I understand that your first room was not to your liking, and though we were able to move you to a courtyard view, we did not have the same room type available during your stay. Again, I'm sorry that we could not accommodate that request.

In looking to the past, we noted that on your anniversary stay we were able to move you to a higher floor with a room upgrade. I'm not sure what we might have done on that trip which inconvenienced you or was incorrect, but I apologize for any problem you may have experienced with our service on that occasion.

We are sorry to hear that your family will not be enjoying all our Christmas activities in December, but we know you'll find Biltmore to be an extraordinary experience for the holidays. They have such magnificent decorations there - we are a bit envious of their high ceilings, but please don't tell them we said so!

Happy travels,

~Janet Donaldson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

A very creative Christmas themed hotel with very friendly staff! It makes you feel like your staying in a Christmas Wonderland! Even if your not staying in December (around the Holiday Season) you still will love this hotel! Everything is beautifully decorated, from the lobby to the hallways to your room! It's a cool experience that you don't want to miss!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Adamthetraveler8
Warwick, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was the best hotel that you could possibly ever stay at if you love Christmas! Everywhere you looked was decorated. It was traditionally done not tacky and not over the top. It was very clean. Our room was a suite with a fireplace and a balcony. The only complaint I have is that Santa wasn't there and I specifically booked a Thursday night because they advertised that he would be there and I called to confirmed what nights he was there and they said Thursdays and Saturdays. i booked 2 rooms one for me and my husband and one for my sister in law and her husband. Don't advertise something if you're not going to do it. I see on here that he wasn't there Saturday of that week either. Other than that the cookies and lemonade were great and so were the movies. Also the staff could be a little happier. I would definetly stay here again.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We and our 13 year old granddaughter shared a room here two night's in August. Our daughter, her husband, and our grandson were in a nearby room. The location of the hotel is terrific. It fronts the main busy street and there's a light at the intersection. A Starbucks was within walking distance as were several restaurants and attractions. However, the back of the parking lot led to a less busy road and we avaided a lot of traffic by using it, including going to Dollywood.
We were greeted by a friendly doorman who got a luggage cart for us and offered his help. The front desk people were helpful. I was surprised that I didn't see Pigeon Forge informational brochures available. Coffee is always available (no cup lids??) as was lemonade. A pianist was playing in the lobby when we arrived and later a blue grass band played. Cookies were available every night as were other activities (I was sorry to miss roasting marshmallows!!).
Our room was a good size and had a mini-fridge and microwave. Everything was clean and comfortable. We had a lighted decoration over the tv (a foot pedal turned off the lights) and other Christmas decorations around the room. Our daughter's room had a lighted tree and a balcony (but a roof obstructed any view--this was mentioned at reservation time).
Breakfast was better than we expected. We ate on the patio one morning. Santa appeared the second morning. There was an omelet station, make your own pancakes and waffles, scrambled eggs, potatoes, ham and sausage, biscuits, pastries, juices, and lots more. Everything tasted great.
The grounds were a surprise. They created a calm oasis next to the busy street. They were meticulously kept with ponds and flowers to enjoy. The outdoor pool had a slide. The indoor pool and hot tub seemed more for adults.
The decor is over the top, of course, but in a tasteful way, if that's possible. it was fun and I'd stay there again even without children in tow. Three generations of us had a great time. Can't ask for more than that!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Striggs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a fantastic stay recently at the Christmas Inn. This place far exceeded my expectations. The place is super clean and the customer service far exceeds Disney in my opinion. The rooms were large and the beds were super comfy. Even though this is on the main strip in Pigeon Forge, we never heard any noise from the road or other rooms. This is a great place for families. My children loved the pool with the water slide. While we were there they had a marhsmallow roast, cookies at bedtime as well as a character that came out at breakfast time. We were a few minutes late to the marshmallow roast, however, one of the staff members went and got my son two roasters so he could still roast marshmallows. That was first class to me and made my son's evening. Then we were waiting for my husband in the lobby and the doorman came over to my children and handed them both a lollipop. They serve coffee and lemonade throughout the day in the lobby. There were so many breakfast choices. Even though they were busy, they were able to keep the lines flowing and keep the food stocked. Also, they have a walkway that connects to a fabulous restaurant, Bull Fish. We will definitely stay here again and can't wait to come back. It will be hard for another hotel to top this one, I would give it 10 stars if I could.

