“A fun family adventure.”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had purchased a night's stay from a fundraising event for Down Syndrome Awareness. My family of 5 had a great time. They had a Christmas charm at the River Lodge which is where I would recommend staying. At the indoor waterpark we enjoyed the wave pool and some water slides. After 2 hours there we ran out of things to do. A few of the activities were down for maintenance. The next morning we visited the arcade. We used a card to play games which was not very convenient splitting up the credits amongst 3 kids. The cost comes down to $1-2 per game which is kind of steep to me. We ate at the buffet which says kids eat free with purchase of one adult entrée. They don't mention the adult entrée costs $19 and the food isn't very good.

Room Tip: If you're visiting the waterpark I would recommend staying at the River Lodge for the convenienc...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Morgan Y

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I attended a business conference here in November. It was an easy drive from Virginia. Took about 8 hours. This place is beautiful. HUGE!! I was very impressed. But it kind of stopped there. We checked in, and you signed off on all these waivers. My guess is because there's a waterpark, there are liabilities. But I found that rather odd. Whatever, it's their policy. We drove up to our hotel which was up a hill. We were told to get a coupon book from the sales desk. Little did I realize that desk was manned by a timeshare salesman. So after 20 minutes of his sales pitch, I declined his offer and finally got to my room. The room was rather old. We brought my mother at the last minute, but unfortunately we could not get a handicapped accessible room. The bathroom was very tiny. You could barely close the door. Very strange set up. The restaurants there? Awful. There is a buffet and both restaurants, and they are not worth the money. The options were limited and service was less than stellar. When they set the table, I noticed there were no spoons or knives. A waitress told me they recently stopped putting knives on the table. Huh? I don't know. The waterpark was pretty cool. Crowded, but cool. You will wait in long lines for the thrill rides...at least on weekends when more people arrive and people not staying at the hotel use the facility. But it was okay. I'd probably go back, but not sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Clean, beautiful rooms, friendly staff. Stayed over thanksgiving and everyone was delightful! Waterpark was fun and they had Santa there (he was adorable), carolers and christmas crafts for the kids. Very entertaining!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My family stayed at the stone lodge part of Wilderness this visit. It was $50 less mainly because it wasn't attached to the inside water park. That was not a problem for us. The room was very nice. The shuttle was less then a 5 minute wait and literally took 3 minutes to get there. The water was colder than I expected. A little too cold for us but we had fun. I got a $25 off the room rate code on Facebook so be sure to check that first.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank jminar
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

We were 5 adults, and we had a great time. It's close to everything. The only thing missing was a fine dining restaurant , but there were many close so it really wasn't a problem. Over all we loved it!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Debra V
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is a great great place for kids of any age. The indoor water park and Adventure Land were wonderful for Thanksgiving cause you never know what the weather will be like on the Beach. However, the Thirsty Miner Restaurant was just awful. Kids eat free but the buffet is $18 so you end of up paying for them anyway. The food was the absolute worst I have ever eaten and I couldn't' even eat the Thanksgiving buffet - the turkey was a pressed loaf and the rest of the food was just as awful. This is a shameful thing this day and time. Pillows are huge and hard, like sleeping on cement bricks. Otherwise, this is a fun place for 3 nights and 2 ay stay in the winter, probably more in the summer when the outdoor water parks are operational. Lifeguards were terrific and plentiful. I will go again, but I won't eat there for sure, and I'll bring my own pillow!!

Room Tip: No running allowed in halls, but this is not enforced. Don't know if there is a better option...
1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We came here to celebrate our daughter's 10th birthday and the overall experience was positive.
We booked late and ended up booking one of their new Sanctuary Villas located about one mile off of the main building. Our daughter brought a friend from school and the three-room combination suites in the main lodge were not available. Their rooms are designed to handle 6 guests in a single room but I wanted my daughter and friend to have some private space.

I had to wait about five minutes for a front desk clerk to check me in but they were friendly. I requested to get my keys and not have to listen to some hustler try and sell me a time share. The lady honored my request and I saved myself from having to tell the time share rep that I am not stupid enough to fall for that.

Sanctuary Villa 116 was beautiful. Their "villas" are actually more like condos as the walls to our villa were contiguous with our neighbors. They are not stand alone houses. However we did not hear our neighbors and there was plenty of privacy.

My only real complaint about the Villa was we ran out of hot water. The water heater was set on energy saver mode. Good for pot-smoking tree-hugging hippie Marxist environmentalist Obamatards; but bad for bathing. Thankfully the Obamatards have yet to hide the setting on the heater and I changed it to regular "Smart" mode and the hot water problem was alleviated. If the environazis ever take this away, I would have to boil water on the stove to have enough. There were only six of us and the place can handle a maximum of 16.

The kitchen has a monster fridge that worked well, They are well stocked with plates, glasses, pots and pans. The oven and stove are there as well as a microwave. If you want to cook for yourself, this is the place to stay (as long as the hot water is available).

There is a pool table and dart board in the game room.

There were five televisions, each in working order. There were DVD players also, although we did not use them. They looked to be in good shape.

The bedrooms were nice with plenty of bedding and covers.

The bathrooms were in good shape.

They have a walk-in closet that would qualify as an apartment in some countries. It has bedding for the fold-out sofas and a safe. There is also an ironing board and iron.

The washer and dryer were in working order and were a great feature in our minds. We washed and dried clothes so as to have very little laundry.

They did not have any plastic glasses or plates. If you have small kids, bring a few so you do not have to worry about giving a little one a glass.

The indoor water park was very nice and not as crowded as last time. My kids had fun. Get there early in the a.m. when it opens and you will get worn out before it gets filled up.

The indoor Adventure Playground was a very good addition to the place and we did this on Sunday after checkout and before we left. We bought the all-stay pass and it was worth it for all the activities that were available. The ropes course was especially nice.

The reason that I did not give it a 5 has to do with the hot water, my experience with the reservations process, and my experience 2 years ago in the restaurant. When we reserved the villa and indoor playground passes, we got a confirmation number without any detail as to what we purchased. I called the reservations office and they confirmed that it all went through, but the agent did not appreciate me as a customer and I think I annoyed them by calling. The hot water was explained above. The housekeeping staff, who was extremely friendly and got us our towels, would be wise to change the heater to regular mode before a group checks in. Of course, this extra 25 cents of power consumption may anger the great leader.

We did not eat the restaurants this time because on a trip in early 2012, I had to pay $2 for a glass of milk so I could have milk in my oatmeal. If they ever add milk and juice to the breakfast buffet, I will give it another try. However I found their restaurants to be poor value and the milk thing still gets under my skin a bit. I understand if someone finds it crazy that I pay what I did for the villa for two nights and then complain about a $2 glass of milk. All I can say is that God gave me the ability to pay for the villa because I try not to waste money.

One last thing. if you are going down the tube slide at the water park in a two person tube, put your butt in the tube low enough to not be top heavy. Me and my daughter fell over in the tube. I have an arm bruise and she bumped her head to where it hurt for about three days. Thankfully all is well and I will go on the slide again. I just will make sure to have my fat butt in the tube more and lean back so as to not be so top heavy. I do not mind the arm bruise, but head knocks can be serious. Thankfully this time all was well.

Will I come back here? If I have the money and God allows, yes. This is a nice place. I think that I will come back in the summer to see what it is like with both outdoor and indoor attractions available.

Room Tip: If you have a large group, get a villa or book ahead and get a three-room suite. Each room is a stan...
3  Thank Shankaracharya