“Was okay..”

Ranked #24 of 90 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
NC
“Was okay..”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We stayed at Valley Forge Inn just last month. I had read reviews on Tripadvisor and decided we would give it a try, options were limited as every other place I checked was booked. We had 2 adults and 2 children 13 and 5. Check-in was super easy, all of 5 minutes and we were on our way to our room. Room claimed to have a view of the river, no not really. There is a large parking lot that you have then way out past the parking lot off in the distance is the river which we could not see from the balcony. We were not planning to be in our room that much so the view did not matter really, although it would had been nice to see the river, BUT to those who think they will be viewing the river and that is important to you, you won't!! We did have a private balcony which not all the rooms have. The room was a basic 2 double bed room. Nothing fancy at all, so do not expect upscale 5 star, it is not. It is an average 2-3 star. We feel the place could use some fixing up but we were not expecting 5 stars either so we were okay with it. Had mini fridge, microwave in room. Everything worked, iron, hairdryer , coffee maker, and etc. The only real thing we could see that needed attention was in the bathroom. The ceiling had small areas of broken pieces or rotted away pieces aboce the shower and corners above shower needed fixing along ceiling. Otherwise for us, it was a tolerable clean room. No obvious uncleanliness and no bugs to be seen which is an added bonus any hotel you go to in my opinion. I have stayed at very fancy hotels and found bugs! Do not walk on carpets bare footed unless you want dirty feet, turned the kids socks very dirty on the bottoms even though the carpet appeared clean, but I think that is most places you go. I always take bedroom slippers to wear. The beds we all really liked, very comfortable to all 4 of us! I think they had like a bed topper or something on the mattress, it is the first time ever in all my years of travel that I can say I really was very comfortable in the bed, my husband would say the same thing and he is a truck driver so he has been in many a hotel in his life. I am sure it would not be right for everyone but for us and the kids we all thought the beds were very comfortable and we all slept great. They gave us 4 pillows to each bed which was great! We had no stains or rips or anything on the sheets or pillowcases and the bed covers seemed okay. Standard bed covers, we always fold down and do not use anyway. There was an extra blanket in the dressor if needed. Air conditioning in room worked fine and was not too loud or have any musty smell while running, and the room did not have any odd odors. Was a non-smoking room and thankfully that is what we got, could not smell any smoke at all in the room like some places. Room had a small table and 2 chairs to sit. I took my laptop and could not connect to the wi-fi at all! I tried out on balcony and in room and nothing, signal was too weak. My son tried connecting using his PSP and still nothing, most likely would have to be in the lobby but I was not willing to sit in lobby to try to have private conversations via Skype with anyone around. There is no toilet seat on the toilet so it was extemely difficult to find a way to put your clothes in the bathroom while you took a shower and them not fall into the toilet. It is a small bathroom. Only had towel rack and nothing else to hang your clothes on. Would suggest they put a few bathroom hooks on back of door. Shower head was nice and clean, been to a few that made me cringe to even shower, and the water pressure was great! Had plenty of hot water and trust me I tested it. I ended up getting a migraine and the water pressure was absolutely amazing for any migraine sufferer and I took an hour long shower at least and never ran out of hot water and the water pressure helped my migraine! Did not have a chance to try out the pools, but saw many people swimming. They have a channel dedicated to viewing the pool so if you have OLDER kids that can go alone to the pool you can watch them BUT then ANYONE in the hotel can sit and watch anyone swim in the pool too so I am not sure how I feel about that given the type of people that we share this world with that have bad intentions. Breakfast, they had cereal or muffins to which a lady that was there beside me was picking up each muffin, looking over, then would put back until she found the one she liked! She was not the only one handling the muffins with her hands. No juices to drink either milk was only offered, you do have coffee in your room to make so if you want coffee that is an option. Cornflakes and I think it was fruitloops was our options of cereal and nothing else besides the muffins, that honestly did not look too appetizing. Would really had been nice to had been offered juice and a slightly more array of breakfast items but it is what it is. There are no lock safes in the rooms which I really did not think to ask about before hand and did worry about all of our expensive items we had to leave in the room but nothing was ever messed with. Did not see the maids to know nice or not but everything was always cleaned and taken care of. Had 4 individual packs of standard hotel shampoo, had 1 bar of soap at sink and 1 in bathroom, had extra roll of toilet paper in bathroom. You have 4 towels and washclothes so if you need extra might want to ask upon arriving. Plenty of parking, we were able to park in the back and watch our vehicle from our room. Location, there was a go-kart place directly across the street, a diner next door, TGI Fridays across the street, couple pankcake places nearby, the comedy barn right next door all within walking distance, and up the street were some other go-kart places with arcades, and on up the road furthur were The Titanic, Wonderworks, mini-golf, shopping center, zip-lines, and other things but you must drive to get to them. Walking distance to gift shops, not really besides The Three Bears giftshop which we really thought was a nice giftshop with reasonable prices. There is a gem mining place beside the Three Bears gift shop and an ice-cream place too. We "thought" we would walk and find gift shops but all we did was about kill over from heat exhaustion and found really you have to drive to get to most things besides those right next door.Gatlinburg is the place to walk along the shops, Pigeon Forge is mostly drive to attractions and the such. We had no disturbances or anything of the type while there, but we did have an end room in a corner which we really liked. We were able to get a peaceful nights sleep. Check-out was just as easy. Make sure you grab some brochures, we found $2 off Ripley's Aquarium admission, Three Bears giftshop discounts, go-kart discounts, and much more and saved a lot of money. Overall, the place is a basic 2-3 star that was bug free, comfortable beds, clean, so to us it was okay. If your looking for a basic hotel then this place is it, if you want fancier or 4-5 stars this is not the place for you. I would recommend this place to anyone searching for a basic hotel but not to those who are used to more upscale places. For us, it was an okay place with no bad experiences.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank shnncof
valleyforgeinn, General Manager at Valley Forge Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
I believe this is one of the most thorough reviews that I have ever read on TripAdvisor; I think that the Travel Channel could take pointers from this guest's review! I did want to address three negatives brought up in the review... I agree that all of the bathrooms should have either a towel rack or a robe hook, and we will go through every room to make sure that one or the other is provided. The breakfast room does have tongs for use in selecting muffins, danishes, honey buns or donuts; we do have an attendant in the breakfast room, but I don't think she would be able to monitor every person that reaches into the display case...unfortunately, some people just don't always use good hygiene or etiquette, but we will make sure that the tongs are more easily accesssible and visible. Finally, there are several more drink options than just coffee or milk....we have apple juice, orange juice, hot tea, and hot chocolate. I'm not sure how the juice machine was overlooked, but it is located right next to the coffee and milk machines.
Again, this is one of the most thorough reviews I have read, and I appreciate the guest's honesty; we will take these comments and work on our end to correct any shortcomings.

