“Nice hotel, disappointed in waterpark” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Loveland, Ohio
“Nice hotel, disappointed in waterpark”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Visited dec 27-28 with family. I was impressed with hotel and ability to handle the holiday crowd. Very courteous staff, lots of amenities to offer. The indoor waterpark didn't have as many attractions as I'd expected. My kids, 11 and 14, we're quickly bored.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Thai first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was our 3rd trip to "Wilderness". Although things were not as perfect as on previous visits, we will probably go ,again.Overall, the facility was a little cluttered (stray candy wrappers,straw papers,napkins,etc.) in the hotel hallways. Our DVD player was not working, but maintenance had it fixed in less than 20 minutes after our reporting it as not working.
I filed one complaint about one rude employee in an in-house restaurant. In the Waterpark itself,our biggest complaint was young people taking our clean towels and replacing with their wet ones (not much that the Hotel can do about poor upbringing of peoples children).Also, there seemed to be more debris in the Ocean Wave area than I've ever seen there before. In summation:It is pricey, but the enjoyment that my 8 year old grandson has, does make it worth the 4 hour trip and the expense. Carol W.

Room Tip: Remember that there are 2 different hotels-one IS attached to the waterpark with LOTS of kids. The o...
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and daughter have stayed at the Wilderness twice so far and I'm sure we will again. It's a great lil get away that has stuff to do for anyone of all ages, seriously. You won't get bored and your kids will love it. That all being said, I do want to list a few things that I think could make the Wilderness a more enjoyable experience.
1. The fort - there is play fort located in the arcade area of the hotel that is awesome. It's like six levels high with slides and obstacles that your kid could play on for hours. It's a nice alternative when your through getting wet at the water park and want to do something dry for a change. Here's my problem: upon our last visit we stayed a total of four days. My daughter and I went to this fort everyday. I noticed on day one there was some candy wrapper and clumps of dust through out the fort and thought no big deal. Then I noticed it was all still there by day four. Do they not clean this thing? If cleanliness is an issue for you when it comes to your kids stay clear of the play fort.
2. In the inside pool they have three basketball goals and three balls. Presumably one ball per goal. Which in theory makes sense I guess but is extremely impractical when you have fifty or more people swimming in the pool wanting to shoot basketball. I'm not saying get more goals, three goals is plenty. But more balls perhaps? That way everyone gets a turn.
3. Restaurant in the hotel is slow and expensive. Nuff said.
4. One day at the wave pool I put my chair in the pool and sat there relaxing enjoying my stay and the life guard never bothered me. The next day I tried doing the same thing with a different life guard on duty. She scolded "no chairs in the pool"! Not a big deal, but why was I able to the day before? Consistency would be nice.
5. Last but not least: at the beginning of your stay they will give you these braclets you have to wear in order to use the waterpark. They will also give you a parking pass for your car. My wife and I never once got our braclets checked and after day 2 just took them off and no one said anything. We also never put up our parking pass and never got towed. Clearly anyone of the street could walk in there and enjoy the waterpark without paying a dime cause no one checks anything.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Luke L
Shawsville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visit the Wilderness at the Smokies about every other year - typically splitting the visit between a less expensive hotel and then 2 nights at Smokies. Our children LOVE the visit - very clean and friendly staff. We typically do not leave the resort after we arrive, simply because everything is there are the resort that we need! Food,games, fun - Everything! We would and do recommend this resort to our family and friends. Just wish it was a little more affordable!

Room Tip: Bunk rooms are great for the kids. We have two girls and a boy (7,6 and 3) - they love them! Just re...
1 Thank WimmerFamily
Douglasville, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

booked a week and stayed till New Years day with my kids age 14 and 5. Room was nice, staff was great. First day hit the indoor water park and everything was fine. My oldest enjoyed the hot tub until it was closed (for cleaning) less than 12 hours later was very sick Vomiting and diarrhea. Day 2 had to take to the ER ( nice hospital BTW) While at the small local hospital there was 6 other people in ER at the same time with same symptoms all were staying Wilderness at Smokies, and the nurse said the earlier shift saw many cases from there as well. So he spent the entire vacation in the hotel bed. Im guessing the waterpark knew people were sick from the water and over bleached the water at the park, the smell almost made you cough in the dome. My 5 year old who feeling ok went in the water for about 10 minutes came out crying and his skin was bright red with tiny bumps. Rushed him back to the room to rise with water. Needless to say our trip was bad. I understand the staff can not help it if a small child poops in the water and needs to clean things afterwards.

