“Ages 7-82 in a family of 7 all enjoyed it equally.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rocky Mount Museum
Weston, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Ages 7-82 in a family of 7 all enjoyed it equally.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 7 which includes a 7 year old, a 10 year old, a 20 year old, 2 parents (not disclosing our ages!) and 2 grandparents in 70s/80s. We arrived a little after 11 am on a Wednesday and the place was empty other than another (elderly) couple that arrived at the same time. We paid our admission (senior & AAA discounts by the way) and were told it is best to use the restroom first since the tour was 1-2 hours. The restroom was spotless. Very nice bonus. You start in the theater where they show a brief movie on the history of the house and the area. It was very informative and interesting for all of us (well maybe not my 7 year old the whole time but most of the time at least). You are then led to the back door of the newer building and told you are going back in time to 1791. You are told to follow the path to the front door of the Cobb's house and to knock. (By the way, photography is only allowed outside and you spend the majority of your tour inside).

On the tour, you visit the main room, the sleeping quarters, the children's room, the office, the kitchen, the dining room and the spinning room. I'm sure I'm missing something or I have renamed something but my point is that it was a good number of rooms and a nice variety. You are given lots of good information in an easy to understand format, the "characters" are all so nice and welcoming and informed, you get to touch things and the children were able to interact, and you can ask lots of questions.

The downside was that it was hot and this is 1791 where there's no AC. The windows were open but not much of a breeze. There are seats in some rooms but not all. No food or drinks are allowed inside. Plan accordingly. :)

Well worth our visit. Staff could not have been nicer. I also like the gift shop. Very reasonable prices. Children's items were 75 cents to $5. Unheard of at other museums/tourist destinations. That was very much appreciated. I probably won't be back because this was more of a one-time thing BUT I highly recommend it for school-age children or adults. :) Well worth the visit!

Visited July 2013

Jackson, Mississippi
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Interactive and fun!! Plus we learned something!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We love Williamsburg, VA, and Rocky Mount is like a little slice of Williamsburg. The characters are all dressed in 1700 fashion and they remain true to their part and time period. Even if you attempt to ask a question that would require they step outside of character you will get a funny response--this happened several times! We began in the museum which is full of great items and information. Soon you are led into the theater room where a video is shown explaining who the Cobbs were and their importance in history. This awed me since I didn't realize some of the significance (I do not want to give too much away!). After the movie you walk down the path to the main house and you are welcomed inside. This is where the real fun began!! We were greeted by Mr. Cobb's cousin Arthur who was entertaining and gave us great information. He also picked on my 17 year old daughter for not being ready to wed since she did not know how to bake bread! You are taken through the whole house and there are lots of articles you actually are able to touch. Next we were led to the kitchen and once again we were entertained with wonderful stories and interesting facts. After a look at the garden we were shown to the area with the looms and soon we were allowed to wander about. The grounds were smaller than I expected but they were well kept and beautiful. The website states to allow 1-2 hours but i suggest at least 3 hours. We were still in the house area at the 1 hour mark. Pricing is very reasonable and this stop was well worth the effort!!

Visited July 2013
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wooly days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Visit was educational interesting interactive fun for the whole family even teens and adults will find this to be a neat experience.great place to spend a weekend day. Prices are a value as well.

Visited April 2013
Elizabethton, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Love it, very historic.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is a must see. Very historic homestead from the late 1700's lovingly restored and peopled with actors in the proper garb for the period. Some of them do a great job of speaking in pioneer English too.

Visited August 2012
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun for kids and adults”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

We went on the fourth of July for a reading of the Declaration of Independence and was there again twice in September for school field trips. Each time was a great experience. The Living History actors obviously love what they do and are so informative. My son got to cast a pewter musket ball which is a prized possession. They learned a lot and had fun at the same time.

Visited July 2012