----Joseph Cole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Logan, WV
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My husband and I and our 6 yr old decided to take a trip to Pigeon Forge at the last minute for Memorial Weekend 2011 and we always stay on Douglas Lake but this time was different. I had a friend tell us about Valley Forge Inn so I decided to call and check the rates. I'll admit, I was skeptical because the rates were so good that I was scared of what we were getting ourselves into. Needless to say, it was one of the best times we have ever had in TN and we go a couple times a year. The hotel was so clean, including the pool areas, it was very quiet and it appeared that every single room was booked, and the front desk staff was absolutely exceptional! The location was just perfect! We were in walking distance of several attractions and restaurants. We have traveled a lot through the last year, not by choice, but because lots of Dr appts., and we have never met staff that were so friendly. These people made us feel at home and we just can't thank them enough for that. We will definitely be back to stay at Valley Forge Inn. I'm a very picky person and I couldn't find anything whatsoever that wasn't just perfect with our stay. I mean you couldn't even find a piece of dust in the room! Thanks so much to everyone at Valley Forge Inn for making our Memorial weekend mini vacation a wonderful experience!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lovingtn
Weaverville, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Nice, clean hotel. Our room was quite large, and we chose to stay in the rear where we had a view of the river. If we had kids, we might have picked one of the rooms that overlooked either the indoor or outdoor pool.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WNCWoman
Bluff City, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 March 2011

we go there every time the pool is nice and clean nice hot tub rooms very clean nice service every time we came back by at least 10:00 pm our room was done tooken care of definatly going back april 29th pool is huge we love it rooms are very huge beds are very clean not like any motel we have went to before

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank redhead10_11
Corinth, Ms
Reviewed 28 January 2011

We have been going to the Smokies for many years in January when it is not so crowded and to see the decorations. A friend recommended Valley Forge Inn to us and for the past four or five years we have stayed there. It is a wonderful place, clean, quiet, all the accomadations you could ask for, friendly, kind, helpful staff. The rooms are large and we love having the fridge, microwave, hairdryer and other comforts of home available. This year the rooms had been redone and were even nicer. We are so thankful to have found this wonderful place and highly recommend it to others who are planning to go the mountains.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeggyhCorinth_Ms
Mars Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We had a wonderful time at this hotel. The check-in was quick and easy, and when we got to our room when you opened the door it was a smell of a clean room. It was a very spaceious, and the bed was great. The staff was great....aspecially the breakfast lady. This all made our weekend get-away one to remember..

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Stanford
Reviewed 12 December 2010

My husband and I went to the mountains for a weekend getaway and found this hotel. The room was very clean, and the staff was great so friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back. I would recomend this hotel to couples and familys to. It was well worth the money.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple