“Waterpark is awesome, however....”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Joppa, Maryland
“Waterpark is awesome, however....”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The water park is the shining star at this resort. Loved that there was a closed off area for smaller children. We would like to come back during the warmer months to be able to take advantage of the outdoor water activities. The lifeguards were very alert and seemed like they were everywhere.
The rooms were fine however the corners on the bed frames are a horrible shin killer. Even though they are rounded my husband and I (as well as our 2 year old son) ran into them several times throughout the stay. I think the issue is that the bed frame sticks out a lot farther than the mattress/box spring.
The buffet at the Thirsty Miner is not worth the money. You are better off ordering from the menu or brining your own food (make sure you bring pots/pans as they were not supplied). We were there for the Thanksgiving dinner and it was not good at all. The turkey was some sort of pressed loaf and had very little taste.
The deli/coffee shop was great in both customer service and food/beverage quality. Coffee baristas were wonderful and we were always pleased with our lattes. The made to order sandwiches were very good and plentiful.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this resort to family/friends. Especially those with children.

2 Thank Raegan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Thai first
Sweetwater, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had purchased a night's stay from a fundraising event for Down Syndrome Awareness. My family of 5 had a great time. They had a Christmas charm at the River Lodge which is where I would recommend staying. At the indoor waterpark we enjoyed the wave pool and some water slides. After 2 hours there we ran out of things to do. A few of the activities were down for maintenance. The next morning we visited the arcade. We used a card to play games which was not very convenient splitting up the credits amongst 3 kids. The cost comes down to $1-2 per game which is kind of steep to me. We ate at the buffet which says kids eat free with purchase of one adult entrée. They don't mention the adult entrée costs $19 and the food isn't very good.

Room Tip: If you're visiting the waterpark I would recommend staying at the River Lodge for the convenienc...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Morgan Y
Virginia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I attended a business conference here in November. It was an easy drive from Virginia. Took about 8 hours. This place is beautiful. HUGE!! I was very impressed. But it kind of stopped there. We checked in, and you signed off on all these waivers. My guess is because there's a waterpark, there are liabilities. But I found that rather odd. Whatever, it's their policy. We drove up to our hotel which was up a hill. We were told to get a coupon book from the sales desk. Little did I realize that desk was manned by a timeshare salesman. So after 20 minutes of his sales pitch, I declined his offer and finally got to my room. The room was rather old. We brought my mother at the last minute, but unfortunately we could not get a handicapped accessible room. The bathroom was very tiny. You could barely close the door. Very strange set up. The restaurants there? Awful. There is a buffet and both restaurants, and they are not worth the money. The options were limited and service was less than stellar. When they set the table, I noticed there were no spoons or knives. A waitress told me they recently stopped putting knives on the table. Huh? I don't know. The waterpark was pretty cool. Crowded, but cool. You will wait in long lines for the thrill rides...at least on weekends when more people arrive and people not staying at the hotel use the facility. But it was okay. I'd probably go back, but not sure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Clean, beautiful rooms, friendly staff. Stayed over thanksgiving and everyone was delightful! Waterpark was fun and they had Santa there (he was adorable), carolers and christmas crafts for the kids. Very entertaining!

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My family stayed at the stone lodge part of Wilderness this visit. It was $50 less mainly because it wasn't attached to the inside water park. That was not a problem for us. The room was very nice. The shuttle was less then a 5 minute wait and literally took 3 minutes to get there. The water was colder than I expected. A little too cold for us but we had fun. I got a $25 off the room rate code on Facebook so be sure to check that first.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank jminar
Church Hill, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

We were 5 adults, and we had a great time. It's close to everything. The only thing missing was a fine dining restaurant , but there were many close so it really wasn't a problem. Over all we loved it!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Debra V
Mountain City, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is a great great place for kids of any age. The indoor water park and Adventure Land were wonderful for Thanksgiving cause you never know what the weather will be like on the Beach. However, the Thirsty Miner Restaurant was just awful. Kids eat free but the buffet is $18 so you end of up paying for them anyway. The food was the absolute worst I have ever eaten and I couldn't' even eat the Thanksgiving buffet - the turkey was a pressed loaf and the rest of the food was just as awful. This is a shameful thing this day and time. Pillows are huge and hard, like sleeping on cement bricks. Otherwise, this is a fun place for 3 nights and 2 ay stay in the winter, probably more in the summer when the outdoor water parks are operational. Lifeguards were terrific and plentiful. I will go again, but I won't eat there for sure, and I'll bring my own pillow!!

Room Tip: No running allowed in halls, but this is not enforced. Don't know if there is a better option...
1 Thank Kathy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
The Inn at Christmas Place
The Inn at Christmas Place
#3 of 90 in Pigeon Forge
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,996 reviews

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!