“Historic”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Historic”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Rocky Mount is the first settlement in the New Territory and a very historic place to visit. It was the first home established in the area which is now the state of Tennessee. I love to go to the Candlelight Christmas in December, only 2 weekends, when Christmas is celebrated as it would have been in 1791 when the William Cobb Family lived here. Reservations are required and refreshments are served at the Christmas Celebration. Other festivities throughout the year include Wolly Days (sheep shearing) in the Spring as well as other things and the Museum is very educational.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Linda H

Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Family experience”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The last time our family visited RM was over the holidays. Recommend this attraction as an introduction to the early history of TN.

Visited May 2013
Elizabethton, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Rocky Mount State Historical Area (and Nazi German War Shrine)”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I visited the Tennessee taxpayer Rocky Mount State Historical Area for my first time to see a special event and arrived inside the visitors lobby where I witnessed a large display of Nazi Germany war materials (with perhaps a sprinkling of United States military items as to avoid the "Nazi Shrine" tag) that was most decidedly out of historical context with Rocky Mount being the 1790-1792 capital of the U.S. Southwestern Territory --- the tiles on the lobby floor were also laid out in a pattern repeating a variation of the German Iron Cross medal.

Visited January 2013
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“WHAT a delight!! This is MUST see for any history buff”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was thoroughly impressed by this place. To be honest, when I drove up, I was not sure this would be an afternoon well spent. But I was wrong! The museum is top notch. And the historical home tour is amazing. The guides are fantastic. I cannot recommend highly enough -- go!!

Visited September 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Rocky Mount”
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

The introduction video was cute and informative. The actors stayed in character very well, and they took us through a very in-depth tour of the area. The characters explained how everything worked, how things were done at that time, and they were able to answer every question we could throw at them. Although there was not A huge amount for us to do but listen, we found it entertaining and enlightening. I would definitely recommend the Rocky Mount Museum.

Visited August 2013