“Great Place To Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Portland
Huntsville, Alabama
“Great Place To Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for several years. The rooms are super clean....Also the beds are very comfortable. They fill up fast on the weekends so I always make my reservations very early in my travel schedule. The food next door at Brewsters is awesome, but dont go there if your on a diet.. ;). They have great pizza and Sandwiches, especially the Burgers. Try their Catfish Nuggets also.
The location of this hotel is great for Nashville as well as visiting various areas in Kentucky.
I wil be staying at this hotel as long as my travels take me through this area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Racine, Wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I can't say enough nice things about this hotel!

I found it quite by accident, literally. I was on my was to Florida when my transmission blew out on I65, in the pouring rain. After a few minutes of panicking and some hysterical phone calls to friends and family back home, I got off at the next exit and pulled into the first hotel I found, which was this one.

The front desk staff was extremely nice and even gave me the name and address of a local mechanic. The room was comfortable and clean. The breakfast was hearty and delicious. The next morning I checked out and took my car to the mechanic. Unfortunately is was going to take a few days of work on my car, I called and told them I needed to check back in for a few days and they offered to send someone to pick me up at the mechanic and give me a ride!! Talk about service.

They were pretty booked, so I was stuck with and handicapped accessible. Not that big of a deal, though I prefer baths to showers and the accessible room had no tub. Again, room clean and comfortable. When my car was ready, they even provided me a ride to get my car! The front desk staff as well as the restaurant staff was so sweet and accommodating.

Of all the places I could've been stranded, this one was a lucky find. Thank you to the all staff, and in particular Rochelle, for making what could've been a stressful situation much better then it could've been.

I stopped back in on my way back from Florida and received the same amazing service as well.

Room Tip: Try the pizza
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank VonClimax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have stayed at this Hotel many times over the past year. The rooms are clean, the front desk clerks are always very helpful when you need anything and it is a very convenient place to stay with the restaurant in the same building. I once lost my wedding ring somehow in my room overnight and it was found by the cleaning staff and returned to me! That is amazing!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Berkeley, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Randomly stopped while driving home from cruise. Great spacious handicap room! Nicer than the Hilton we were vacationing at.
Comfy queen beds, choice of hard or soft pillows - $85.
Front desk clerk happy friendly, very welcoming.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

This is a typical chain hotel with some features that boost it up above average. The price is lower than usual for a large comfortable suite. The front desk clerk was cheerful, efficient and helpful. The bed was superb, with a firm mattress under a comfy pillow top. Everything was clean and well kept though the bathroom is showing some wear. Average to good breakfast. The attached restaurant delivered to my room though the food was mediocre at best. I'd stay here again but wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

• Stayed January 2014
Elmhurst, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Got to the hotel after driving from Nashville in the pouring rain at 9:15pm with 3 tired kids in the car, only to find there was a "maintenance problem" and there was not a room for us! They tried calling at 2:33pm to my home phone in Illinois which obviously we were not home. They made a reservation for us at a Best western Plus, not even another choice hotel group hotel, 15 miles south of where we just came from! We did not stay and elected to drive 7 hours at night back home. I would never give this hotel another opportunity again. I would chose another Comfort Suites somewhere else! Phoned management, never got a personal call back only a form letter email saying sorry for the inconvenience. Really, I don't believe there was a maintenance problem at all, I think they overbooked and we got the shaft!

Room Tip: Choose a more highly populated area off I65South and a hotel with no maintenance issues!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DAS719
Cranberry Township PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Please note that this hotel is also reviewed under Comfort Suites, Portland TN.

This stay was so bad it was almost comical. My preschool daughter puked in the front lobby. We cleaned the mess and threw paper towels in the nearby garbage. I informed the front desk...only to be told that the clerk can't handle vomit and asked, "can you clean it yourself?" He LITERALLY threw me two towels, showed me where to put them in the hotel laundry, and had me take the garbage bag out to the dumpster.

The sheets in our room were full of holes. The next day, I arrived in the room with now two very sick kids, linens removed and the housekeeper working in another room. I asked the housekeeper if she could make the bed because the kids were sick. She nodded and never came back. I found her an hour later and asked again. It was then I realized that she didn't speak English. She was very nice but didn't understand a word I said. She came with sheets and I helped her make the bed. Sheets clean, full of holes.

The same front desk clerk was there working for most of our stay. Not sure if he is the manager or not. Its hard to tell because he is either crouched behind the front desk texting or talking to someone on his cell phone ("cell-phone clerk").

We called to order room service...typically "room service" means that THEY deliver your food to your room. I don't usually order room service but because of the sick kids...I thought I would give it a try. About 45 minutes after placing the order, "cell-phone clerk" arrived at my door to have me sign the receipt. When he went to leave I asked if he was bringing food. He had no food, just the bill for me to sign. About a half hour later, I called the restaurant only to be told by the rude female clerk that "room service" means that I was supposed to pick up the food. However, she said that the manager would be bringing up our food. "Cell phone clerk" (who may also be the restaurant manager...not sure) delivered the food. Cold food. Drink order wrong. Whatever...he may have had a text to answer.

The room rates are reasonable but not really worth it. We have stayed there three times. The last time, the waffle batter was rancid. The location is good for us, so we thought we would give it a try again. You know what they say, "First time, shame on you. Second time, shame on me." Third time, shame on Comfort Suites for allowing the "management" of this facility to operate under their name. Its a bummer because this could be a nice little hotel

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Hampton Inn White House
#2 of 10 in Franklin
Comfort Inn & Suites Franklin
Holiday Inn Express White House
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Goodlettsville

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!