Room Tip: You will have a stove, microwave, fridge, coffee maker. If you have a lot of kids and don't wan...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RhondaMarseli
Homer, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was the 3rd visit to the Wilderness and again it was a wonderful trip. We spent 4 days there, including Christmas. Everywhere there was so beautifully decorated, Santa was even there when we arrived. Plus it snowed the 2nd day we were there! This year my in-laws came and stayed too. We had adjoining rooms at the Stone Hill Lodge, that's where we always stay. We always get a King room (king size bed with couch/sofa bed) on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the pool. My in-laws had a room with 2 queens beds and a balcony. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, rooms were very clean, and housekeeping always made sure we had whatever we needed. We had 3 kids all together aging from 16 to 10 yrs old. The kids (and adults) had a blast at the indoor waterpark, the outdoor ones were closed of course for winter. Also everyone enjoyed playing laser tag and bowling. There's so much to do there at the resort we only left to go eat Christmas supper and to do a little last minute shopping. We have all decided this will be our new Christmas vacation every year! It was a great stay and can't wait to go back this summer!

5 Thank Jen P
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Very family-friendly and if you love water parks, this place is for you. The rooms were nice and their staff impressed me the most - everyone from Reservations to the Front Desk to Housekeeping were super nice. FYI you must stay at their property to use the water parks.

RESERVATIONS
Rates do change and I think the rates were slightly lower when I called on a Monday. No AAA discounts -- just discounts for military and "55 & older" which are better than the special promotions on Facebook. However if you're not military or senior, then like them on Facebook to get good deals. My reservations experience was very positive - every agent I talked to was very nice, knowledgeable, always happy to answer my questions, never pushed me to make a reservation ... and they're US-based :)

RIVER LODGE VS. STONE HILL
Stayed at River Lodge b/c we wanted a full kitchen and adjoining rooms. Plus the indoor water park is located inside River Lodge. If you don't need the kitchen, stay at Stone Hill - it's more like a hotel room (vs. condo) and therefore cheaper but it's in the back of the property so you'll need to take the shuttle bus to River Lodge / indoor water park (but buses run frequently). FYI, outdoor water parks are located on both properties.

RIVER LODGE ROOMS
For our family of 6, we got the "One Bedroom Deluxe" which includes:

1) one room w/ 2 queens, 1 twin bunk, 1 full bath ... also two flatscreen TVs w/ DVD players, microwave, mini-fridge, coffeemaker (incl. coffee), and iron / board.

2) adjoining room had full kitchen, living room w/ 1 murphy queen & 1 sofa bed, fireplace, flatscreen TV w/ DVD player, and 1 full bath. Kitchen included fridge, stove/oven, microwave, coffeemaker (incl. coffee), sink, dishwasher (incl. soap), pots / pans / dishes / mugs / cups / bowls / utensils / knives.

Rooms aren't cleaned daily like hotel rooms - but Housekeeping does knock on your door daily and will replace towels. By the way, they also have free WIFI.

INDOOR WATER PARK
You'll get plastic bracelets and towel cards at check-in. Bring towel cards to the water park and exchange for towels - make sure you return the towels and get your towel cards back otherwise you'll pay a fine. Wear your bracelets to use the water park - and keep them on during your entire stay. However if you happen to remove them, just bring the "destroyed" bracelet back to the water park or front desk to get a replacement.

All kinds of fun stuff to do:
- Water playground
- Wave pool
- Hot tub
- 4 diff. waterslides
- Body surfing rider
- Swimming pool incl. water basketball court

FYI they also have other indoor activities like arcade, playground, bowling and glow-in-the-dark putt-putt.

LOCATION, FOOD OPTIONS
Good location and just a 10-min drive into Pigeon Forge / Tanger Outlets. CVS and Kroger are nearby. Closest outside dining is Golden Corral, Ryan's and Shoney's. Most of the times we ate in the room since we had a full kitchen. When we did eat out, we went to Chop House and Calhoun's - both very good. Didn't try any of the onsite dining options b/c the reviews weren't good. FYI they do have Starbucks and Krispy Kreme donuts in the candy and ice cream shop.

Overall we had a great stay and look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: If you have older adults in your party, ask for a room nearest the elevator near the indoor water pa...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
The Inn at Christmas Place
The Inn at Christmas Place
#2 of 90 in Pigeon Forge
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,959 reviews

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!