“Motorcycle trip from hell”

Lodge at Mill Creek
Ranked #86 of 91 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Ball Ground, Georgia
“Motorcycle trip from hell”
Reviewed 27 September 2004

We took a man from our motorcycle group on a final ride because he is moving to Missouri. We rode through Tennessee and North Carolina and ended up in Pigeon Forge. That hotel room was the WORST I have ever been in. We put towels over the carpet to keep from walking on it, the tub was cracked and flexed so badly I thought that I would fall through. There were nail clippings on the floor close to the headboard as well as a cap to a juice bottle (that was only one side of one of the beds). The television only picked up the weather channel, there was no HBO or local channels. The contential breakfast was at another hotel down the block and the soap was from the Hampton Inn. There were not enough parking places, we had to park by the dumpster and got up 3 times during the night because trash was being picked up at other hotels and we were worried that our bike would be hit. The air conditioner turned on and off all night. The telephone had no face plate just buttons sticking up with the "guts" showing. I took pictures and will be sending them to the home office (if there is one). DON"T GO THERE !!!

3 Thank jpcandmdc
Mr_John_Black, General Manager at Lodge at Mill Creek, responded to this review, 22 February 2016
We are sad to hear that your stay was of bad standards from previous owners and management but we want you to know that since then we have made major improvements and welcome you to give us a try at being your home away from home while staying in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. We hope that you leave with a better view of our property than from previous experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 27 January 2004

My Family and I decided to go to Pigeon forge on Jan 23,2004 to spend the night away from home we love going to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. We try to go atleast 4 to 5 times a year. Maybe more. its about a 2 1/2 hour drive for us so its a great getaway even if its just for one night. We got there about 9pm and was searching for a room. We usually stay at Family Inn in Gatlinburg, But we were tired my two small children was getting restless. We spotted a family Inn judging by the reputation of the one we usually stay at we thought they would be a great place to stay. It was the family Inn across the street from a (BP) superette. I ask the price of the room. my kids wanted to play in a pool they are 4 and 7 I couldnt make them understand that there wasnt any Motels with a pool they could play in because of the time of year so I told them I would get them a room with a jacuzzi so they could play. well they let me have the room for $49 before taxes, We went up it was a clean room , let the kids play in the jacuzzi for awhile. then we had some dinner. About 11:30 pm we decided we would get ready for bed. My wife pulled back the sheets and complained of smelling a strong (Urine) odor. when I looked more closely at the bed there was a urine stain on the sheets. And it was dry, and had been dry for awhile. But the odor was terrible. We called the front desk and told the clerk about our findings a security gueard was sent up to the room to inspect the bed. They let us change rooms. I was told to inspect the room specifically the beds before I accepted it. I did so but did not find anything. Well we moved all of our stuff to theew room got ready to go to bed my wife turned over a pillow and there were black hairs all over the pillow case. appeared to be (pubic Hairs) I again called the front desk to complain. I was under the impression the desk clerk thought I was lying. She then replied "I swear to God the Linens are clean" its our housekeeper she is a short woman that has to practically stand on the beds to make them". I said let me discuss this with my wife.
Keeping in mind this was well after midnight at this time. we didnt call the front desk back. instead we went to the car got the kids extra pillows and blankets out of the car and slept on them. We didnt call the front desk back because it was obvious that housekeeping was just making the beds and not putting clean linens on the beds. I mean this is ridiculous. it was later found that the heat in the second bedroom did not work. so my and my son froze that night. Upon checkout the next morning I was checking out and another person was complaining about their room being dirty. Rm # 206, our room #'s were 330,337. If you take the time to read this then I strongly do not recommend this motel to anyone. its not fit for even a pet. But do not judge all Family Inns by this review. the one we usually stay in in Gatlinburg is really clean. And I was also charged 55 cents for the only thing that I can think of is using the phone. after all of this. Its apparent that Housekeeping, the staff, and owners do not care about the apperance of their rooms. at this particular family inn. I would nto recommend this family Inn at all.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Pigeon Forge hotels

Reviewed 1 December 2003

If you read other reviews on here, I am honest about what I say about the hotels. I try to stay at different ones and price is always a plus. I tried Family Inns East in May 2000. Would never stay at anyone of their hotels again. I only paid 39.77 that night but still it was horrible. The room was dirty and had peanut shell shoved under the bed and tables. Even found them under the blanket. Stayed on the backside next to the river at my request and the room looked like I had unlocked it for the first time in 20 years. Spider webs in the windows and curtains falling off the hooks. Never again I said. This hotel has 150+ rooms and I am sure they have never been booked a day in their history.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 October 2003

My wife and I go to Pidgeon Forge about twice a year to shop, and usually stay at one of the motels close to the Family Inn. Unfortunately for us, the only rooms available were at the Family Inn, so we booked one for the night of 10/18/03.