Room Tip: Add a balcony if you can that faces the mountains, towards The Island
3 Thank Tigerlilly37
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here August 3-6. Myself, my 10 y/o son, my mother and Aunt. The hotel was lovely, room was very clean and everyone on the staff was friendly - from the doormen, to the front desk, to the cleaning staff. We enjoyed the daily breakfast buffet - the wide variety of choices satisified everyone in our party. The outdoor pool has a mid-size water slide and my son had a good time swimming. There is an indoor pool and hot tub but the weather was great during our trip so we didn't use them. The location was good and there were several places to eat within walking distance but driving and parking around Pigeon Forge was no problem. This was our first trip to the area but won't be our last and I am sure we'll make this Inn our choice in the future as well. Nightly coffee/lemonade and cookies in the lobby was a nice touch. The room had a nice size fridge and we had a balcony as well. No complaints about this one! I picked it on the recommendation of a friend as well as the trip advisor reviews and was extremely pleased with the choice and value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank msblueyes32
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in August. We booked due to the ratings here, on TripAdvisor. We have stayed in more expensive hotels/rooms, and less expensive, and have had better experiences at other hotels. As we got into bed, our first night, on a 4th floor room we noticed a crusty substance/material dried onto the burgundy blanket on our bed. It was 10:30 p.m., and we were exhausted, so we threw it off of the bed and left a note asking for a clean one the following day. So, I guess they do not change or wash bed linens after prior use. We had booked this hotel due to ratings, but also partly due to the Christmas characters, because we have a four year-old that loves characters. We promised him that he'd see Santa two nights, and characters at breakfast, too. They advertise that Santa comes on Thursday and Saturday evenings, and sings. Thursday night we went by the front desk to see when Santa would arrive, but we were told by the lady at the front desk that he wasn't going to be here either Thursday or Saturday night. Then, we read the hotel information book in our room that mentioned avoiding the "Breakfast rush" around 9 a.m. So, we went to breakfast each morning around 8 or 8:30. And guess what? We saw NO characters. During the last breakfast we attended, before checking out, we finally passed a (dressed-up character) gingerbread man near the breakfast room, on our way back to our room to grab our luggage. We are very disappointed. Also, the room had a musty smell... almost as if the AC unit needed a cleaning, or the carpet needed a cleaning. The toilet seat, when opened and closed, was so dirty around the hinges, that it was leaving tiny dirty pieces, almost like crumbs, on the seat. I had to use a Lysol wipe (every time) before we sat down. I'm sorry, but it was just plain gross. For the price of the hotel, the least they could do is install new toilet seats, as needed.
The hotel web-site has false advertisement, as far as Santa and character appearances go. For families with children - what a big disappointment. I didn't choose this hotel for decorations, but for characters. I would not stay here again based on the dirty bed linens, smell in the rooms, dirty toilet seats, and false advertisement.
A smile from the front desk staff would be nice, once in awhile. For a Christmas Hotel they are so serious and matter of fact. The doormen are very cheerful and friendly, but I can't rave about any of the other staff members.
The location is decent, it is very busy around the hotel, but we expected that. If you are looking for a calm, quiet place - this is not it. As you can here traffic from your room late at night.
I wouldn't stay here again. The focus here IS on Christmas decorations. Yes, the hotel lobby is clean, and the hallways, but the rooms need a good deep cleaning (AC units, carpets, new toilet seats, clean linens), and the customer service is lacking.
Really disappointing!