“Rocky Mount State Historical Area (and Nazi German War Shrine)”
Review of Rocky Mount Museum

Rocky Mount Museum
Elizabethton, Tennessee
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Rocky Mount State Historical Area (and Nazi German War Shrine)”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I visited the Tennessee taxpayer Rocky Mount State Historical Area for my first time to see a special event and arrived inside the visitors lobby where I witnessed a large display of Nazi Germany war materials (with perhaps a sprinkling of United States military items as to avoid the "Nazi Shrine" tag) that was most decidedly out of historical context with Rocky Mount being the 1790-1792 capital of the U.S. Southwestern Territory --- the tiles on the lobby floor were also laid out in a pattern repeating a variation of the German Iron Cross medal.

Visited January 2013

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“WHAT a delight!! This is MUST see for any history buff”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was thoroughly impressed by this place. To be honest, when I drove up, I was not sure this would be an afternoon well spent. But I was wrong! The museum is top notch. And the historical home tour is amazing. The guides are fantastic. I cannot recommend highly enough -- go!!

Visited September 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Rocky Mount”
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

The introduction video was cute and informative. The actors stayed in character very well, and they took us through a very in-depth tour of the area. The characters explained how everything worked, how things were done at that time, and they were able to answer every question we could throw at them. Although there was not A huge amount for us to do but listen, we found it entertaining and enlightening. I would definitely recommend the Rocky Mount Museum.

Visited August 2013
Union, New Jersey
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“It's small but the people were nice”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The people are what made it they were knowledgeable and very friendly but it is only a small place not alot to do, but alot of history if you like that not something that kids would stay with if they are very active. We were 4 adults and it was fine.

Visited July 2013
Weston, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Ages 7-82 in a family of 7 all enjoyed it equally.”
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 7 which includes a 7 year old, a 10 year old, a 20 year old, 2 parents (not disclosing our ages!) and 2 grandparents in 70s/80s. We arrived a little after 11 am on a Wednesday and the place was empty other than another (elderly) couple that arrived at the same time. We paid our admission (senior & AAA discounts by the way) and were told it is best to use the restroom first since the tour was 1-2 hours. The restroom was spotless. Very nice bonus. You start in the theater where they show a brief movie on the history of the house and the area. It was very informative and interesting for all of us (well maybe not my 7 year old the whole time but most of the time at least). You are then led to the back door of the newer building and told you are going back in time to 1791. You are told to follow the path to the front door of the Cobb's house and to knock. (By the way, photography is only allowed outside and you spend the majority of your tour inside).

On the tour, you visit the main room, the sleeping quarters, the children's room, the office, the kitchen, the dining room and the spinning room. I'm sure I'm missing something or I have renamed something but my point is that it was a good number of rooms and a nice variety. You are given lots of good information in an easy to understand format, the "characters" are all so nice and welcoming and informed, you get to touch things and the children were able to interact, and you can ask lots of questions.

The downside was that it was hot and this is 1791 where there's no AC. The windows were open but not much of a breeze. There are seats in some rooms but not all. No food or drinks are allowed inside. Plan accordingly. :)

Well worth our visit. Staff could not have been nicer. I also like the gift shop. Very reasonable prices. Children's items were 75 cents to $5. Unheard of at other museums/tourist destinations. That was very much appreciated. I probably won't be back because this was more of a one-time thing BUT I highly recommend it for school-age children or adults. :) Well worth the visit!

Visited July 2013