Their "advertised rate" was only for a 7-night stay for openers, and the rate we were charged was 4 times their "advertised rate". We were placed in a room that was so small that the bathroom and the sleeping area were almost the same size.

There was no remote for the television. There was no place to hang up our clothes and no place to put a suitcase, and the bed was so soft and springy that it bounced if you turned your head on the pillow. While you would expect clean sheets on the bed, it is not often you find a baby rattle in the middle of the bed, but we did...

The bed was positioned so that the foot of the bed was higher than the head end by about three to six inches, and if you watched television, you were looking through your feet if you were lying down. There were two extra blankets in the room, each filling up one of the drawers of the combination chest/entertainment center .

In the morning, I found bites on my arm where some type of insect had bitten me . Since they allow pets in the room, I would assume that they were fleas.

As someone who has travelled all over the country and to all types of venues, this was the worst room I have ever rented from what is supposed to be a reputable hotel chain. It most certainly will not happen again.

Sleeping in the car and using the bathroom at a restaurant would have been a more pleasant experience.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 January 2003

On December 27, 2002 I began attempting to locate a handicapped room in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, TN for the next night, December 28. I met numerous "full up" responses before a reservation clerk for Family Inns of America found a room to meet my needs at their Twin Mall facility. I was told the room was at the back of the building and when I inquired exactly what that meant, was told that it didn't face the street but the back of the building, nothing was said about it being a dungeon and not qualified to be called handicapped facility. I was told that my credit card would be charged the $89.77 whether we were there or not. When we claimed our reserved room, we discovered the room to be on the second floor (Room 209) at the far end away from the elevator, a dungeon of a room, dark as a tomb even with all lights turned on. The room was a box with NO windows. The bathroom had not one grab bar. The room was large enough except that there was a single "Hide-a-bed" type piece between the bathroom and the bed and I not enough room to get the wheelchair in place by the bed and I hurt my back trying to move that heavy piece of furniture out of the way. The one handicapped parking slot was far away from elevator and was usually occupied when we needed it. My head should be examined for not heading back home right then but it was afternoon and I might not have made it back home safely. Later I sorely regretted not having turned on my heels and out of there. The desk clerk was surly and rude, a rather large blonde woman who has no business in a service position of such a business. I was invited to park in a vacant lot back of the building. When I inquired about parking in one of the several empty spaces by the office, I was told that those were reserved for the staff and that I would surely be blocked in the following morning. (Actually, the following morning all spaces there were still empty.) $89.77 for such a room! Unbelievable! And unbelievable that we stayed in it. As I checked out the Manager was not there. I asked for the Corporate address and was given a 1.5"x 2" Post-it with the name "Crystal" and phone # 865-453-4988 as the place to register my complaint. I have not found Crystal available when I have tried to reach her. If she is as "helpful" as the Desk Clerk was, it is probably just as well.

My husband and I realized on December 27 that he had no therapists scheduled over the weekend and that, yes, we might be able to get a night away from home. A handicap room is a necessity as my husband is seventy-seven years old (I, 73) and is disabled. He cannot walk or even stand alone and hasn't for more than three years. The bathroom of room #209 was an accident waiting to happen to us or any other handicapped person. I lay awake in that monstrous room wondering how we would get out if there were a fire or something requiring evacuation. We have always enjoyed getting over to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area at every opportunity, but we have a bad taste in our memory from this most recent visit.

I believe we were used and abused by this Inn.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 December 2002

I recently went to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for a day of shopping. I usually go to Pigeon Forge 6 to 8 times a year. Some of my trips are for business but most are some shopping and pleasure. I have stayed at many hotels but the Family Inns- East, 3785 Parkway was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. The room was awful, the curtains were only hanging by a few hooks. I had to pin them together for privacy. The carpet was nasty, room smelled as if it had been shut up for years, cigarettee burns on all the furniture, even the bathtub. Lucky I had a candle to burn!! Staying at a hotel like this would almost make a person not even want to go to Pigeon Forge. I just wander how a hotel in this condition can even pass any safety inspections. Hotels in this condition should not be able to operate.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member